RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Switching from Nx to Rx, atomic silver or cashmere?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-18, 07:17 PM
AlaskaRN
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Switching from Nx to Rx, atomic silver or cashmere?

Hi from Alaska -
I currently have a 2016 NX F sport. When I decided to get this vehicle I had the crazy idea that I wanted nebula gray with a black interior. I have since learned that I dislike both. I live in rural Alaska down a dirt road - the gray always looks dirty and the black shows every single speck of dust. I keep a duster in my car and the dust look just drives me crazy!! I have also found out that the longer I have the sport seats, the more I dislike them. We still have my 2002 Rx which we bought new (I decided I wanted a new lexus, but hubby still drives "goldy" as he lovingly calls her). The seats in the 2002 are so much more comfortable. My lease will be ending soon and I am planning to change back to an RX. (I miss the wood accents) :-)
I'm trying to decide between atomic silver and satin cashmere. If you have one or the other, why did you chose that color and do you still like it? How does it do with showing dirt? Are the regular seats in the RX different than the sport seats? Most people can just go to their local Lexus dealer and check all the colors and seats out; however, like I said, I live in rural Alaska and the nearest Lexus dealer is a 4 hour one way drive. So I thought I'd ask those in the know on here. Thanks in advance for suggestions!
Old 09-01-18, 10:02 PM
Leap
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The silver should hide dirt pretty well, however it is pretty plain looking. I think the cashmere actually looks pretty nice in person which was surprising to me when I saw it. But it will be harder to keep clean than the silver.

Also the cashmeres are pretty rare from what I have seen, so you might have a little more trouble finding one with the options you want, or end up placing an order. The blacks, whites, grey/silvers are very common.
The following users liked this post:
Seabone726 (04-04-20)
Old 09-02-18, 04:04 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,157 Likes on 747 Posts

Sounds weird but no wood accents in the NX was one of the deciders not to get a NX for me. Good decision not to get gray or black. Those colors are hard to keep clean in the lower 48. Could not imagine what those colors in Alaska would look like in February. Atomic silver is a beautiful unique color but will show more dirt than the cashmere or silver lining like my RX or ES.
Old 09-02-18, 04:32 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

My subjective 2 cents worth. I have the cashmere (named Johnny Cash - mere), and really love it. It is a little unusual, and garners a lot of positive comments. My wife has the pearl white RX (Pearly Mae), and it is also good looking, but I prefer the cashmere.

Both of my RXs were Lexus Certified. We chose the pearl white car, but the cashmere was purchased without me even seeing it. The salesman said it had the options I wanted (fully loaded) and then brought it to me, a two hour drive. I loved it when I first saw it, and love it even more now.

As for looking dirty, both of mine tend to look cleaner longer than a darker color or silver. I had a silver Honda CRV.

Last edited by rxtimes2; 09-02-18 at 04:42 AM.
Seabone726 (04-04-20)
Old 09-02-18, 07:17 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,622 Likes on 1,035 Posts

My GS is Atomic Silver. Of all the colors I’ve had, it easily hides dirt the best. Even when it’s quite filthy it looks pretty good. Cashmere is not to my personal liking but either color should hide dirt well.
Old 09-02-18, 11:31 AM
DyaDya
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Funny topic because it is SOOOOOO subjective. Lot to say about this due to my experience but generally speaking nobody wants to hear it, (like me telling you what i did on my summer vacation). so i will just say, my observations IMHO...
-Automic Silver. Hands down the best color in a showroom or cloudy conditions WHEN CLEAN. In bright sun. Mehhhhh. When dusty Mehhhhh. It just loses all its color edge by being wiped out by the sun.
-Interior color is extremely important! probably really more so. Get an exterior you can live with if you can't decide, and Interior you love.
-One day i liked one exterior color, the next day another. All dependent on the lighting.
-some color combos look classy, others look fun. I don't think you can really have both. I weighed a lot of things and decided to go with the not fun, maybe boring, but what i think
always can look classy - nebula gray/stratus gray Luxury trim. Didn't get Red/tan which would have been fun. Just cant have both at the same time! My last car was a red Honda CRV.
Loved it! But that was 20 years ago. So its an age thing also.
-When they are clean, they pretty much all look good. When dirty your mileage may vary.
Seabone726 (04-04-20)
Old 09-02-18, 02:32 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,017 Likes on 695 Posts

There is no question that anyone's opinion about whether a particular color looks good or not is quite subjective. My subjective opinion is that the Atomic Silver is one of the most stunningly beautiful colors available.

