Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

Thoughts on potential LS600H purchase

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-18, 02:22 AM
macanudo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on potential LS600H purchase

Hello everyone. New member to this forum as I do some fact finding for a potential purchase. I have been looking at 600's for a few months now and they are rare to say the least.
So I find this one at a Lexus Dealership and they have had it for a couple of weeks. I went today to have a look. I arrived too late to take it on a drive but the salesman was nice enough to let me come down to the basement where they keep some vehicles to look at it. Great condition inside and out and just fully detailed. Would like to get your thoughts on price etc and overall deal. I plan to go back this week to test drive and get more information on service history.

Thanks

2008 LS600hL
104K Miles
Starfire Pearl
Local Trade-In
Serviced at Lexus every 5-6k miles
2 owners
Minor accident 01/18 according to carfax
Premium Luxury Package
As-Is, No Warranty
Listed as $18,977.
Old 08-21-18, 03:38 AM
LuvmyLS
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

If you’re buying from a dealer, you should get a 3 month 3k mile warranty, otherwise, why by from a dealer? One of the common issues with these cars is control arms. These are very expensive parts from Lexus, Fortunately the upper arms (the most common to fail) are available for the LS600HL from Mevotech. If you can get the 3 month warranty, I’d buy it.
Old 08-21-18, 05:50 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

Macanudo, The price sounds very good to me, especially coming from a Lexus dealership. You'll definitely want to view the full Lexus service history via the Lexus Drivers web site. Look to see if any of the air shocks have been replaced (likely) and if any of the front control arms have been replaced (possible). If you've been studying these cars via this forum, you should be well aware that other potential issues include the brake actuators, hybrid batteries, wind noise, and ML amp. Check the condition of the tires and brakes - these things can be replaced fairly cheaply, but will play into the price of the car. You'll want to gather as much info as possible regarding the "minor" accident from earlier this year; if the repairs were made at the Lexus dealership, you should be able to get the full run-down on what had to be done.

These cars are truly amazing, but you'll need to be sure you could afford potential expensive repairs if they crop up. This car sold for >$100k when new, so think of the bargain you're getting by buying it for $19k (but be prepared to spend money on repairs to keep the car running like new)!

Post some photos if you get a chance! Good luck with your decision!
Old 08-21-18, 06:07 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

It's surprising that the Atlanta Lexus dealer would post pictures of the car (presumably) before it was cleaned up as the interior seems a bit dirty. Still, the asking price is fair given the mileage and "minor" accident history. It's great that it's always been an inland Southern car. Join the Lexus website and you will be able to see the Lexus/Toyota service history. Hopefully, some will show up because the Carfax is sorely lacking the same.

While it's true that LS models have some weak points, in running service histories of late on 600s and it's not unusual that they go through life up to now with just routine service. That said, repairs can be extremely expensive, so bank some money as you go, so you'll be set if/when the time comes.
Old 08-21-18, 07:16 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

It's hard to judge Carfax "minor accident" description. My BMW 530i was rear-ended by a Volvo - totalled the volvo (!) and the damage to my BMW was substantial (everything from the C-pillar back repaired/replaced. This was what I would consider "major accident" damage but it showed up on Carfax as "minor damage". Of course, it could have been as simple as repainting a rear bumper cover. Point is, you never know.
Old 08-21-18, 01:31 PM
macanudo
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all of the feedback. I’m currently in route to give her a drive since I arrived too late night to do so. I will definitely discuss the warranty again and be sure to pull up the service history. I was online last night requesting quotes for extended warranties which will be needed for this vehicle. My 06 LS was an awesome ride so I’m expecting even more from this 600.

