Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi waves goodbye to manual transmissions in the U.S.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-18, 03:20 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Audi waves goodbye to manual transmissions in the U.S.

2019 Audi A4 and A5 are now automatic-only

Start waving goodbye to the last manual transmissions available at your local Audi dealership. With the imminent arrival of the 2019 A4 sedan and A5 coupe, the option to shift for yourself will no longer be possible in any Audi vehicle sold in the United States. From the most miserly version of the A3 sedan, to the mighty mid-engine R8 sports car, every Audi sold here will now automatically be fitted with, well, an automatic gearbox.

Audi offered a six-speed manual in the 2018 A4 and A5 with Quattro as a no-cost option, but both are going auto-only with updates planned for 2019. This sad news has been reported by a number of outlets, including Car & Driver, which stated only 5 percent of all A4 buyers chose the manual versus the automatic.

For fans of manual transmissions, there is still hope. As we recently pointed out in this list of every new car available with a manual gearbox, there's still plenty of options out there (though the field is definitely shrinking).

Luxury brands like BMW, Cadillac, Genesis and Porsche still offer manual transmissions in the United States — though Porsche limits them to its sports cars. Most recently, the new Genesis G70 offers a six-speed manual coupled to a 255-horsepower turbocharged four-cylinder engine that sends all its power to the rear wheels.

It wasn't long ago — two years, in fact — when we were wistfully discussing the benefits of opting for the seven-speed dual-clutch automatic or traditional six-speed manual in the 2018 A5 coupe. For the record, the automatic was slightly quicker in the run from 0 to 60 mph, with a time of 5.6 seconds, versus 5.7 seconds with the manual.

Sometimes numbers don't tell the whole story, though. R.I.P. Audi manual gearboxes.
Source
Old 08-17-18, 03:22 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

Sales will plummet. By 12 cars.
Old 08-17-18, 03:28 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Sales will plummet. By 12 cars.
That made me lol

It's not surprising, just a sad day for enthusiasts. But as much as I appreciate the 'art' of rowing your own gears. I personally never want to own a manual, especially living in the Bay Area. Learned on a '93 Accord. I'm happy I know how to drive stick, but I love just to put it in drive these days hah
Old 08-17-18, 05:03 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

^^^ Was wondering the same thing What percentage of sales were manual? I recall for the 2IS, it was a meager 5% at some point.

For a toy car, i.e. the RC F, I would have preferred a manual, but never for daily driving. Horrible GTA commute lengths and traffic... https://globalnews.ca/news/4287922/t...north-america/
Old 08-17-18, 06:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

High horsepower and bigger cars basically suck with a stick unless there's no one else on the road and they offer no benefit on highway.

the only fun cars with stick are light roadsters
Old 08-17-18, 07:31 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
High horsepower and bigger cars basically suck with a stick unless there's no one else on the road and they offer no benefit on highway.

Yeah, MR2 T-Top was a blast in the day... 5-speed, light, nimble, high-revving....
Old 08-17-18, 09:56 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Not a bad idea. No road moves here in Los Angeles, so there's no loss.
So does this now save Audi money by not offering that extra option? One less thing to design, test, certify, and build. Should equal cost savings, yes? (we'll probably never see it)
Old 08-18-18, 05:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Some drivers still like V8 muscle-cars with traditional sticks, but they tend to have stiff, heavy clutches, skip-shift mechanisms in the lower gears for fuel economy, and can be a PITA to drive in stop and go traffic. They are obviously designed for younger people who don't have arthritis or stiff knees.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-18-18 at 06:19 AM.
Old 08-18-18, 06:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

On the original topic, some enthusiasts might miss them, but I agree that eliminating manuals in the U.S. is probably a good business move. Today's multi-speed automatics, in many cases, are more flexible than manuals, provide as good or better MPG and performance figures, and are much easier to drive in heavy stop and go traffic. Almost no one I know still prefers to row his or own gears, especially here in the D.C. area, with traffic and congestion that, in some ways, is comparable to Los Angeles.
Old 08-18-18, 06:41 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

BMW is next up.

Only M2, M3 and M4 will be manual.
New 3series will NOT have manual option at all.
Old 08-18-18, 01:52 PM
Hoovey689

Do any Mercedes still offer 3-pedal?
Old 08-18-18, 02:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Some drivers still like V8 muscle-cars with traditional sticks, but they tend to have stiff, heavy clutches, skip-shift mechanisms in the lower gears for fuel economy, and can be a PITA to drive in stop and go traffic. They are obviously designed for younger people who don't have arthritis or stiff knees.
yes i know a younger lady who drives a stick dodge challenger with 6.1L engine. she has a bad knee from a prior car accident (not in the challenger and not because of bad driving before anyone asks), and doesn't like driving her stick much these days and borrows her guy's auto charger when her knee's bothering her.
Old 08-18-18, 03:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

yes i know a younger lady who drives a stick dodge challenger with 6.1L engine. she has a bad knee from a prior car accident (not in the challenger and not because of bad driving before anyone asks), and doesn't like driving her stick much these days and borrows her guy's auto charger when her knee's bothering her.
Sorry to hear about her knee.....best of luck to her on her recovery. Can she afford to replace that MT Challenger? If so, you might offer to help her find a new one that is easier for her to drive (I'd probably help her myself if I was in her area). With the currently-depressed sedan and coupe market, some good deals might be had...though SRT models, in particular, are often in strong demand, and aren't exactly given away.
Old 08-18-18, 05:00 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Unless there's some emission-control reason (and I don't think that's the case) then it's just adherence to the law of supply and demand. Apparently most people don't want them.

Perhaps the issue is similar to purists complaining about power steering taking away "road feel" 60 years ago. Time marches on. Still, I love manual shifters.

I can recall ten years ago that I was trying to find a manual car in order to teach my young daughter. Even then, rental-car companies no longer had them.
Old 08-18-18, 05:04 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Do any Mercedes still offer 3-pedal?
Definitely not in the US for a long time.

Aston Martin i think will be offering a manual on the new Vantage.

Quick Reply: Audi waves goodbye to manual transmissions in the U.S.