Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rented a 2018 Nissan Maxima for the day, my thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-18, 02:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts
Default Rented a 2018 Nissan Maxima for the day, my thoughts

Well, I had to put the Pacifica in for the open recalls (cruise control accelerating out of control, slipping out of park and rollin away, you know, silly stuff) and to address the freezing nav headunit. Chrysler rented me a car from Enterprise, and I got to choose between an old Dodge Grand Caravan for free or a new Nissan Maxima for $15. Happily forked over the $15 LOL. Drove it around a good bit, put about 90 miles on it.

Black on black, nicely equipped with leather and nav. Overall I liked it a lot, felt quite premium, nice interior, some of the best fake stitiching I’ve seen on an interior. Comfortable seats, reasonably good ride and quiet but quite agile and peppy. Great engine, very smooth and powerful with a great sound.

I was surprised I didn’t hate the CVT, I guess they’ve come a long way. Felt pretty natural, fake shift profiles worked pretty well.

Tech is absolutely archaic, I mean mid 00s Lexus level, they badly need a reworked infotainment upgrade. Snappy and quick to enter destinations though, faster than what I have in the Lexus or the Pacifica.

Obviously not a car that would interest me, but I would definitely consider a Nissan or Infiniti product in the future
Old 07-17-18, 02:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Well, I had to put the Pacifica in for the open recalls (cruise control accelerating out of control, slipping out of park and rollin away, you know, silly stuff) and to address the freezing nav headunit.

I thought Chrysler got that Slip-Out-of-Park problem fixed (after Anton Yelchin's death) when they redesigned the last-generation E-Shifters...and the Pacifica also has that new rotary-shift.

Chrysler rented me a car from Enterprise, and I got to choose between an old Dodge Grand Caravan for free or a new Nissan Maxima for $15. Happily forked over the $15 LOL. Drove it around a good bit, put about 90 miles on it.
Agreed....that was easily a no-brainer, even for the extra $15.

Black on black, nicely equipped with leather and nav. Overall I liked it a lot, felt quite premium, nice interior, some of the best fake stitiching I’ve seen on an interior. Comfortable seats, reasonably good ride and quiet but quite agile and peppy. Great engine, very smooth and powerful with a great sound.
Nissans went through severe cost-cutting (and horrible, plastic-toy interiors) when Carlos Ghosn first implemented his Scrooge measures to try and get the company back on its feet. Today, perhaps only the Versa still shows signs of that....perhaps because of its extremely low price, which is down around the Mitsubishi Mirage level, and undercuts even the Kia Rio. But most Nissan sedans, today, including the Maxima are as nice or better than their competition inside.

I was surprised I didn’t hate the CVT, I guess they’ve come a long way. Felt pretty natural, fake shift profiles worked pretty well.
Nissan has (arguably) perfected the operation of the CVT more than any other manufacturer, which is not surprising, considering that they were probably the first mass-market manufacturer in the U.S. to use them in large numbers. However, the CVTs, though steadily improving with time, have had reliability issues, and still continue to do so, to some extent.

Old 07-17-18, 03:06 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I think CVTs are much easier to live with in cars with sufficient power. The one in my sister's Murano doesn't bother me, and nor does the one in my Highlander (though that's quite different). But I've hated the CVT in the Corollas I've driven, as the CVT just seems to highlight the weak engine.
Old 07-17-18, 05:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I thought Chrysler got that Slip-Out-of-Park problem fixed (after Anton Yelchin's death) when they redesigned the last-generation E-Shifters...and the Pacifica also has that new rotary-shift.
It had to do with the shift lock bypass switch, apparently the cover can be removed without a screwdriver and this is a problem...they replaced the cover with a different cover.

Nissans went through severe cost-cutting (and horrible, plastic-toy interiors) when Carlos Ghosn first implemented his Scrooge measures to try and get the company back on its feet. Today, perhaps only the Versa still shows signs of that....perhaps because of its extremely low price, which is down around the Mitsubishi Mirage level, and undercuts even the Kia Rio. But most Nissan sedans, today, including the Maxima are as nice or better than their competition inside.
This was really nice. Nice leather, nice imitation leather on the doors and console, nice metal trim.

