Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Are you concerned with perception of getting your child a Lexus/BMW/MB?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-18, 08:50 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Are you concerned with perception of getting your child a Lexus/BMW/MB?

Just curious what all the loyal Lexus drivers plan as a first vehicle for their offspring? I recall everyone oohed-and-aahed in high school when someone got a brand new 1995 Accord. Things are different today though. Our daughter will not reach driving age for another 10 years and a lot can change by then. Heck, who knows what the automotive landscape will look like at that time. Maybe she won't even need that frequent access to her own personal vehicle by then. Still, I wonder, what is the prudent choice for a relative child as a first car? We thought maybe handing down the wife's 2006 ES to our daughter because it is still in such great condition but we would probably want something with more modern safety equipment. Maybe a small SUV, a la Rav4? There is a great thread here about whether or not you'd hesitate to get an S-class based on the implications of your status or perceived status. Does anyone have similar reservations getting their new young driver a Lexus/BMW/MB?

I remember being so excited to have my first car, our hand-me-down 3-year-old 1991 Accord. I still remember hating the new car smell back then. The odor was nauseating to me back then and the Accord still had that smell. I would spend three hours washing it every Saturday. I had lots of free time back then despite school and working 72+ hours a week during Summers at the family restaurant. My parents bought their first Lexus at that time, the 1995 ES that I would later inherit when my brother took over the 1991 Accord. By today's standards though, what type of vehicle do you feel is appropriate for your child? I don't mean, to keep up with others or for perception, but knowing your child best what did you ultimately allow them to drive? Did you get it for them or partly or had them buy it themselves? Did you still have a say in the selection regardless of who paid for it? Interested to learn what others have chosen to do. Thank you.
Old 08-11-18, 09:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I think with 10 years to go you're a little ahead of yourself LOL. At that point your ES will be 22 years old...

I mean, a 22 year old Lexus I think is fine as a first car. I personally would want my kids in something more modern and safer.

What I don't agree with is buying a kid a new or newer luxury car for a first car. IMHO luxuries are something that need to be earned, and when you start a kid off that way you're setting them up to not be satisfied with what they're going to be able to provide themselves down the road, etc.

So, I'd rather have my kid in a new Corolla or something vs an older Lexus yeah.
Old 08-11-18, 09:45 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Not the perception, rather the values of said children themselves. We want them to know how to get out there in the real world and to be pervasive. If the kids will be ok, then fine. Not concerned with what others perceive.
Old 08-11-18, 09:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Make them earn a chunk of the cost of the vehicle, whatever it is. Whether you go 25/75 or 50/50 or whatever... so if used car is 10k and you go 25/75, they earn $2500, you 'pay' $7500, (if it's already your car, you just take your kids contribution ).

this way they learn something about the value of money. If you just give them a car, they will NOT appreciate it, and likely won't take care of it either.
Old 08-11-18, 10:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
this way they learn something about the value of money. If you just give them a car, they will NOT appreciate it, and likely won't take care of it either.
That depends on the kid. I was given a car and definitely appreciated it, and took care of it.
Old 08-11-18, 10:36 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I think with 10 years to go you're a little ahead of yourself LOL. At that point your ES will be 22 years old...

I mean, a 22 year old Lexus I think is fine as a first car. I personally would want my kids in something more modern and safer.

What I don't agree with is buying a kid a new or newer luxury car for a first car. IMHO luxuries are something that need to be earned, and when you start a kid off that way you're setting them up to not be satisfied with what they're going to be able to provide themselves down the road, etc.

So, I'd rather have my kid in a new Corolla or something vs an older Lexus yeah.
I'm going to have to disagree with the "not be satisfied with what they're going to be able to provide themselves down the road" comment. I think that solely depends on the kid.

You can hand a kid something expensive and nice but if they were taught to value and the importance of hard work to get it - they'll likely come out better from it.

When I was 16, I started off with a used Corolla with rolling windows. A car that my dad has keep even though he made it big as a real-estate developer. He passed that car onto me and I drove it till college. My first Lexus - he bought for me because he didn't want me traveling to college in death trap.
If anything, my dad providing me with a vehicle is what motivated me harder because I appreciated it and took care of it.
Old 08-11-18, 10:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I just don't agree with that. We have a big problem in this country with people living outside their means, and my concern is that starting them off so high on the hog is going to drive them to want to get better and better cars starting earlier in their lives than they can afford to do that.

