Carbon build up

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-18, 08:12 AM
lolkalo22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon build up

Hello guys I'm a new user and I have a question,

my lexus 2007 is250 has 79xxx miles on it and I been reading about the carbon build up since is a GDI engine, I just want to know if one of you have experienced carbon build up on the valves and if so at what milage?

there's this 2 products on the auto parts store

CRC valve and turbo cleaning.

seafoam.

Car is running great so that's my concern if a have clean the valves at a certain milage or something.

if one of you guys have used it and give you results let me know please.

thanks for your time.

Old 09-11-18, 08:55 AM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Since your engine has DI, you can and probably should run some fuel system cleaner through it. You could also introduce some cleaning agents through the intake to wash the valves, but if you want to prevent carbon build up in the IS250, get a Oil Catch Can.

Old 09-11-18, 05:26 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

had carbon buildup at 60k miles, got it walnut blasted, and now it's clean.. for now. Going to get it redone at 120k miles
Old 09-12-18, 03:18 AM
Droosive
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I get mine walnut blasted once every 2 years

I get mine professionally walnut blasted every 2 yrs..But I’m now planing on doing this annually..once you get Carbon build up..the engine would have to be dismantled..its a simple procedure well..maybe not that simple but..looking at the labor..you’re lookin at least $2,000 dollars..better to be safe than sorry.

Last edited by Droosive; 09-12-18 at 03:21 AM.
Old 09-12-18, 10:34 AM
ostneb
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How many times have you walnut blasted your car? I am very curious to hear how much build up you get over 2 years as I haven't heard anyone cleaning their intakes that often. thanks!
Old 09-13-18, 09:47 AM
Droosive
10th Gear

Default Walnut Blast

My car has 181,500 miles..so i try my best when it come to preventative maintenance ..I recently had my car walnut blasted..and the technicians said there was a good amount of carbon found within the course of 1 year. My last carbon clean up was at 169,000 miles so..it definitely gets carbon build up ..the dealership said do it every 2 to 4 years while my mechanic usually recommends 2 yrs but he said for my car..do it annually if possible. I highly recommend not following what the dealer says.. there in the business of selling cars rather than fixing them.
Old 09-13-18, 03:02 PM
Drizell
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes the damn carbon build up. The almost MOST talked about thread. I have a 2010 IS250 RWD with 109K mile. Carbon started affecting me when I am idle position or coming to a stop at a light.
I couldent find anyone in SW Florida that will walnut blast for me. Most never did on a Lexus. In the mean time this how I got mine cleared or running better.

Step 1: By 3 bottles of the more costly brand of fuel injection cleaners from Auto zone or whatever. Pour all 3 in.
Step 2: Use only SHELL Gasoline Premium 93 and up. Only use Shell gas stations. None of the rest, no race trac, 711 none of that.
Step 3: Rev up the car so RPMS are close to Red zone. Drive it alittle aggresive, maybe on the way home from work.

Watch the difference the enxt morning as I promise this will resolve you for a good 6 months. Then you can worry about walnust blasting if you willing to pay high dollar.
Lexus Dealer will do top Engine clean for $600.00 They will not promise it works but it is there only option there.
Old 09-13-18, 04:25 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 768 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by Drizell
Yes the damn carbon build up. The almost MOST talked about thread. I have a 2010 IS250 RWD with 109K mile. Carbon started affecting me when I am idle position or coming to a stop at a light.
I couldent find anyone in SW Florida that will walnut blast for me. Most never did on a Lexus. In the mean time this how I got mine cleared or running better.

Step 1: By 3 bottles of the more costly brand of fuel injection cleaners from Auto zone or whatever. Pour all 3 in.
Step 2: Use only SHELL Gasoline Premium 93 and up. Only use Shell gas stations. None of the rest, no race trac, 711 none of that.
Step 3: Rev up the car so RPMS are close to Red zone. Drive it alittle aggresive, maybe on the way home from work.

Watch the difference the enxt morning as I promise this will resolve you for a good 6 months. Then you can worry about walnust blasting if you willing to pay high dollar.
Lexus Dealer will do top Engine clean for $600.00 They will not promise it works but it is there only option there.
I don't think this helps the carbon issue. As the fuel never makes contact with the valves backside for the IS250. Maybe what you are experiencing is with the fuel system cleaner actually cleaning the fuel injection parts. At that milage I would suspect it's time for a fuel filter change. There's a thread on where the OP was able to clean the valves pretty good with just chemical. Though on a severally carboned up engine. It will definitely have to be walnut blasted for best results.

