Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Have you ever been in a time machine vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-18, 08:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Have you ever been in a time machine vehicle?

So today we were looking at cars for fun. We stumbled across a brand new 1993 Sundance. We were told the car had just 9km on it when it was bought at auction and the new owner of the dealer had to drive it to the dealer which now made it have 125km.

Anyways. Here are some pics. For some reason neither myself or my husband took and long shot exterior photos. But we will next time we go by.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-12-18 at 08:27 PM.
Old 08-12-18, 08:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I owned several used cars before my first brand-new one at age 23. Haven't owned a used one since....though I have helped others shop for them.

One thing I really miss is the Saturn S-series plastic-body cars of the 1990s. It was a great company, great customer-friendly policies, and great innovation in those cars, with the thermoplastic side-panels and spin-off transmission filters that made transmission service a piece of cake.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-12-18 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-13-18, 05:40 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I remember I had a roommate in college who had to mix oil and gas in his car. I have no clue what year that would have been, but that car may have been 40 yo at the time. This dude was really good with cars. He pulled the motor out of my Volvo to look at it, and found nothing wrong, and put it back. He told me something might be up with the bottom end and if so he'll rebuild it for me if I buy the parts, so I borrowed my mom's credit card and ordered them. lol
Old 08-13-18, 09:13 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

that's crazy, a 25yr old car that's hardly been driven at all!
Old 08-13-18, 09:21 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
So apparently the owner of the used car dealer used to be a salesperson when he first started. His first ever sale was this brand of model. That was his first deal he made. So when they were at auction, he saw this model and wanted it so he could have a keepsake. The plan apparently will not be to drive it.
Old 08-13-18, 09:22 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Used to like browsing at this guy's website, even though I've not been inside his cars, they are like a time machine...you know me all mouse clicks seemed to lead to the LT1 wagon...

http://www.mcsmk8.com/
Old 08-13-18, 09:23 AM
scooky
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

My first car was a 1965 Rambler Ambassador 990 White.
Big classic V8.
Had some luxury features for the time.
Would feel like a time machine today.
A giant Buick slid on the ice and sent this to the scrap yard. Would have destroyed a modern smaller car. We were all safe in our steel box.

This one's not mine, but looks like it could have been.

Old 08-13-18, 09:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by scooky
A giant Buick slid on the ice and sent this to the scrap yard. Would have destroyed a modern smaller car.
sounds like it destroyed the rhambler too?

We were all safe in our steel box.
while 'conservation of momentum' can help if one is in the heavier car, because those old cars did not crumple front and back, occupants in general suffered far WORSE than they would in any modern smaller or big car. sounds like you were very fortunate.
Old 08-13-18, 10:10 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I used to frequently drive by a long-closed/abandoned Chrysler dealership that had a brand-new Lebaron convertible (not sure what year) in the middle of the showroom floor. It was finally torn down about 2 years ago, no idea what happened to the car, or why it sat there so long in the first place.
Old 08-13-18, 11:06 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Several years back, my dad's boss had a 78 Trans Am that had been purchased new and stored. I have no idea where that car is now. I last saw it in 1998, when it had 17 miles on the odometer, the original sticker in the window, and plastic still covering the seats.
Old 08-13-18, 11:52 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Wow, a Plymouth Sundance in original condition. Nice find!!
Brings me back to my youth in an era of Tempos, Topaz, Cavaliers, and the like!

Growing up in the 80s, my dad actually considered the twin, 1988 Dodge Shadow Turbo, and I remember being impressed with the performance specs for those days (I think it had 145 hp if I recall) but the interior craftsmanship and questionable Chrysler reliability dissuaded my dad.

Very affordable and popular cars nonetheless post K-car.
Old 08-13-18, 12:26 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Was there ever a car like this, that had two gear ranges, like it was an 8 speed? I swear an older brother of a friend had something like this, the rims look familiar....Plymouth Sundance made me think Dodge...

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...dodge-omni-glh
Old 08-13-18, 12:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Was there ever a car like this, that had two gear ranges, like it was an 8 speed?
Yes. The late 70s/early-80s Dodge/Plymouth Colt, which was Mitsubishi-designed and built, had a regular 4-speed manual transmission with a separate two-speed final-drive-unit, which gave eight possible forward speeds. There was an extra gear lever inside...they called it the "Twin'Stick".

(it was essentially the American-market version/rebadge of the Mitsubishi Mirage)

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-13-18 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-13-18, 02:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Wow, thats really cool!
Old 08-13-18, 03:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Wow, thats really cool!
What are you referring to, Steve...the Colt Twin-stick I posted or the OP's Sundance? Both, IMO, are interesting.

I almost bought one of those early-80s Colts. I had been driving POS K-Car Chrysler products that, like the Chevy Citation X-Body I had owned before that, weren't worth the space in the repair shop they took up (I'm not kidding). I liked that Chrysler/Plymouth dealership, though, and the nice people there, and I figured the Colt was something they sold and serviced there that would at least be inexpensive and reliable....though, as a Japanese-sourced product, they were susceptible to some of the price-gouging during that period. Like almost all the Japanese cars of that period, it was assembled like a Swiss Watch (IMO, better than the Corollas and Civics in some ways...especially with solid interior materials). But, after a test-drive, I decided I liked the Mazda GLC's road-manners better. The GLC I had was reliable except for some (initial) problems with the automatic...I should have gotten the 5-speed.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-13-18 at 03:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Have you ever been in a time machine vehicle?