It motivated me too, but I gave up a lot of my youth working to earn a lot of money so I could continue to live the lifestyle I was accustomed to, and looking back if I had been satisfied with a Corolla and Ramen noodles I would have had more fun in my life.
Old 08-11-18, 10:58 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

I think it needs to be safe and reliable first.
The rest is up to you and your beliefs on how to raise kids.

My new Lexus GS was keyed from front to back when I went to college.
Although it was a painful experience - it taught me early on there will be a lot of haters in life especially the more successful you are.

The other lesson is that at the end of the day its just a car (piece of metal). Obviously back then i didn’t want to hear it lol.
Either way i got rid of it for another new GS, that one was never keyed thankfully.

So yes your kid will get more hate driving a Benz, Lex or BMW rather than a Kia or Honda.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 08-11-18 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-11-18, 11:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
If you just give them a car, they will NOT appreciate it, and likely won't take care of it either.
That depends on the kid. I was given a car and definitely appreciated it, and took care of it.
Same here. My Dad gave me a old, used, Plymouth Barracuda as a gift when I graduated from high school....he couldn't afford a new one, and I would not have expected him to spend that kind of money if he could. I only kept it a year, but did take care of it and did not abuse it.....in fact, took two long trips across the mountains with it to Ohio and back, to see my relatives there.
Old 08-11-18, 12:03 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 471 Likes on 296 Posts

We bought new cars for our children to use, so they had something safe and reliable, and our deal was that we let them keep the car as theirs upon their graduation from college and we transferred the title over to them at that point.
Old 08-11-18, 12:25 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Greatly appreciate the posts, everyone, and very good points made. We do worry about our daughter becoming spoiled more and more from all directions. What can I say, she's surrounded by loving and generous grandparents that she adores beyond the gifts.

I can definitely relate to the concern about receiving too much too early and not appreciating it. At the same time, it does depend on the child. Case in point is the difference between me and my brother. We both grew up in the same household and received the same lessons. Maybe I am more into cars than he is but I always wanted to take care of my things and make then last. That includes cars, laptops, phones, textbooks, etc. I take great pride when I hand a 2-3 year old phone to a relative and they marvel at how "new" it looks. I know my parents work hard and sacrificed for us and certainly dont want their efforts to go to waste. My brother, on the other hand, loves our parents too but doesn't quite know how to take care of things given to him. He has not had to buy a new car yet, even at age 36, because he has received a '91 Accord, '95 ES 300, new 1999 Integra, then traded in for new 2001 Civic when starting college, then received the 2003 RX 300 that he's still driving. But he doesn't do routine maintenance or upkeep on his cars. He treats it like a trash can and it hurt seeing how the '95 ES 300 looked after he was done with it. It still ran great and a 4th relative took it over as a daily driver. Same deal with phones. I have literally given my brother 6-7 mid-to-high-end phones only to hear him say he broke the glass or dropped it badly after only two weeks. Every. Single. Time. He is like a walking disaster area. I have learned, finally, to stop enabling him and I dont just give him things anymore. Instead I just give advice and he can take it or not.

As hard as you try to teach your kids the value of money, and to make good choices, how can you be sure your words will have the intended effect? More back on topic, we do want her to he in a safe vehicle first and understand safety doesn't have to be wrapped in a fancy shell. I was ecstatic with an Accord because it's my first car and I was fortunate to have it. What about kids that are growing up now and accustomed to the leather and features in their parents' luxury cars? Seems kids are already used to a certain lifestyle. I have no qualms with hitting the reset button on reality though. Perhaps I should also have more faith in the younger generation. Growing up, I knew my parents worked hard for a Lexus and I would need to do the same. But less people buy to own now. Leasing is more prevalent. So would you rather leave an entry-level marquee brand for $50 more a month? Or have the kid pay that difference? I still plan to teach our daughter basic car care and how to change a flat. She's already helped with an oil change. I want her to be capable and confident. I don't want her going through life thinking she needs a man to take care of her. I know I'm thinking too far ahead. It is hard being a parent. Few decisions are as simple anymore, there are always implications and teaching opportunities involved.
Old 08-11-18, 02:05 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I think it needs to be safe and reliable first.
The rest is up to you and your beliefs on how to raise kids.

