Horrible voice recognition system

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-18, 04:17 PM
pg13
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horrible voice recognition system

Hi,

My NX 300H recognized my voice commands may be 1 out of 5 tries. I showed it to the dealer and the response was that yes, Lexus voice system sucks. Do other have the same issue or should I get it checked out at another dealer. I have trained it (speaking the 10 sentences) but that doesn't help much.
Old 08-16-18, 05:50 PM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

It does suck big time. No other dealer can fix it. I stopped using it and use Siri and iPhone.
Old 08-16-18, 05:53 PM
Tmymck
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by pg13
Hi,

My NX 300H recognized my voice commands may be 1 out of 5 tries. I showed it to the dealer and the response was that yes, Lexus voice system sucks. Do other have the same issue or should I get it checked out at another dealer. I have trained it (speaking the 10 sentences) but that doesn't help much.
it does suck. I especially love it when I ask it to call someone and it asks if I would like to call the contact. WTH
Old 08-16-18, 06:38 PM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

We gave up on voice commands too, it rarely figures out what we are trying to say.
Old 08-17-18, 06:53 AM
gompka
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

I don't use it very often, just because i'm using my phone for most navigation tasks anyway. I did find it responds a little better if you do the training in a quiet environment and use the specific words it wants to hear. Its not like siri or google assistant, works best with specific phrases and if you spell out the numbers you want to call. Overall it does suck though, i don't know why it takes toyota/lexus so long to implement carplay/android auto, i know they are trying to "test" everything to make it work well, but how did that work out for the current system? lol.
Old 08-17-18, 08:16 AM
ISTORO
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I've given up with the voice commands too. Pardon? Pardon? Pardon? Good bye! IS300 is the same.
Old 08-17-18, 09:03 PM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

it works fine with my voice but doesnt recognize anything my wife says...and its her car...so useless.
Old 08-18-18, 10:49 PM
pg13
Driver School Candidate

Default This is a safety hazard

Given how ill thought out the navigation/infotainment system is (too many clicks, menus for simple tasks on the "remote touch"), voice recognition becomes even more essential for safety and Lexus has done a disservice to its customers. If I had known how bad the system is, I probably wont have bought the car. By the way, how do I "get out" of the voice command system once it is inside. Is there something like "exit voice commands" button on steering wheel ?
Old 08-20-18, 12:29 PM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Gen 10 (2018+) voice command is the same thing as talking to Siri mobile assistant. So if you are complaining about that, it's you not the system. Gen 9 (2015-2017) was adaptive to your voice but internal and not near as good at off the wall commands. It was capable of understanding 16k different phrases. Best advice for Gen 9 would be to always speak with the same inflection and tone. If the system replies "pardon" or miss-understands the command, repeat it exactly the same way. do not try and change your speech to help the system, you're not helping it.

Older than 2015 would be Gen 8 ( not applicable to NX) BUT, that system was trash and I would not suggest even using it.
Old 08-20-18, 12:30 PM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

** To exit voice command, HOLD THE SAME COMMAND BUTTON TIL IT PROMPTS A CANCEL***
Old 08-20-18, 01:07 PM
pg13
Driver School Candidate

Default Gen 9 system

With 2015NX we have a Gen 9 system and it's bad. Thanks for letting me know how to get out of voice mode. Probably the single most useful thing I can do with the system.

I will try sticking to the same tone and see if it fares better. Another example of frustration from yesterday: wanted to navigate to xxx, west katella Ave, Anaheim. If I gave the entire address in one shot, it doesn't get anywhere (thinks that I want to go to Ohio). The I tried just giving city and waiting for Street, number prompts. It does better with that and can recognize Anaheim but then won't recognize "west katella". Tried Katella but then won't give me an option to add west. Eventually gave up and entered the address manually using he cumbersome track pad.
Old 08-20-18, 02:00 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,017 Likes on 695 Posts

With 2015NX we have a Gen 9 system and it's bad.
That is not correct. The 2015 and 2016 NX have a Generation 8 navigation system.

https://lexus2.custhelp.com/ci/fatta...ndex%20pdf.pdf

Last edited by lesz; 08-20-18 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-20-18, 02:45 PM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

The I tried just giving city and waiting for Street, number prompts. It does better with that and can recognize Anaheim but then won't recognize "west katella". Tried Katella but then won't give me an option to add west.
Ok, So when you break the address down into individual pieces (i.e. state then city then street then house #) you need to give it ONLY what it asks for. So, when it says "please say street name" It wants "Katella". Not "West Katella Street or terrace or place", Just "katella". it will ask which one you want later.

Computers are fast but stupid so you have to account for their total lack in the ability to assume.
Old 08-20-18, 02:48 PM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lesz
That is not correct. The 2015 and 2016 NX have a Generation 8 navigation system.

https://lexus2.custhelp.com/ci/fatta...ndex%20pdf.pdf
We call it 8.5 around here and I lump it in with 9. My apologies
Old 08-20-18, 02:58 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 226 Likes on 203 Posts

Donno, I have accent and it does a-OK for me. I surely don't use it for navigation, Waze beats the heck out of any nav systems. But for regular phone calls, does OK. Not sure why there has to be that many steps to get to actual dialing and why it shows 2-4 of the same numbers in the number list, but it's OK. It's MUCH better than my 07 Camry and my 12 Highlander. Those couldn't understand squat.

Quick Reply: Horrible voice recognition system