Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

yamaha moving u.s. motorcycle headquarters from LA California to Atlanta Georgia

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-18, 10:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts
Default yamaha moving u.s. motorcycle headquarters from LA California to Atlanta Georgia

this article on the move says they'll be losing something by leaving LA, but hey, porsche seems to have done ok being in atlanta.

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/new...rters-georgia/
Old 09-17-18, 11:31 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

SoCal was a glorious place--decades ago. Now it's crowded, dirty, full of homeless folks lining city streets, business-hostile, full of new regulations which will further choke profitability, and led by crazy bureaucrats in City Hall and Sacramento.

For those employees who can't bear leaving such a place for the wide-open spaces of Georgia, fine. I can understand that other factors are involved.

You may get the feeling I don't care much for the place. I used to dearly love it. I grew up there in the 60s. I know/knew the freeway system like the back of my hand, rode the twisty roads in the Malibu hills on my turbocharged motorcycle to the Rock Store one Sunday a month. But wow, change has come hard and fast and in my opinion all for the worse. The last of my extended family moved away last year. No reason now to go back. Well, okay, maybe once more before I die in order to have a Tommy's chiliburger.

EDIT: Toned my critique down a notch. And it still has great weather. So there's that.

Last edited by riredale; 09-18-18 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-17-18, 12:40 PM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The ONLY reason they are moving is money wise. All that other stuff about crowded, filthy, dirty etc. Is non sense.
Old 09-17-18, 02:54 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Kense
The ONLY reason they are moving is money wise. All that other stuff about crowded, filthy, dirty etc. Is non sense.
Its not true?
Old 09-17-18, 02:59 PM
Kense
Instructor

Originally Posted by UDel
Its not true?
"So Cal" is an enormous area that is urban and rural. I get it, most people here are right wingers that hate "liberal dirty California". But to answer your question, no it's not true. This is "So Cal" also, doesn't look very dirty to me.

Old 09-17-18, 06:41 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

One picture represents everything?
Old 09-17-18, 07:03 PM
Kense
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
One picture represents everything?
As opposed to calling all of So Cal dirty, polluted and what ever else?
Old 09-18-18, 01:59 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Didn’t even know Yamaha had a headquarters in CA lol
Old 09-18-18, 05:47 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 582 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Didn’t even know Yamaha had a headquarters in CA lol
Haha same. They act like they're going to pull the entire dealer network and stop selling in CA. The actual location of the corp HQ rarely matters
Old 09-18-18, 06:06 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kense
"So Cal" is an enormous area that is urban and rural. I get it, most people here are right wingers that hate "liberal dirty California". But to answer your question, no it's not true. This is "So Cal" also, doesn't look very dirty to me.

yup, socal is beautiful. it's no surprise that people from dirt hole, middle of nowhere that has a bad opinion about it.

Old 09-18-18, 07:31 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Haha same. They act like they're going to pull the entire dealer network and stop selling in CA. The actual location of the corp HQ rarely matters
I agree. These days it's a non-factor. Toyota to Texas, Boeing to Chicago etc.
Old 09-18-18, 07:35 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I agree. These days it's a non-factor. Toyota to Texas, Boeing to Chicago etc.
it was bound to happen, long term these corps wont pay higher taxes when it does not give them competitive advantage... they can invest money they saved into expanding R&D (which is what Toyota is spending heavily on in the US). Just makes zero sense to have administrative HQ in state with highest costs.
Old 09-18-18, 07:47 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Socal has its good and bad parts, like most other places. You do have areas where a bunch of homeless people hang out with trash littered on the streets. Within the same city, you'll find some of the most expensive/nicest homes in the area.

I live near the Yamaha plant. It's quite big so I'm interested to see who will occupy that space. Perhaps they will tear it down and build new homes..
Old 09-18-18, 07:56 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

We love CA! My wife lived there in grad school and we both have family there.

I've requested a transfer within my company. If/when that ever pans out, we'll move down there. The gray Seattle weather takes a toll...

As for Yamaha, it's not totally surprising. Corporate HQs frequently move for a better business environment. If they can find a better locale, then more power to them.
Old 09-18-18, 08:20 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormwind
yup, socal is beautiful. it's no surprise that people from dirt hole, middle of nowhere that has a bad opinion about it.
I feel like these are the same people that would say "I don't have to go to Detroit to know that it smells like garbage".

Aside from the ****ty *** laws and housing market, I wouldn't trade LA for another city (unless there is a Caribbean city that has the same diversity in food/living standard).

Quick Reply: yamaha moving u.s. motorcycle headquarters from LA California to Atlanta Georgia