Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is real woodgrain trim going out of style?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-18, 05:06 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Is real woodgrain trim going out of style?

So I have noticed something in the last few years. Woodgrain seems to be a thing of the past. Very few cars/trucks offer it in anything except the highest trim packages. Some of those trim packages only offer "wood look" trim and not actual wood. Of those that do offer actual real wood trim, only a handful have a wood and leather steering wheel. To me there is nothing better than a cabin full of polished woodgrain. But Lexus doesn't offer wood on the IS, the ES gets it as an option, the LS as well, but I don't think you can get it on the steering wheel.

Am I the only person that actually likes having wood on the steering wheel? I can't be literally, but maybe I am in the minority?
Old 08-18-18, 05:17 PM
monkey92
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I personally enjoy wood trim in the older lexuses. But i do agree, i feel its becoming a thing of the past as i see more and more vehicles equipped with fake and real aluminum trims and carbon fiber trims.
Old 08-18-18, 05:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I agree with you that a polished wood steering wheel can be beautiful. Lexus, to its credit, probably does polished-wood wheels better than anyone else for the price...though I am not particularly impressed with the rest of many Lexus interiors. On the dash and door-panels, though, IMO, real wood becomes less-important....and I've seen a number of fake trims that, IMO, look as good or better than the real stuff.

In general, though, I prefer the synthetic stuff, which is less-sensitive to deterioration over time as real wood. One thing, for example, (among many) that sold me on the new Lacrosse is the way they did the fake-wood on the dash, console, and doors....BIG wide strips that reminded me of luxury cars of many years ago.

Old 08-18-18, 05:25 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Is your point that wood trim, specifically on the steering wheel is going out of style? The thought is that wood trim on the steering wheel doesnt look sporty, so with Lexus image trying to appeal to the younger crowd, it makes sense. Now, the other minor issue is that before, a heated steering wheel couldn't have wood as only the leather portion could be heated, resulting in only the "4" and "8" o clock positions being heated which is pretty much useless. I think the LS solves this by offering the wood trim on the inside part of the wheel which I find beautiful. Anyway, I dont miss wood steering wheels.

As for your point about wood trim going away, I dont believe this is the case. If anything, its the opposite, as now open pore wood options really show off the grains so that people can really appreciate the wood detail. The past with really high gloss wood looked cheap and fake.
Old 08-18-18, 05:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
But Lexus doesn't offer wood on the IS, the ES gets it as an option, the LS as well, but I don't think you can get it on the steering wheel.
The 2018 ES still has it on the steering wheel as an option.....I'm not sure about the 2019 ES, as Lexus has not released all the specs yet for that model.

Old 08-18-18, 05:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I think wood is out of style and out of date. I won't miss it.
Old 08-18-18, 05:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF
Is your point that wood trim, specifically on the steering wheel is going out of style? The thought is that wood trim on the steering wheel doesnt look sporty, so with Lexus image trying to appeal to the younger crowd, it makes sense.
Some claim that a wooden steering wheel isn't considered sporty, yet look at the cars that actually made the whole idea of wood-grain wheels popular....the open-top British roadster/sports-cars of the 50s and 60s. Here, for example, is the classic steering wheel on the MGB-GT.

....and the wheel/interior of the 1970 Plymouth Barracuda, one of the sportiest cars Plymouth ever produced. Note also the wood-tone on the dash and console.

Old 08-18-18, 06:33 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 157 Likes on 116 Posts

Wood trim isn't going out of style. Just limited more to high end models due to cost cutting at lower price points. I hate the guitar string "art" that Lexus put on the dash in place of wood trim on the LS500. Looks cheap. More like something you would see in an Avalon, not the Lexus flagship. SClass and even the G90 put it to shame.
Old 08-18-18, 06:39 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

I think wood shows attention to detail and craftsmanship with luxury. Yachts, high end RVs and homes have beautiful wood accents, so why not in a car?
Old 08-18-18, 07:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I don't think its going anywhere, just ebbs and flows of design trends.

BTW, you absolutely can heat a wood/leather wheel, Lexus is just cheap. My Jeep Grand Cherokee had a wood wheel that was heated on the wood and leather portions. It was AWESOME.
Old 08-18-18, 10:24 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Yes, I see it as fading a bit- at least with Lexus. When the current GS stopped offering it on the steering wheel, that was the beginning and others started following. Now the 2018 IS does not offer it at all, which is a first in the history of the model. No one had mentioned it stopped on the IS, which is poor communication and possibly another sign of cost-cutting. Even if they were trying to aim more towards "sport," non-F-sport 350 models should have the option.
Personally, I love the look. Noting says the word "warmth" more than natural materials. It is and has always been a symbol of high-end luxury for decades. This is the case in cars, planes, boats, homes, semis, offices, and living rooms. I hope it comes back around again. Anyone can offer plastic or simulated trim. But not everyone can craft a nice, rich wood look.
Old 08-18-18, 11:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think wood is out of style and out of date. I won't miss it.
i think there are better materials these days.

wood can be beautiful but really it's a ***** to work with for precision interiors of today.
Old 08-19-18, 10:05 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Yes, I see it as fading a bit- at least with Lexus. When the current GS stopped offering it on the steering wheel, that was the beginning and others started following. Now the 2018 IS does not offer it at all, which is a first in the history of the model. No one had mentioned it stopped on the IS, which is poor communication and possibly another sign of cost-cutting. Even if they were trying to aim more towards "sport," non-F-sport 350 models should have the option.
Personally, I love the look. Noting says the word "warmth" more than natural materials. It is and has always been a symbol of high-end luxury for decades. This is the case in cars, planes, boats, homes, semis, offices, and living rooms. I hope it comes back around again. Anyone can offer plastic or simulated trim. But not everyone can craft a nice, rich wood look.
I dont think this current generation of IS has ever had a wood steering wheel, has it?
Old 08-19-18, 01:44 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
I dont think this current generation of IS has ever had a wood steering wheel, has it?
Referring to general wood trim in the IS cabin. Was offered a year or two ago, now no longer. Only the last gen GS offered it on the steering wheel. ES and LS still moving forward with it.
Old 08-19-18, 01:57 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The 2018 ES still has it on the steering wheel as an option.....I'm not sure about the 2019 ES, as Lexus has not released all the specs yet for that model.

I that real wood? I had a RX with a similar wheel and it was so glossy and slippery it had no feel of real wood.

Quick Reply: Is real woodgrain trim going out of style?