IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Snow performance

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-18, 06:32 PM
danielaOT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow performance

How does the lexus is 300 perform in the snow? I just got a 2017 lexus is 300 awd. I am from pittsburgh. THank you!!
Old 08-19-18, 07:22 PM
KYLexusMkr
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

I can’t speak for anybody other than myself, but my ‘17 300 awd did great this past winter. It went through all the slick conditions that we had in KY. So long as the snow isn’t too deep I can’t see you having any issues. The only problem I seen was the radar cruise and bsm’s went crazy when they became snow covered on the front of the car. Other than that, she was point and go without any drama. I was running the stock Bridgestone all season tires as well, not a winter set up.
Old 08-20-18, 06:49 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

My 2014 IS350 AWD was wonderful in the snow, even with the crappy stock all season tires. Mine was one of the only cars to make it out of my work parking lot one year (up an 18% grade) when we were caught with an unexpected mid day snow storm.
Old 08-20-18, 08:23 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,507 Likes on 1,805 Posts

Originally Posted by danielaOT
How does the lexus is 300 perform in the snow? I just got a 2017 lexus is 300 awd. I am from pittsburgh. THank you!!
If you drive normally, the IS is pretty tame in the snow. Taking off from a stop is a non-issue thanks to the AWD. Snow mode makes it even easier. And this is with the stock all-season tires. Just keep in mind that your turning and braking grip will be very much diminshed compared with winter tires.

I took it out for some fun in snowy parking lots a few times as well. It's somewhat easy to drift. Due to the AWD, you have to be somewhat gentle with the corrections, but you can pull some nice angles in this in the snow, with some practice.
Old 08-20-18, 09:15 AM
RKSTRAT
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Overall, I was happy with the IS300 AWD in the snow last winter, coming from an Audi A4 and Infiniti G37x.
Hills are no problem with the IS. However, the steering in snow felt loose to me. Tires or the electronic steering feel?
Old 08-20-18, 09:37 AM
Ciggy
Lead Lap

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Last snowboarding season I installed some Blizzack's on my 14 IS350 AWD. They are super loud and do nothing for comfort on dry roads. However in the snow the car is a beast. I couldn't get stuck even when I tried.

Had a guy up in Vermont driving a jeep tell me he thought I was stuck for good after watching me pull out of easily over a foot of snow in the back corner of the parking lot where some snow banks had formed. I was stuck for only a second while I switched traction control to off.

It was a blast to drive in blizzard like conditions and feel nice and grounded.

Old 08-20-18, 01:14 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by RKSTRAT
Overall, I was happy with the IS300 AWD in the snow last winter, coming from an Audi A4 and Infiniti G37x.
Hills are no problem with the IS. However, the steering in snow felt loose to me. Tires or the electronic steering feel?
Probably tires, plus the snow itself. I found the steering to be feel light in the snow, but not on dry pavement.
Old 08-23-18, 05:34 AM
pwon11
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ciggy
Last snowboarding season I installed some Blizzack's on my 14 IS350 AWD. They are super loud and do nothing for comfort on dry roads. However in the snow the car is a beast. I couldn't get stuck even when I tried.

Had a guy up in Vermont driving a jeep tell me he thought I was stuck for good after watching me pull out of easily over a foot of snow in the back corner of the parking lot where some snow banks had formed. I was stuck for only a second while I switched traction control to off.

It was a blast to drive in blizzard like conditions and feel nice and grounded.

Hi, What size were your snow tires. I just bought a 2018 IS350 AWD F-sport and am trying to decide whether to downsize or stick to OEM size. Thanks
Old 08-23-18, 07:17 AM
Jay89
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

In some deeper stuff, I was disappointed. The traction control got in the way more often than I liked. Coming from a Subaru that didnt have traction control, and bmw that I can turn off completely, made this not quite as good. Found it to struggle in deep rutted neighborhoods, where my bmw and Subaru wouldn't bat an eye.
Old 08-23-18, 07:44 AM
Ciggy
Lead Lap

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay89
In some deeper stuff, I was disappointed. The traction control got in the way more often than I liked. Coming from a Subaru that didnt have traction control, and bmw that I can turn off completely, made this not quite as good. Found it to struggle in deep rutted neighborhoods, where my bmw and Subaru wouldn't bat an eye.

Do you know how to completely disable traction control? Because that's the best way to handle the snow if you know how to drive. Don't just click it in, hold traction control until you see a light on the dash informing you it's completely disabled. maybe 6 seconds or so. Also. Do not use Snow mode. It makes the accelerator numb. Sometimes you need to accelerate out of a slide.

I installed OEM sized Blizzacks. Direct fit onto the f-sport wheels. I was going to install aftermarket wheels for the summer with a larger diameter so i keep the snow tires on the f-sports for easy swapping.
Old 08-23-18, 09:41 AM
Jay89
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Ciggy
Do you know how to completely disable traction control? Because that's the best way to handle the snow if you know how to drive. Don't just click it in, hold traction control until you see a light on the dash informing you it's completely disabled. maybe 6 seconds or so. Also. Do not use Snow mode. It makes the accelerator numb. Sometimes you need to accelerate out of a slide.

I installed OEM sized Blizzacks. Direct fit onto the f-sport wheels. I was going to install aftermarket wheels for the summer with a larger diameter so i keep the snow tires on the f-sports for easy swapping.
Yep, it dosnt completely disable it. It delays the system slightly longer, I've tried lol. Also dont like the idea of having to stop before switching. Bmw I could switch off at speed, then back on if I felt like it. I dont remember exactly what warnings come up on the Lexus when its deactivated but it still kicks in a little.

I'm just so used to powering out of potential stuck situations lol
Old 08-23-18, 10:59 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Yep, it dosnt completely disable it. It delays the system slightly longer, I've tried lol. Also dont like the idea of having to stop before switching. Bmw I could switch off at speed, then back on if I felt like it. I dont remember exactly what warnings come up on the Lexus when its deactivated but it still kicks in a little.

You might want to take a look here for more info on traction control: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ntrol-off.html

You can fully disable it, either with a long press of the TC off button or with the pedal dance.
Old 08-24-18, 01:11 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,076 Likes on 1,567 Posts

ah yes the good old days. i drove my BMW in snowy conditions before (RWD) and i would switch stability control off and on at speed, at will. never tried it mid-slide though. that would be interesting. made for some fun "drifts" then turn it back on when i'm done playing.
Old 08-24-18, 01:34 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by E46CT
ah yes the good old days. i drove my BMW in snowy conditions before (RWD) and i would switch stability control off and on at speed, at will. never tried it mid-slide though. that would be interesting. made for some fun "drifts" then turn it back on when i'm done playing.
Kinda lame that you have to be at a complete stop to do it in the IS. Ah well. There might be a technical reason for it. Let's be honest, if you're sliding, you should have had it off to begin with.