IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS Rear Leg Room - Tall and baby friendly?

Old 09-16-18, 01:34 PM
Xenova
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS Rear Leg Room - Tall and baby friendly?

Question for those who own or have sat in the back of a 3rd gen IS, how is the rear legroom? I've tried sitting in the back at the dealership but it was immobile and I'd rather hear from someone with experience on the road. I don't often have back passengers but when I do, some of my friends are 6ft. and I wouldn't want it to be torturous for them. I also may foresee a kid in 5 years time so not sure how baby-friendly it is either.

Personally, when I sat in it while immobile, the rear leg space didn't feel much different from my current 2015 Civic EX (although the specs state a whopping 4 inch difference shorter than the civic). That being said, I never sit in the back so I have no idea what it's like.

If the vehicle is not tall (6 ft+) or baby friendly in the rear, then it may be a deal breaker for me. I know there are alternatives like the ES but I'd like to keep the discussion to just the IS.

Much thanks!

Last edited by Xenova; 09-16-18 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-16-18, 03:24 PM
gianttama
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Baby friendly - yes
6 ft - depends of u r behind another 6 ft of someone small. I wouldn't want to be a 6 ft sitting behind another 6 ft in a long drive.
Old 09-16-18, 04:28 PM
chinox22x
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I have an is300 base model, I have 3 kids, twin 9 yr olds and a 3 year old. Im going to say the back seat is not kid friendly nor tall person friendly. The 3 kids are cramped in there with a car seat. I bought a van for family travels for that reason.
Old 09-16-18, 06:16 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

It depends where you are placing the rear facing baby (which takes up more space than the front facing) seat. You could place a rear facing seat directly behind the driver seat If you are under 5'8" driving the vehicle I am 5'5" and I can seat comfortably in the drivers seat and have about an inch space between the top of the driver's seat to the car seat. And it will be a challenge for seating a 6' or taller person in the rear seats especially behind the driver's seat. I would look into a GS instead.
Old 09-16-18, 06:39 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,559 Posts

IS is small. You'd be better off w/ a 2018 Civic for interior room.
Old 09-16-18, 08:43 PM
jnesss
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i’m 6ft. i fit in the back of my IS, but it’s a small car overall. my friend has 2011 accord sedan and i’ve sat in the back. that car is beyond roomy. if you need more room, look at the sienna. my sister has one and man, the stuff you can haul with that thing is ridiculous LOL.

edit - if you’re going to have a kid in the next couple years, just get an SUV. you’re going to hate yourself, trying to fit a stroller into an IS trunk. my friends with kids, all have SUVS. the RX350 f sport is hotness.
Old 09-18-18, 07:09 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
IS is small. You'd be better off w/ a 2018 Civic for interior room.
My folks have a '16 Civic and it has a lot more back seat room than my '16 IS has. It also does not have the transmission tunnel, so that gives a bit more room in the middle. I am 5'8" and there is room for someone in the back seat who is around the same height when I'm driving. Taller folks would probably feel a bit crammed in if seated in the back.
Old 09-18-18, 10:31 AM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

As others have said, rear facing baby seats is a tight fit, especially if tall people sit in the front.

Old 09-18-18, 10:36 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Workable? I'd say yes. Friendly? Eh...questionable.

I don't feel that the back seat is "torturous", even for 6 ft people. It's a bit tight, but I never felt bad about having adults back there. I did find that a rear facing car seat was a challenge that limited the usefulness of my IS. When I had it in the right rear seat, I had to move the front passenger seat up so far that my wife (at 5'8") could not comfortably ride. This was a pretty significant reason for why I swapped my IS for a GS.
Old 09-20-18, 12:39 PM
Maxxxx
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm 5'9" and I still have 2 fists of leg room when sitting straight behind the seat I have adjusted...maybe still 1 fist when sitting low so my head doesn't hit the roof. It's do-able but not friendly, I use it as a 2 seater anyways ;P
Old 09-20-18, 10:28 PM
Lveyolfe
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I’m 5’10 and sit a little farther back then the average person id say & people who sit in my back seat always knee the back of my seat. So no I don’t think the rear seats are kid/tall person friendly
Old 09-21-18, 02:37 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,485 Likes on 1,796 Posts

Originally Posted by Lveyolfe
I’m 5’10 and sit a little farther back then the average person id say & people who sit in my back seat always knee the back of my seat. So no I don’t think the rear seats are kid/tall person friendly
I'm 5' 11" and have not had such an issue. But I also sit closer than someone else my height might - I don't like reaching for the steering wheel or pedals. So it partly depends on your preference.

Sitting in the back of my own car I would say it's snug but not tight, per se. I could probably be comfy back there for a while, but to be honest I haven't actually been in the back it while it was moving.
Old 09-21-18, 02:43 PM
nhawk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The back of the IS is very small and even hilarious to see with 3 high schoolers sitting back there... the middle person's head will be against the roof. Lol
Old 09-21-18, 03:03 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,485 Likes on 1,796 Posts

Originally Posted by nhawk
The back of the IS is very small and even hilarious to see with 3 high schoolers sitting back there... the middle person's head will be against the roof. Lol
High schoolers? The middle seat is obviously intended for two things: kindergartners and medium-sized sacks of potatoes.
Old 09-21-18, 03:07 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

Why are people complaining about the space in a COMPACT car? lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IS Rear Leg Room - Tall and baby friendly?