My new Lexus GS was keyed from front to back when I went to college.
Although it was a painful experience - it taught me early on there will be a lot of haters in life especially the more successful you are.

The other lesson is that at the end of the day its just a car (piece of metal). Obviously back then i didn’t want to hear it lol.
Either way i got rid of it for another new GS, that one was never keyed thankfully.

So yes your kid will get more hate driving a Benz, Lex or BMW rather than a Kia or Honda.

Oh man that is terrible. Sorry to hear that happened to your new ride. Reminds me of a dorm mate that received a new 4Runner in 1997. He was popular...with the guys. We all wanted rides. The girls didn't care so much. He was a good guy but too much privilege and far from home (schooling in California and parents from Kentucky). Sadly, after a few semesters his Dad had to fly out and move him home because he had too many distractions with that car and campus life. No real motivation to find his path in life, Mom and Dad provided more than enough. I sort of fear a little of that ourselves. Our parents worked so hard to give us better opportunities, and we do the same for the next generation. Along the way, by doing so much for our kid(s) they lose that competitive edge, that hunger to pull yourself up by your bootstraps because they don't know what it feels like to go hungry or wear clothes with patches or tears because you can't afford new threads. It always gets me choked up recalling a childhood memory when I earned a free pizza for doing well in school. My parents were so proud. We went to Round Table and it turns out to be a personal pan pizza. My parents wouldn't take a bite and only encouraged me and my brother to eat. I knew how hungry they were too. I will never be able to repay my parents for their sacrifices. The best we can do is make sure our daughter appreciates her grandparents because what we can provide for her was made possible by previous generations. All we try to do now is take care of my parents with any of their needs. Hopefully they accept our offer to live with us but right now they still prefer to stay in their own home. A part of me wants our daughter to know what it feels like to struggle so that she can grow up stronger and with better perspective of what matters in life.

Last edited by FatherTo1; 08-11-18 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-12-18, 08:52 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,497 Likes on 1,802 Posts

I just don't agree with that. We have a big problem in this country with people living outside their means, and my concern is that starting them off so high on the hog is going to drive them to want to get better and better cars starting earlier in their lives than they can afford to do that.

It motivated me too, but I gave up a lot of my youth working to earn a lot of money so I could continue to live the lifestyle I was accustomed to, and looking back if I had been satisfied with a Corolla and Ramen noodles I would have had more fun in my life.
I agree. My first car was better than many others' first cars, but it was by no means luxurious or prestigious. It was an 8-year-old Buick. When I had the money to replace it, a 2010 Camry (at the time, only 3 years old) seemed like a massive upgrade, and I was happy with it for a while. Now that I have the Lexus, I can look back and remember what it used to be like. That kind of thing can be applied to lots of areas in life - job, house, etc. - and helps me appreciate what I have. I have to remind myself, too, that used cars aren't a bad thing - until a couple of years ago buying used was all I did. So for next time I am keeping that as an option.

Regarding the OP, I think having a used luxury car for the kiddo might be fun in a way. However, I'd be more worried about maintenance costs than the image. Now if we're talking new cars, yeah that could backfire. There might be haters like RNM GS3 was mentioning. That in and of itself could be a good lesson, but I think SW17LS's lesson of appreciating what you have is probably a better one. Sure, they would have a safe, luxurious car, but the reality is most of their friends won't. That could make social interactions weird for them. Most of my college friends had old, beater cars, or no car at all. I didn't have one till my junior year, and it was given to me. (Yeah, talk about appreciating what you have - I was bumming rides from people and riding a bike for two years!)
Old 08-14-18, 07:37 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

We just bought our 15 year old son who just got his permit a 2017 CPO RX350. Don't really care about the perception. It fit all our requirements and was a smoking deal. I couldn't ask for a better kid, so I have no problem spoiling him.
Old 08-14-18, 07:40 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by Bob04
We just bought our 15 year old son who just got his permit a 2017 CPO RX350. Don't really care about the perception. It fit all our requirements and was a smoking deal. I couldn't ask for a better kid, so I have no problem spoiling him.
Congratulations on a well-raised teenager.

Quick Reply: Are you concerned with perception of getting your child a Lexus/BMW/MB?