IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Body Flex?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-18, 02:17 PM
Gsr3is
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Body Flex?

I have had my 2016 IS 350 base with just 10K miles for a month now and its bothering me that there is so much body flex on this car. Everytime I backup out of my slightly tilted driveway onto a flat road, I can hear the driver door rubber seals creak. I think I hear that from the back doors too. Do you all notice this or do I just need to get my doors aligned? Its still under warranty. Its never been in an accident or anything. Atleast thats what carfax and autocheck say. I also had it inspected before I bought the car.
Old 08-03-18, 02:36 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,079 Likes on 1,570 Posts

I never hear that on my car. I've personally tested the 3IS unibody and find it to be quite rigid. But all cars do flex to some degree.

You need to clean and lubricate the seals on all surfaces. i mean all. clean everything.

the lube you use should be this one: https://amzn.to/2n6n42a world class BMW stuff. used to keep one in my glove box. i imagine the texas heat, dust, etc aren't doing your seals any good. this tube will last you for basically a lifetime.
The following users liked this post:
Gsr3is (08-19-18)
Old 08-03-18, 05:05 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

I hear flexing when I pull in and out of my driveway. Never heard it before moving here. I have to pull in/out at an angle to keep from scraping on the curb. After reading E46CT's response, it's probably time for a seal clean and lube on my car.
Old 08-04-18, 08:05 AM
V350
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

As long as not creaking when driving I usually ignore those types of things. Cars make allllll sorts of funny noises on cold starts, and rigidity isn't really in play at pulling out of driveway speeds. If you live in a hot climate than yes, your door seals might be hardening and need a little lube.
Old 08-04-18, 03:25 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
I never hear that on my car. I've personally tested the 3IS unibody and find it to be quite rigid. But all cars do flex to some degree.

You need to clean and lubricate the seals on all surfaces. i mean all. clean everything.

the lube you use should be this one: https://amzn.to/2n6n42a world class BMW stuff. used to keep one in my glove box. i imagine the texas heat, dust, etc aren't doing your seals any good. this tube will last you for basically a lifetime.
Added that to my shopping list, thanks E46CT. I've had these go bad on older cars and it's not fun.

at 10k they got to just be dried out a bit, shouldn't be anything really wrong. . I dont have the issue on this car and haven't come across any other complaints.

Try that fix and if it bothers you still bring it in. Dealer hated me when my other car was still under warranty lol.
Old 08-06-18, 01:22 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HOMER350
Added that to my shopping list, thanks E46CT. I've had these go bad on older cars and it's not fun.

at 10k they got to just be dried out a bit, shouldn't be anything really wrong. . I dont have the issue on this car and haven't come across any other complaints.

Try that fix and if it bothers you still bring it in. Dealer hated me when my other car was still under warranty lol.
No problem. I still have mine after 10 years and have most in the bottle still. Great product for sure. Plus it has a pleasant smell. like light citrus.
Old 08-19-18, 03:09 PM
Gsr3is
Pit Crew

Following up, i tried the gummi pflege stift on all the door rubbers yesterday. Let t dry for an hour before i closed the doors shut. Driving around today, i dont hear the seals creak anymore. I think this lubricant restored the rubbers brilliantly. Thanks a lot guys for recommending this.
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (08-20-18)
Old 08-20-18, 09:28 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

it was just me that recommended it. just saying. lol.

glad it fixed your problem. did you do both sides? (door side and body side), i would say no need to let the product dry before shutting the doors. you want the product to soak in/permeate as much as possbile.

don't forget you can do the trunk and hood deals too. but clean them well first!

don't forget the sunroof seal.
Old 08-20-18, 11:09 AM
Gsr3is
Pit Crew

it was just me that recommended it. just saying. lol.

glad it fixed your problem. did you do both sides? (door side and body side), i would say no need to let the product dry before shutting the doors. you want the product to soak in/permeate as much as possbile.

don't forget you can do the trunk and hood deals too. but clean them well first!

don't forget the sunroof seal.
I did "thank you" above where you replied with the gummi pflege suggestion .

I did both the body and door rubber seals including the water channels on all 4 doors. Also, for the rubber seals on the bumper and hood. Will work on trunk and sunroof seals this weekend. I wiped them down with a damp cloth to get all the dirt out and applied the lubricant evenly. The seals definitely look fresh now. I am just surprised the lexus seals are so sensitive. Haven't seen such wear on honda, mazda, bmw seals though.
Old 08-20-18, 12:34 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

I've found BMW seals to be very very premium, thick, plush, etc. I can always tell a japanese car by SOME of the materials, carpet/seals/rubber isn't quite as nice as on BMW and some other german makes. If you've ever seen a BMW carpet, it's close to an inch thick with heavy insulation under.
Old 08-20-18, 08:45 PM
Gsr3is
Pit Crew

I've found BMW seals to be very very premium, thick, plush, etc. I can always tell a japanese car by SOME of the materials, carpet/seals/rubber isn't quite as nice as on BMW and some other german makes. If you've ever seen a BMW carpet, it's close to an inch thick with heavy insulation under.
Totally agree. Although I am not a fan of the F30 series, the e90, e46 and e36 gen were really premium quality. Even my wife noticed IS350's lighter door (she meant cheaper) and much higher road noise when she first sat in the car. She is not a car person at all, BTW. Anyways I guess I will keep the gummi pflege near for a little while it looks like.
Old 08-20-18, 08:49 PM
Gsr3is
Pit Crew

I am still debating adding a front and rear FSTB. Do you think it would make the car more stiff?
Old 08-20-18, 09:21 PM
V350
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Front strut bar will make the front of the car more stiff, but factor in that anytime you make one change, you might make 3 other things not to your liking. A front only sway bar will stiffen the front with the same qualities remaining out back, which may produce a handling difference you don't like.
Old 08-20-18, 11:48 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by V350
Front strut bar will make the front of the car more stiff, but factor in that anytime you make one change, you might make 3 other things not to your liking. A front only sway bar will stiffen the front with the same qualities remaining out back, which may produce a handling difference you don't like.
So true ...!