LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

anyone ever tried to "update" an LS400?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-18, 02:33 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Default anyone ever tried to "update" an LS400?

as in retrofitting 21st century lexus technology into one.. like push start w/key fob, smart access system, BSM, parking sensors, radar cruise w/LKA, pano roof, etc..

guessing it would be extremely expensive and pointless, but has anyone ever tried it?
Old 09-12-18, 03:24 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

pretty much the only things i'd like to be able to retrofit are steering wheel volume controls, the "mode" button on the wheel to be an up and down rocker button like the temperature instead of a button that can only cycle in one direction (i only really look at current mpg and tank avg), turn signals that can blink 3 times with one touch, usb audio connection, ventilated seats would be nice, and maybe a little bit more manual control over the transmission. the tuning is so damn near perfect on it though it really doesn't need that.

oh and another thing, if the cruise control didn't completely cancel itself when you dropped below 20. on my E class the cruise will also cancel but once you go above the minimum speed you can still resume the old set speed. on the LS it gets completely erased and you need to start over again. many roads will be 60 mph roads but still have red lights on them, and it'd be nice to just have to get to 20 or so after the light and just hit resume. now i'm just nitpicking though haha..
Old 09-12-18, 04:54 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

it really depends on what you value as an "update".
I feel upgrading the stereo to accept Bluetooth or at least an AUX input makes it more modern.
the rest like BSM, rear back up camera, parking sensors are just aids...though I do appreciate rear back up camera esp when parallel parking.

anyone can add a proximity key and a push start like the modern lexus quite easily, as simple as installing an alarm system.
Old 09-13-18, 01:15 AM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I really wish my 97 had a trunk button under the decklid like most modern cars have. I know it has a power trunk button so it shouldn't be that difficult to install.
Old 09-13-18, 01:29 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

Id just wanna try to add an aux in port
Old 09-13-18, 04:35 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Stereorob
as in retrofitting 21st century lexus technology into one.. like push start w/key fob, smart access system, BSM, parking sensors, radar cruise w/LKA, pano roof, etc.. guessing it would be extremely expensive and pointless, but has anyone ever tried it?
Adding these features would cost many times the insurance value of any year LS400.

The LS400 of all years were wonderful in their day but they lack the safety and convenience features of a current model year Toyota Corolla. Enjoy these cars for what they were which was best in their class when they were new.

Old 09-13-18, 04:37 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin1UZFE
Id just wanna try to add an aux in port
Search this forum. Instructions on how to add a aux-in port have been posted. Several of us, including me, had Factory Radio Service in California add aux-in ports to our LS400's.
Old 09-13-18, 04:55 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas
Search this forum. Instructions on how to add a aux-in port have been posted. Several of us, including me, had Factory Radio Service in California add aux-in ports to our LS400's.
My 99 has the nav with the touchscreen
Old 09-14-18, 01:30 AM
Bylan
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

I added an AUX to my 1997 LS400 with an FM modulator off amazon, called the "Simple IS31 Antenna Bypass Modulator". It plugs in-line with the FM-antenna and becomes a preset radio station, and has an on-off switch in case you want to use the preset station or just dont want the unit running while youre not using it. I installed it behind the head-unit and got a RCA to AUX cable that runs out from the center console. Sound is way better than any cassette adapter, though not as good as CD's and it could be a bit louder, but its probably best to preserve a bit of my hearing. Cost like $30 total and took ~3 hours, I highly recommend.
Old 09-16-18, 09:35 PM
TrapMaster
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you do it all yourself you could get all of those features transferred over using mostly oem parts at a pretty reasonable price. Just be ready to scour salvage/used parts places and then spend a TON of time finding, and then studying, wiring diagrams from your car and any car you acquired parts from. It would be a lot of work but you could do it. If you're not prepared to go through all that and want to pay someone to do it, it probably isn't worth it.
Old 09-17-18, 05:42 AM
t4l
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 1997 LS400 has nearly everything I could want in a car. I stay away from new stuff, so I'm sure I'm missing out, but a handful of "updates" that would be nice are:

-Stereo (This is as easy as getting an aftermarket head unit)
-Auto down / auto up windows all around. (Our 2003 LX470 has this and even the sunroof is auto-close without the stop halfway). It's super handy!
-Cooled/vented seats in addition to the heaters.
Old 09-19-18, 07:09 PM
TrapMaster
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm 100% with you on wanting the sunroof and windows having full one touch operation. You can find DIY circuit plans for auto up/down windows through google. I'd imagine the sunroof circuit would be pretty similar. Just a matter of whether or not you want to spend the time and money doing it. So far I haven't felt like doing anything about it but I open the windows and sunroof whenever possible so it would be really nice.

A note on the auto up feature: If you have kids you might not want DIY or retrofitted auto up windows or you could end up with some accidentally sandwiched fingers.
Old 09-19-18, 08:29 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Why would anyone want more electronic crap on a car? I'd rather down grade it my self, make it easy to fix in the middle of nowhere.
The following users liked this post:
dlcoffin (04-13-19)
Old 09-19-18, 10:52 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I added LED bulbs to my 97' since the halogens were subpar. Living in Michigan now and the roads and lighting are horrible compared to Arizona so I had to.
Old 09-20-18, 07:45 AM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
I added LED bulbs to my 97' since the halogens were subpar..
Agreed.I always get the best lighting upgrade I can without being obnoxious about it.

Quick Reply: anyone ever tried to "update" an LS400?