What is not subjective, however, is that the beauty of the Atomic Silver can be difficult to maintain. First, it is a color that will show polishing swirls and surface scratches more easily than most colors. What is more significant, however, is that, if any paint repairs are needed, whether they are major repairs or something as minor as using touch-up paint to repair small stone nicks, the Atomic Silver is one of the most difficult colors for which to get a satisfactory color match.

The Atomic Silver is a 4 or 5 stage finish, which is what gives it its depth, but it is virtually impossible to duplicate outside of the factory. If a bumper or other body panel needs to be refinished, it most certainly will require that the new paint be blended into adjacent panels to try to conceal the color mismatch. And even touch ups of small stone nicks will stick out like a sore thumb. From one angle, the touch up will look darker than the surrounding finish, and, from a different angle, it will look lighter than the surrounding area.

If I ever owned an Atomic Silver vehicle, I would 1) try to protect the finish as much as possible by getting a very complete paint protection film package that included the full front bumper, the full hood, the full front fenders, and more applied to the car, 2) pray daily that I never needed to have a bumper or other panel refinished, 3) never let anyone else wash the car and never use a commercial car wash, and 4) hope that any of my tendencies toward being OCD allowed me to live with far less than perfect paint matches for even minor touch ups.
Old 09-03-18, 12:49 AM
Rarebird
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Arrow

I have a Satin Cashmere RX ‘17 with light beige parchment seats, chocolate upper trim and bamboo wood - looove this light combo. I stayed away from a black interior on purpose.... when it gets hot I don’t like getting into a hot seat. I also don’t like looking for something in very dark space. Same for buying purses/wallets with dark lining. My prior white sports car had a black interior and I could never find anything in that.

Since I live in NJ close to NYC, RXs are everywhere. So I was able to get a good look at all colors inside and out for few years through all seasons, summers and winters before buying mine. In our area, the most popular colors are all varieties of grays, see them most. Lots of dark interior trims. Actually a lot of cashmeres around, at least 4-5 each time I’m out. I like the way cashmere hides dirt, almost invisible. Personally, i only paid for car wash maybe 3 times in 12k miles. I like to say when it rains it’s free car wash . Car always looks clean anyway, not garaged, always outside.

this is my first Lexus. had a light blue camry, red rav4, a white muscle car, not a Toyota lol. Out of previous cars, light blue was the very best for hiding dirt. I would buy another, but I lost at least $1000 selling my light blue Camry, just very difficult to sell an otherwise super desirable car with odd color.
Seabone726 (04-04-20)
Old 09-03-18, 03:47 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,157 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by Rarebird
I have a Satin Cashmere RX ‘17 with light beige parchment seats, chocolate upper trim and bamboo wood - looove this light combo. I stayed away from a black interior on purpose.... when it gets hot I don’t like getting into a hot seat. I also don’t like looking for something in very dark space. Same for buying purses/wallets with dark lining. My prior white sports car had a black interior and I could never find anything in that.

Since I live in NJ close to NYC, RXs are everywhere. So I was able to get a good look at all colors inside and out for few years through all seasons, summers and winters before buying mine. In our area, the most popular colors are all varieties of grays, see them most. Lots of dark interior trims. Actually a lot of cashmeres around, at least 4-5 each time I’m out. I like the way cashmere hides dirt, almost invisible. Personally, i only paid for car wash maybe 3 times in 12k miles. I like to say when it rains it’s free car wash . Car always looks clean anyway, not garaged, always outside.

this is my first Lexus. had a light blue camry, red rav4, a white muscle car, not a Toyota lol. Out of previous cars, light blue was the very best for hiding dirt. I would buy another, but I lost at least $1000 selling my light blue Camry, just very difficult to sell an otherwise super desirable car with odd color.
Rarebird you are not because I agree with you 100%. I know it is a matter of taste but I like you would never own a dark interior. Both our ES and RX has the chocolate dash and trim with light tan seats and bamboo accents. Wife and I both love this combo. I don't think now that I can ever buy a vehicle with a black dash. It show so much lint and just to ordinary looking. I am meticulous about a clean car and our silver linings color needs washing about once a month if that.

