Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Would a Lexus Pickup Make Sense for the U.S.?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-18, 12:19 PM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Would a Lexus Pickup Make Sense for the U.S.?

Would a Lexus Pickup Make Sense for the U.S.?
By Brett Foote

With the luxury truck market hotter than ever, should Lexus enter the fray with its own pickup?

Old 08-21-18, 12:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

No........
Old 08-21-18, 12:39 PM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Old 08-21-18, 12:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The business case for a Lexus truck is definitely there. Lexus would make a killing. The price on some of the current trucks is just astronomical. So why not a Lexus. Truck. Besides, the current Tundra uses the same LS460 leather.

Now, as for dilution of the brand compared to MB, BMW or Audi, I could see a bit of that. But long term, I think it would be a good move.

A Lexus Sequoia version makes sense too.
Old 08-21-18, 12:44 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Seems like the real trucks are ridiculously upscale now, for example, a loaded '19 RAM 1500. So I would say no, Lincoln and Caddy already tried.

I saw a YouTube where the guy pointed out that one side had chrome trim and the other black on the '19 RAM, and his wife noticed after they brought it home! But 12" screen in a work truck is nice.
Old 08-21-18, 12:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Seems like the real trucks are ridiculously upscale now, for example, a loaded '19 RAM 1500. So I would say no, Lincoln and Caddy already tried.
Cadillac, with its gimmicky, Avalanche-based Escalade EXT, was not very successful, but had a little more luck with it than Lincoln with its Blackwood and Mark LT, which were complete flops. I never understood the sense of the Blackwood (and, indeed, only about 1000 were made)...a monkey could have predicted that a work truck with rare African wood-trim on the bed wasn't going to be a big success.

On the original question, a Lexus pick-up (most likely based on the Tundra) might have some appeal, but it would have to strictly avoid the gimmicks and mistakes that plagued the Cadillac and Lincoln attempts.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-21-18 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-21-18, 12:51 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I've quickly dismissed this idea in the past, but I'm starting to come around to the idea. They would have to price it very carefully, as the Tacoma and Tundra already get pretty pricey. I'd see a better chance with the Tacoma size vs. a full size, as there are plenty of very luxuriously optioned full size trucks out there, but nothing in the mid size pickup range. Hmmm...dunno. It would probably sell, but I'm not sure that it would in substantial numbers.
Old 08-21-18, 12:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The business case for a Lexus truck is definitely there. Lexus would make a killing. The price on some of the current trucks is just astronomical. So why not a Lexus. Truck. Besides, the current Tundra uses the same LS460 leather.

I've been in a couple Tundras, the leather is not the same leather as used in the LS460.

Lets put it this way, why is there no Cadillac or Lincoln truck with all the success GM and Ford have with trucks?

High end truck buyers are a different consumer than luxury car consumers. They don't want the luxury brand or the brand image that comes with it, they WANT a Ford or a Chevy or a Toyota, not a Lincoln, Cadillac or Lexus truck.
Old 08-21-18, 12:58 PM
MedicalDoc
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

A Lexus pick up truck,..? No way.
Now, if we were talking about Buick,......
Old 08-21-18, 01:00 PM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Exactly. A fully loaded Ford F-450 Limited is now over the six-figure mark.
Old 08-21-18, 01:01 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Cadillac, with its gimmicky, Avalanche-based Escalade EXT, was not very successful, but had a little more luck with it than Lincoln with its Blackwood and Mark LT, which were complete flops. I never understood the sense of the Blackwood (and, indeed, only about 1000 were made)...a monkey could have predicted that a work truck with rare African wood-trim on the bed wasn't going to be a big success.

On the original question, a Lexus pick-up (most likely based on the Tundra) might have some appeal, but it would have to strictly avoid the gimmicks and mistakes that plagued the Cadillac and Lincoln attempts.
I got married in 2008, and my wife did a lot of the arrangements, including the limo. At the time, I remember the Escalade had 403 HP (not too shabby today, but this was 2008), and the EXT model was the most stolen vehicle etc. I remember being on the phone with my wife, as she was booking a Escalade stretch limo, "Ask the guy if it's a 2008, not a 2007."

"He says it's brand new, it's a 2008, not a 2007."

"Ok, give him the deposit, but make sure he writes 2008 on the receipt, and the VIN if he has it."

Needless to say there was no VIN, he wrote 2008, and the car that showed up was a 2008.

When I think back to how long ago that was, I think times have really changed. A Dodge RAM that can do work, but is luxurious and 70k, works. A luxury truck unless really over the top, maybe not. But the thread asked about Lexus specifically, so I say no....
Old 08-21-18, 01:03 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MedicalDoc
No you didn't....
Old 08-21-18, 01:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MedicalDoc
Nope. I don't think it would work for Buick. Too much competition from their own sister divisions.....GMC and Chevy. In fact, IMO (and I've mentioned this before) GM itself doesn't need two separate divisions selling essentially the same trucks and SUVs, except wth a little more trim on the GMC versions. Not only that, but the average Buick buyer doesn't live the kind of lifestyle or have the kind of job that pickups and work trucks generally address.
Old 08-21-18, 01:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
When I think back to how long ago that was, I think times have really changed. A Dodge RAM that can do work, but is luxurious and 70k, works. A luxury truck unless really over the top, maybe not.

But the thread asked about Lexus specifically, so I say no....
In general, I agree on the no-vote, but Lexus might (?) have some success with a pickup if they avoid the quirks in the Escalade and Blackwood. The main problem with the Escalade EXT was the gimmicky, power-operated drop-down panel behind the cabin, which was not only something else to fail, but also cut out some the cross-bracing strength in the body, especially when down.
Old 08-21-18, 01:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
High end truck buyers are a different consumer than luxury car consumers. They don't want the luxury brand or the brand image that comes with it, they WANT a Ford or a Chevy or a Toyota, not a Lincoln, Cadillac or Lexus truck.
IHave you ever been to a Mercedes-Benz dealer that has the Sprinter or the base Metrias in stock? Or a B-class Mercedes.

Quick Reply: Would a Lexus Pickup Make Sense for the U.S.?