Stay Tuned
Old 08-21-18, 08:09 PM
macanudo
Driver School Candidate

Soo. Test drove the 600h and as expected, the drive and feel was amazing. The detail job really brought it out. Never been a fan of pearl but this was nice. Ok pleasantries aside, salesman stuck by his "no warranty/as-is" statement. It's also posted on the vehicle. Viewed the service history and there is no mention of control arms or suspension. I did see where there was an airbag indicator that came on at some point and once they determined that the wire harness (or something to that effect) needed to be replaced, they decided not to replace it ($5300). Concerning that some of the big ticket items haven't needed to be done (or could have been done outside of the dealer) but will eventually. I'm still pondering this. These cars are a rare find IMO so that has me pondering and thinking but I also have to take my emotions out of it.

Old 08-21-18, 08:39 PM
RNelson
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I would have him stick it up on a rack and show you that the control arms bushings are not cracked, it there is no record of them being replaced, I gaurantee that are. They should put it up on the rack for you and have their service team inspect.

The plus about buying it from a lexus dealer is that they will typically bring it up to A plus condition and they have all the factory parts right there, they just send it in the back and have them fix everything that is wrong with it. I used to be against buying from a dealer, but because of the aforementioned I would recommend it. You wont be able to see the air suspension giving out but you will be able to see the control arm bushings. Also, they tires should be in good shape and they should have done a full service on it.

Good luck, looks clean and super nice.
Old 08-21-18, 08:41 PM
RNelson
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, you should be able to ask for a full inspection report... brake life remaining, tires, how fluids look, etc. When you bring it back in 5000 miles what service are they going to suggest to you???
Old 08-22-18, 01:28 AM
TriC
Racer

What's to ponder? The car had an electrical gremlin, the owner got a big repair quote and dumped the car. The flag could not be redder.
Old 08-22-18, 06:20 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

I wouldn't necessarily discard this deal because of the knee airbag issue. It's possible, though, that the "Main harness" controls other more important functions that may fail at some point. Everything should be negotiable at this point, and it is definitely a good thing the car is at a reputable Lexus dealer instead of a "buy-here, pay-here" corner lot. I would guess the Lexus dealer would argue the price they're asking is very low, reflecting the knee bag issue already.

The exterior looks good, except for some serious-looking curb rash on the wheels. You didn't post any photos of the interior. How does the driver's seat look? That's where most of the wear happens.
Old 08-22-18, 06:52 AM
Richyb1
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My take is that there is one sitting in Omaha at the dealership right now. It is nice and I drove it, I still would keep my 460LS and not risk the repair bills on the 600. Mine is garaged and driven sparingly, getting dash replaced and hopefully many years ahead of pleasure driving. The LS 460 is good enough for me. Good luck and try and get the dealer to fix as much as they will.

Can you take it to an independent shop to have it looked over?
Old 08-22-18, 01:49 PM
writes123
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Having just acquired my own 600h, I can attest to the trend of 600h's being traded in due to major repair bills (dead hybrid, bad air struts, control arms worn out, PCS lights on) which are likely not fixed, per offical Lexus service records. I feel like I lucked out as mine has no major issues but a few cosmetic ones which I am more than willing to forgive for the amount of work done by the previous owner at a reputable Lexus repair shop. Greatly surprised and pleased that a 12 qt WS swap was done at 100k. This 600h mpg and rpms is mind boggling. I get nearly the same highway mpg from 65,70, or 75 mph. It just hovers over 1100 rpms. So smooth. So glorious.

Good luck on your continued search.
Old 08-22-18, 02:55 PM
TriC
Racer

Originally Posted by writes123
Greatly surprised and pleased that a 12 qt WS swap was done at 100k.
What is a 12 qt WS swap?

Old 08-22-18, 03:21 PM
writes123
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Automatic Transmission Fluid - Toyota World Standard (WS). ATF fluid change which is listed only for inspection and commonly designated by Toyota/Lexus as a lifetime fluid. Great low maintenance costs if you choose to keep your car for less than 100k miles imo. But as I wish to keep mine for many more miles, an ATF swap at 30-60k intervals seems a small price to pay for ease of mind.
The following users liked this post:
TriC (08-22-18)

Quick Reply: Thoughts on potential LS600H purchase