IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Changing Light Bulbs IS F

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-18, 01:21 AM
OneFastF
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Changing Light Bulbs IS F

Tried looking around, and can't seem to find instructions on changing the D4S bulb... Its very tight in the IS F engine bay and want to make sure I won't break anything. Anyone help before I do something wrong? :/
Old 09-05-18, 05:02 AM
topguy573
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

driver side, remove the windshield washer unit, passenger side remove the intake. Seems like a pain in the butt, but not that hard to do.
Old 09-05-18, 08:09 PM
JKweezy
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

This is my thread that i made

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ts-w-pics.html

it'll make it easier removing the intake box for the passenger side.
The following users liked this post:
FSUpra (06-25-19)
Old 09-06-18, 12:10 AM
OneFastF
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JKweezy

Thank you just did it. After changing my bulbs I realized my headlight Don't havr a horziontal aim, I slid the bulbs in and madr surr they don't wiggle insife. Im 25 ft away
Old 09-06-18, 12:18 AM
OneFastF
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JKweezy

Oh yeah thats also for the DRL not the D4S bulbs..
Old 09-07-18, 09:01 AM
PatrickISF
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by OneFastF
Thank you just did it. After changing my bulbs I realized my headlight Don't havr a horziontal aim, I slid the bulbs in and madr surr they don't wiggle insife. Im 25 ft away
The bulbs need to be seated properly - there is a slit in the bulb base that it has to sit right in the housing. If you twist the bulb around it should eventually lock in place where the slit is. I would just double check that before adjusting anything, especially if your headlight aiming was ok before you replaced the bulbs.
Old 09-07-18, 09:37 AM
OneFastF
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PatrickISF
The bulbs need to be seated properly - there is a slit in the bulb base that it has to sit right in the housing. If you twist the bulb around it should eventually lock in place where the slit is. I would just double check that before adjusting anything, especially if your headlight aiming was ok before you replaced the bulbs.

Double check to lock into place, looks better. And gave a bit more white for myself. Thanks.
Old 12-11-18, 03:25 PM
SatComm302
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good info here, thanks.

I just had my low beams replaced on my 2012 F with the Phillips D4S C1 bulbs and I’m now hearing two high-pitched whines that weren’t there before the bulb were swapped. Is this normal? It’s pretty loud so it has me a bit concerned. TIA
Old 12-13-18, 12:03 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Originally Posted by SatComm302
Good info here, thanks.

I just had my low beams replaced on my 2012 F with the Phillips D4S C1 bulbs and I’m now hearing two high-pitched whines that weren’t there before the bulb were swapped. Is this normal? It’s pretty loud so it has me a bit concerned. TIA
Are you sure you didn't get counterfeits? I replaced mine with genuine Philips and had no change at all.
SatComm302 (12-13-18)
Old 12-13-18, 11:49 AM
SatComm302
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Are you sure you didn't get counterfeits? I replaced mine with genuine Philips and had no change at all.
Thanks. I wouldn’t know how to determine if they’re fake. I ordered them from Amazon and they both came in sealed Phillips cardboard containers so they looked legit to me.

Could it possibly be an installation issue (not seated/oriented correctly, etc.)?
Old 12-13-18, 09:43 PM
ISpurFect
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I work for an automotive lighting and modification shop. I asked my technicians about your issue and the first thing they said was that cheap bulbs could cause this issue. I bought some halogen Philips bulbs on Amazon for my high beams and got a great deal. I was pumped but then read the product reviews of people claiming they were counterfeit and how companies go to great lengths to pass off their counterfeit Philips bulbs as real. Honestly I cannot say for certain that your bulbs are counterfeit however from my experience of installing HID bulbs I have yet to come across this issue with genuine Philips bulbs. I did a quick search on Amazon for "Phillips D4S C1" and found some bulbs for $44. I don't know if this is what you purchased but that price seems too good to be true. I would highly doubt that your issue would be caused by the bulb not seated properly or oriented correctly. If the bulb was making poor contact with the igniter it may not work at all, flicker, or ignite and go out. It would not cause high pitched whines. If it was not seated properly in the housing then it would effect your beam pattern. If this problem continues to bother you, I would look at purchasing new bulbs and would refrain from purchasing them off of Amazon.
SatComm302 (12-19-18)
Old 12-14-18, 11:54 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Start here for a check: http://www.chk.philips.com/gb_en/

https://www.thecounterfeitreport.com...nd-Lights.html
SatComm302 (12-19-18)
Old 12-14-18, 12:44 PM
ssis300
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I literally JUST changed mine a few days ago. Only had to remove the 3 engine covers and the water fill tube, and there was good enough room to access both driver and passenger sides. I will say that I upgraded to OSRAM Xenarc D4S bulbs and the look is a much truer white, without the compromise of lumens......and at a fraction of the cost: $110 for the pair right now on Amazon PRIME.

Link to OSRAM D4S on Amazon:
Amazon Amazon

If you also search for OSRAM D4S on this forum, you will find other great reviews. Good luck!

For grins, I called Lexus and they quoted $204 EACH, for the OEM bulbs, and an ADDITIONAL $100 EACH for installation.....so all in for just over $600. Thank you Amazon Prime.
Old 12-18-18, 05:44 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ssis300
I literally JUST changed mine a few days ago. Only had to remove the 3 engine covers and the water fill tube, and there was good enough room to access both driver and passenger sides. I will say that I upgraded to OSRAM Xenarc D4S bulbs and the look is a much truer white, without the compromise of lumens......and at a fraction of the cost: $110 for the pair right now on Amazon PRIME.

Link to OSRAM D4S on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Osram-Xenarc-...K30/ref=sr_1_5

That link only had 2 reviews and the rest of the other reviews are horrible
Old 12-19-18, 03:38 PM
SatComm302
Driver

Originally Posted by ISpurFect
I work for an automotive lighting and modification shop. I asked my technicians about your issue and the first thing they said was that cheap bulbs could cause this issue. I bought some halogen Philips bulbs on Amazon for my high beams and got a great deal. I was pumped but then read the product reviews of people claiming they were counterfeit and how companies go to great lengths to pass off their counterfeit Philips bulbs as real. Honestly I cannot say for certain that your bulbs are counterfeit however from my experience of installing HID bulbs I have yet to come across this issue with genuine Philips bulbs. I did a quick search on Amazon for "Phillips D4S C1" and found some bulbs for $44. I don't know if this is what you purchased but that price seems too good to be true. I would highly doubt that your issue would be caused by the bulb not seated properly or oriented correctly. If the bulb was making poor contact with the igniter it may not work at all, flicker, or ignite and go out. It would not cause high pitched whines. If it was not seated properly in the housing then it would effect your beam pattern. If this problem continues to bother you, I would look at purchasing new bulbs and would refrain from purchasing them off of Amazon.
Thanks for the great info, guys!

I had one box from my purchase and the authenticity seal was good and it checked out on the Philips site. I guess I’ll just go with it and see how they do at this point. I’ll let y’all know if I have any problems other than the whining noises that aren’t noticeable while driving.

Here’s the Amazon link for the two bulbs that I bought from them.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-D4S-Authentic-Xenon-HID/dp/B00480J4I2/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Lexus%7C75&Model=IS%20F%7C6787&Year=2012%7C2012&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&newVehicle=1&s=automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive https://www.amazon.com/Philips-D4S-Authentic-Xenon-HID/dp/B00480J4I2/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Lexus%7C75&Model=IS%20F%7C6787&Year=2012%7C2012&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&newVehicle=1&s=automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive

Last edited by SatComm302; 12-19-18 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Link added.