Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford builds its 10 millionth Mustang

Old 08-08-18, 06:34 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Ford builds its 10 millionth Mustang

It matches the 1964.5 Ford Mustang with serial number 1

2018 has been a big year for the Ford Mustang. All 2018 Ford Mustangs got a hefty boost in power to go with their revamped lines. Ford also re-launched the Bullitt edition Mustang as an even hotter version of the Mustang GT. Today, another historic moment for the pony car came with the 10 millionth example left the factory at Flat Rock, Mich.

That special car is a 2019 Ford Mustang GT convertible painted in Wimbledon White and fitted with a six-speed manual transmission. It may sound a little plain, but the specification was selected so that it matched the 1964.5 Ford Mustang that has serial number 1. That car was also a convertible in Wimbledon White.

The two differ in quite a few ways, though. That original, although powered by a V8, is a bit of a slug compared to the new model, since it has just 164 horsepower compared with the 460 of the new one. It also has half the gears of the new model with just three.

Source
Old 08-08-18, 07:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The numbers tell the story. The Mustang is the only Ford-badged passenger car to survive the huge round of ax-cutting going on in the American market.

Oh.....and BTW, IMO, the original looks a lot better than the new one. It didn't become a classic for nothing.
Old 08-08-18, 09:43 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

Mustang = destroying the quality of peaceful and safe neighborhood living since 2006. Will never be happy for any Mustang accolade.
Old 08-09-18, 09:09 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Mustang = destroying the quality of peaceful and safe neighborhood living since 2006. Will never be happy for any Mustang accolade.
LOL, Harley's are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more annoying IMO.

Old 08-09-18, 10:15 AM
Hoovey689

Quite the achievement. Curious what Camaro and Charger/Challenger are at if you add up their respective years. Also love the homage of this 10M mustang vs the #1 64.5.
Old 08-10-18, 09:14 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Quite the achievement. Curious what Camaro and Charger/Challenger are at if you add up their respective years. Also love the homage of this 10M mustang vs the #1 64.5.
Probably nowhere near as close. The Charger and Challenger were both out of production for decades, and the Camaro was out production for about 7 years.
Old 08-10-18, 10:16 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Probably nowhere near as close. The Charger and Challenger were both out of production for decades, and the Camaro was out production for about 7 years.
Oh I know, I figure it's a couple million. Was just speaking out loud as to what the totals could be, more for curiosity sake. Would be interesting about Corvette numbers too.
Old 08-10-18, 10:26 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

wow...

Old 08-12-18, 01:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
wow...
Unfortunately, Fizzboy may have a point. I can't speak for everyone, but, over the years (and I wasn't born yesterday), I personally have seen more teens and adults hurt or killed in high-performance Mustang GTs, SVTs, and Cobras than in any other specific line of vehicle. While a number of vehicles seem to get young and/or immature drivers in trouble (the Camaro SS, Challenger RT/SRT, and BMW 3-series, from what I've seen, also rank high), something about Mustang V8s, more than any other car, seems to attract aggressive drivers like magnet.

Now, before anybody in Car Chat gets on my case for what I've just said, yes, there ARE plenty of careful Mustang drivers, even with V8s...but the car's reputation is unmistakable.
Old 08-12-18, 02:50 PM
Hoovey689

^^ That's not the cars fault, driving is a privilege not a right. It is the drivers responsibility, the Mustang is not autonomous. The Mustang has 10 million units thus far, so it's no surprise you see a larger sample being involved in shenanigans. Similarly the same can be said of driver responsibility in regards to those clowns in the Hellcat that went down the airport runway and into a ravine. Do better, or it will cost you $$$ or potentially your life.
Old 08-12-18, 02:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
^^ That's not the cars fault, driving is a privilege not a right. It is the drivers responsibility, the Mustang is not autonomous. The Mustang has 10 million units thus far, so it's no surprise you see a larger sample being involved in shenanigans. Similarly the same can be said of driver responsibility in regards to those clowns in the Hellcat that went down the airport runway and into a ravine. Do better, or it will cost you $$$ or potentially your life.
Oh, I agree it's not the car's fault....was not implying anything different. But the obvious point is that it does attract a lot of aggressive drivers. Corvette drivers, on the other hand, though often with as much or more power than HiPo Mustangs, seem, as a whole, to be a more mature group.
Old 08-12-18, 04:32 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Oh, I agree it's not the car's fault....was not implying anything different. But the obvious point is that it does attract a lot of aggressive drivers. Corvette drivers, on the other hand, though often with as much or more power than HiPo Mustangs, seem, as a whole, to be a more mature group.
That does seem to be true. I assume it's because the Corvette is less easily attainable. Average age is also probably over 50.

It's not just V8 muscle cars. Most young hooligans are probably likely to get in trouble with the easily tuner friendly turbo-4 EcoBoost and the discontinued V6 models.
Old 08-12-18, 05:09 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

The problem around here does not seem to be Mustangs but older model Civics with loud mufflers, oversized tires, and super bright headlights.

I suspect the reason that Mustang gets the most attention re aggressive driving is that there are so many of them out there.
Old 08-14-18, 06:38 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Gotta hand it to Ford. They kept battling and kept it alive even through some tough years and mediocre models. There's a lesson in there not just for Toyota/Lexus, but pretty much all other car manufacturers.
Old 08-14-18, 04:16 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
well it is sort of the car's fault lol... put a lot of power through a solid rear axle, give it ancient suspension, top it off by make it incredibly affordable and obtainable and you have yourself the perfect storm for spinning off into a ditch!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ford builds its 10 millionth Mustang