IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Should I repair and salvage title my IS350 or take the Writeoff Check?

Old 09-18-18, 12:47 AM
Rrotz
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Should I repair and salvage title my IS350 or take the Writeoff Check?

So, if some of you know, I was rear ended and my insurance company wants to write off the car where there is what I think just basic bumper cover and foam damage. Car is worth $10500, estimated damage from a shop was $9500...other shops are quoting more like $4500, parts and labor.

If I repair it, it'll be on a salvage or rebuilt title. What could I get back in an auction if I repair the damage and return the car back to cherry and also do some basic upgrades like a Wald spoiler to cover the damaged trunk, right of the Logo, add a rear diffuser, replace the split front lip, repair the damaged lower grille and upgrade the top grille to a mesh F-Sport and add a carbon fiber roof spoiler? Then add Tien coilovers to lower the car and repair/recondition the stock wheels?

Here are pics of the damage. A moderator said there was sheet metal damage that would need to be cut out and replaced/welded back in. I don't see where that is or how it can be inspected and certified as repair salvaged.

Old 09-18-18, 02:29 AM
Rrotz
Driver

Old 09-18-18, 05:38 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,476 Likes on 1,231 Posts

That is nuts! Now that you have the tear down pictures, have they inspected it and still want new metal?

What is missed in some repairs is the fact that the OEM lap joint with it spot welds, sealant, and paint isn't completely duplicated. That said the damage is so minor it could easily be pulled back into place by a competent repair shop. What I'm saying is the value in having perfect sheetmetal over every mm of a covered surface is nil.

Like when the idiots at the tire shop lift your car incorrectly and deform the floor pan. Structurally it lost what 1/2% of its strength yet its not frowned upon like the section in question here.

If it were mine, I'd be fighting to have known good shops evaluate it now that everything is exposed and not push for panel replacement. It adds no value and it totals the car.
just looked at last pic zoomed, didn't see the deformation just over the bumper. Not likely anyone can undo that.

Take the money and drive it into the ground???

Last edited by 2013FSport; 09-18-18 at 05:43 AM.
Old 09-18-18, 06:09 AM
Petet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I would fix it as cheap as possible and drive it. With a salvage title you have lost all value of the vehicle. You said IS350’s are hard to find in Hawaii, fix it and drive it.
Old 09-18-18, 12:20 PM
Rrotz
Driver

Originally Posted by Rrotz

can someone point out the sheetmetal deformation? Where is this damage that's writing off this car?

Last edited by Rrotz; 09-18-18 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-18-18, 12:45 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,280 Posts

^^^^If you have been to a few reputable shops and they can not find what "mandyfig" said, then let's assume he was wrong. I'm no expert, but if you like the car, take the money, fix it and drive it!

BTW, here's the original thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-around-3.html

Lou
Old 09-18-18, 12:51 PM
Petet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Does the truck lid close correct and line up ? If so I would put a bumper on it and call it a day.
Old 09-18-18, 01:12 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,280 Posts

^^^^Look at the first pict in the first post in the original thread I posted above.

Lou
Old 09-18-18, 01:48 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Just out of curiosity, was this rear ended previously? The R Dot sticker on the impact bar means it was replaced previously.
Old 09-18-18, 01:58 PM
Gville350

Received 428 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Zmon
Just out of curiosity, was this rear ended previously? The R Dot sticker on the impact bar means it was replaced previously.
Plus, from the factory, the crash bar won't have that Lexus P/N sticker on it! Definitely been replaced in the past!

Judging the picture taken from above the trunk looking down, the lower trunk sheet metal looks to be ever so slightly bowed in; that's why I had recommended for the shop to replace that panel. However, if they're wanting to total it, that's not going to be a factor.

Personally, I'd have them total it, I'd buy it back, fix it (PULL the sheet metal until a good, replacement trunk lid aligns to it, install new replace parts to fix broken ones, and paint), and drive it into the ground!

Good luck on your decision!
Old 09-18-18, 02:34 PM
Rrotz
Driver

It was previously in an accident. The extent I had no knowledge of except this very bad repair and scrape along the side of the bumper. This is the driver side rear wheel bumper. It's possible the bent sheet metal didn't come from my accident?

Last edited by Rrotz; 09-18-18 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-18-18, 03:27 PM
Rrotz
Driver

Quoted 4500 to repair and fix the front bumper rock chips, minus $500 for some upgrade parts like the trunk spoiler, roof spoiler, front lower bumper lip and repair the rear end.
Old 09-18-18, 07:44 PM
Dun
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to repair salvage for 10 year. Easy Pull, Repair decklid or replace, Used bumper cover. Not your fault? Rear End hit. Try to get the insurance check.
Old 09-19-18, 02:47 AM
Rrotz
Driver

Originally Posted by Dun
I used to repair salvage for 10 year. Easy Pull, Repair decklid or replace, Used bumper cover. Not your fault? Rear End hit. Try to get the insurance check.
Can I use a bumper cover from IS250? It was the other party's fault. Want to cover up the trunk with a Wald spoiler, add a rear diffuser, roof carbon fiber spoiler, sand and respray the front bumper, replace the broken lower front bumper with a F-Sport lip, replace the broken lower grille and replace the upper grille with F-Sport. Trunk latch is broken and bent out of shape.
Old 09-19-18, 07:14 AM
mfdif
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Check your state DMV on what it takes to get a salvage car registered and back on the road. In my state, you cannot drive nor sell a car with a salvage title unless you are a registered car dealer. So you may end up with a brick in your driveway. In Georgia you can only register and drive this again if you get a rebuilt title, which is a pita speaking from personal experience. There are tons of forms to fill out, an inspection (everything on the car has to work, no cels, all lights, even the horn has to work), whoever fixed the car has to provide receipts with VIN/PNs of each item fixed. You have to provide before and after pics. The police also have to come and check out the car 2x. If you are missing anything it will get denied.

After all that is said and done, your rebuilt car is worth about 50% less of what it was if it was not rebuilt.

It's only worth it if you are planning on keeping and driving the car for a long time. There is no resale value left in the car with a rebuilt title.

Last edited by mfdif; 09-19-18 at 07:17 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should I repair and salvage title my IS350 or take the Writeoff Check?