Last edited by MikeFig82; 09-13-18 at 04:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Drizell (09-14-18)
Old 09-13-18, 05:32 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Droosive
My car has 181,500 miles..so i try my best when it come to preventative maintenance ..I recently had my car walnut blasted..and the technicians said there was a good amount of carbon found within the course of 1 year. My last carbon clean up was at 169,000 miles so..it definitely gets carbon build up ..the dealership said do it every 2 to 4 years while my mechanic usually recommends 2 yrs but he said for my car..do it annually if possible. I highly recommend not following what the dealer says.. there in the business of selling cars rather than fixing them.
how much does walnut blast cost ?

Are there any signs when car needs it?

My is only turned 9,700 miles and wave to Be on top of it

thanks
Old 09-14-18, 03:13 AM
IamLexus
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm at 145k I don't think Oil Catch Can will do me any good now, but I've always used top tier gas such as Mobil 1 and Shell. Sadly, I would love to do a walnut blasting but none here in West Michigan
Old 09-14-18, 06:44 AM
Droosive
10th Gear

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover

how much does walnut blast cost ?

Are there any signs when car needs it?

My is only turned 9,700 miles and wave to Be on top of it

thanks
Yea their definitely are signs..the most prominent one I know of is when the car is at a red light or just stopped at idle..you’ll see the rev or rpm bouncing up and down ..as if it needs a tune-up or spark plugs..now it could be that but usually it’s the carbon build up. It usually costs at the dealership $3-4 hundred dollars but you can also go to grease monkey or tires plus for the same thing, it usually costs $130 but they call it a different thing..forgot what it was.

Last edited by Droosive; 09-14-18 at 06:48 AM.
Old 09-14-18, 10:24 AM
Drizell
Driver

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
I don't think this helps the carbon issue. As the fuel never makes contact with the valves backside for the IS250. Maybe what you are experiencing is with the fuel system cleaner actually cleaning the fuel injection parts. At that milage I would suspect it's time for a fuel filter change. There's a thread on where the OP was able to clean the valves pretty good with just chemical. Though on a severally carboned up engine. It will definitely have to be walnut blasted for best results.
I agree. I mean everytime i take it to Lexus and request to do what ever you have to, and keep this car in great shape. They never replace crap. I get the usual Oil change and fluid fill up. I normaly experience carb issues when its very humid in Florida summers or if Im due for an oil change. The Fuel Injector and Shell gas has made a big improvement. Now I do not want to sell the car as much. Except those damn tires for 1,000. Last like 8 months then need a new set with mild driving. Im like good lord.
Old 09-14-18, 11:01 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 768 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by Drizell
I agree. I mean everytime i take it to Lexus and request to do what ever you have to, and keep this car in great shape. They never replace crap. I get the usual Oil change and fluid fill up. I normaly experience carb issues when its very humid in Florida summers or if Im due for an oil change. The Fuel Injector and Shell gas has made a big improvement. Now I do not want to sell the car as much. Except those damn tires for 1,000. Last like 8 months then need a new set with mild driving. Im like good lord.
When's the last time you had a basic tune up? Maybe a new set up plugs, throttle body clean, a new PCV, air filter... ect.

I would try to see if any of these things would help. Maybe even just clean the MAF sensor. Bring new life to a high milage car. As for the tires some upgraded LCA bushings would help. Check your alignment specs too for longer tire wear. If you feel your dealer isn't do good on your car. Find an Indy Lexus reputable shop. Going to the dealer is not always the best option.
Old 09-14-18, 11:58 AM
Drizell
Driver

Thanks Mike. I appreciate it. I wrote it all down and will have this done by end of month. MAF sensor, i did not think of that. Ya as far as basic tune up, they never did one when i check Service records with Lex.
The LCA bushings, I checked online and wrote that down as well as you mentioned. Hopefully I can get all this done for under 2g including all 4 new tires and align with basic tune up. Still dealing with sticky dashboard but it is not that bad as i have seen some ppls ride. Thanks again Mike for helping me on this thread and previous ones when i first joined the Forum backin april last year. You helped out with common questions when i just purchased my first Lexus. Thanks Man!

2010 IS 250 RWD-106k Basic tuneup Needed
Old 09-16-18, 06:22 PM
alexandled
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where do you guys go for walnut blasting?

Quick Reply: Carbon build up