Last edited by Freds430; 09-03-18 at 03:52 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Freds430:
Rarebird (09-04-18), Seabone726 (04-04-20)
Old 09-03-18, 07:17 AM
rusn007
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

When I was buying my 2017 RX I had a hard time picking the color. My first choice was white but because late in the year, I couldn't find one with the packages I wanted. I ended up with Atomic Silver and it turned out to be my favorite color (we have another RX in black). The silver hides dirt very well - I could drive for 2 weeks and it still looked like I just washed it. Also it looks almost white if you see it in bright sunlight. Was very happy with the color. Don't judge it by the pictures - you have to see it in person.
Old 09-03-18, 08:34 AM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 89 Posts

I also have atomic silver. It was not my first choice. In fact, I would love atomic blue, if it was offered, but have gown to like it. The atomic silver is an interesting color. It changes tint depending on the light with a gold undertone in twilight and light silver in bright sunlight. It does hide dirt and water stains very well compared to any darker color. I have had a few dings from car doors that have been repair with their pointless dent repair and one scratched spot that I tried to cover with a touch up paint, but even though the color is close, it does not really match.

I have black interior, not my first choice, but felt the other colors would show dirt very easily. Black does show every spec of dust, so I vacuum it weekly and keep it clean. I do like the combination of black interior and atomic silver exterior.
Old 09-03-18, 05:49 PM
me962
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

California brush is what you need to remove dust in no time, thousands times with no scretch. there is also small one for indoor. It is just a wonder stuff. Bright color indor will get permanently dirty fast. Masked dirth is there and will do no good to your car

Last edited by me962; 09-03-18 at 05:57 PM.
dchan865 (09-05-18)
Old 09-04-18, 03:44 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts

my 17rx is atomic silver with a black lux package, very happy with the combo. living in minnesota, it hides winter well also.
i do have some paint protection film applied, and i think the black interior has a lot of nice contrasts.

my current other vehicles have a cream color interior/ black dark grey mix. with a white exterior and a 2 tone grey with burgundy exterior.
Old 09-05-18, 09:32 AM
Gravel350
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My wife has a Satin Cashmere 2016 RX350. We live on a farm on a gravel road and the body hides the gravel dust pretty good, but there is always dust on the rear window. It is next to impossible for us to have a clean car. Also hard to justify a new car that is going to get beat up, but this used one was loaded with everything we wanted. The previous owner had the front windows tinted and I think it looks nice with it. Initially I thought I didn't want the "Gold" colour, but it has grown on me a lot. I have a silver Ford F350 and it shows more dirt, my dad has a dark grey truck and it is even worse.
Seabone726 (04-04-20)
Old 09-05-18, 09:58 AM
dchan865
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
There is no question that anyone's opinion about whether a particular color looks good or not is quite subjective. My subjective opinion is that the Atomic Silver is one of the most stunningly beautiful colors available.

What is not subjective, however, is that the beauty of the Atomic Silver can be difficult to maintain. First, it is a color that will show polishing swirls and surface scratches more easily than most colors. What is more significant, however, is that, if any paint repairs are needed, whether they are major repairs or something as minor as using touch-up paint to repair small stone nicks, the Atomic Silver is one of the most difficult colors for which to get a satisfactory color match.

The Atomic Silver is a 4 or 5 stage finish, which is what gives it its depth, but it is virtually impossible to duplicate outside of the factory. If a bumper or other body panel needs to be refinished, it most certainly will require that the new paint be blended into adjacent panels to try to conceal the color mismatch. And even touch ups of small stone nicks will stick out like a sore thumb. From one angle, the touch up will look darker than the surrounding finish, and, from a different angle, it will look lighter than the surrounding area.

If I ever owned an Atomic Silver vehicle, I would 1) try to protect the finish as much as possible by getting a very complete paint protection film package that included the full front bumper, the full hood, the full front fenders, and more applied to the car, 2) pray daily that I never needed to have a bumper or other panel refinished, 3) never let anyone else wash the car and never use a commercial car wash, and 4) hope that any of my tendencies toward being OCD allowed me to live with far less than perfect paint matches for even minor touch ups.
I have this color. My 2nd choice was the Nubela gray. I feel tired just by learning that so much effort is needed to maintain and protect the look. Well its good to know, so that i can be more careful.

Quick Reply: Switching from Nx to Rx, atomic silver or cashmere?