Originally Posted by JDR76
I think CVTs are much easier to live with in cars with sufficient power. The one in my sister's Murano doesn't bother me, and nor does the one in my Highlander (though that's quite different). But I've hated the CVT in the Corollas I've driven, as the CVT just seems to highlight the weak engine.
This may very well be. My main experience with CVTs comes from our old Prius and my brother's old Jeep Patriot. He had a new Civic with a CVT that felt very good, and has a Murano now which I have not driven.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 07-21-18 at 02:33 PM.
Old 07-17-18, 06:31 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Well, I had to put the Pacifica in for the open recalls (cruise control accelerating out of control, slipping out of park and rollin away, you know, silly stuff) and to address the freezing nav headunit. Chrysler rented me a car from Enterprise, and I got to choose between an old Dodge Grand Caravan for free or a new Nissan Maxima for $15. Happily forked over the $15 LOL. Drove it around a good bit, put about 90 miles on it.

Tech is absolutely archaic, I mean mid 00s Lexus level, they badly need a reworked infotainment upgrade. Snappy and quick to enter destinations though, faster than what I have in the Lexus or the Pacifica.

Obviously not a car that would interest me, but I would definitely consider a Nissan or Infiniti product in the future
Why not use voice command in GPS? I use it all the time. Nissan has been under dog no matter how they build their vehicles. During the Korean war ROKA was supplied with Toyota, Nissan, Isuzu trucks by Japanese. Of those 3 trucks Toyota turck was least liked by soldiers back then due to anemic power train.

Last edited by Htony; 07-17-18 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-18-18, 05:12 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I rented one not that long ago, and noticed that my knee pushed in the door panel, quite surprising. I looked up the configuration and it was 2nd from the top, wasn't a base car. As an owner of a 4th gen Maxima, it's sad to see how this car co. has fallen.

Then again, I got a brand new Rogue recently, and although it didn't drive very well, it was well appointed and had 7 miles on it when I got it so I actually liked it--way better than a Pathfinder last year that I got. The steering wheel was actually nice and it had radar cruise, and I could get XM311.

I think I only need a few more rentals this year to move up to Executive. That will mean bye bye Nissan, hello Lincoln!
Old 07-18-18, 05:25 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Maxima is a nice car.
Not sure about now but about a year ago they were running CRAZY lease deals - you can get SR trim, which is about $40k for $350 per month. Interior/ seating position are very good.
Old 07-18-18, 05:32 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

Good write-up. Did you notice which trim it was? Did it have a pano sunroof?

I rent cars pretty frequently and I recently had a loaded Altima and was pretty impressed with the seat comfort (as you mention on the Maxima) and I also really didn't mind the CVT feel of the engine and liked the agility and pep of the car overall. I don't really care for the exterior of the Maxima but I agree the interior is well-executed. I really wish they'd bring back the option of a manual transmission in the Maxima - they were truly 4 door sports cars back in the day with the manual.
Old 07-18-18, 06:34 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrmckinley

I rent cars pretty frequently and I recently had a loaded Altima and was pretty impressed with the seat comfort (as you mention on the Maxima) and I also really didn't mind the CVT feel of the engine and liked the agility and pep of the car overall. I don't really care for the exterior of the Maxima but I agree the interior is well-executed. I really wish they'd bring back the option of a manual transmission in the Maxima - they were truly 4 door sports cars back in the day with the manual.
The question I asked myself was would I spend my own money on this '18 Maxima, and the answer was no. And I was a fan through about 2003. Remember when its xenons were getting ripped off? It was such big news a countertop installer asked me if my headlights had ever been stolen (I said mine is a '98 no).

It's funny on the car rental webpage, there is a checkbox for manual--I wonder if there's a manual rental available in the nation? (from a chain, not an exotic or Turo)

Even the '18 M3 CS cannot have a manual, it's getting so crazy out there. The new M5 has a slushbox auto. No matter what anybody says, I prefer a 3rd pedal. My wife hasn't driven a stick in 2 yrs., and just asked me on Sun. do I think she still can? Honey, like riding a bike!
Old 07-18-18, 07:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Htony
Why not use voice command in GPS? I use it all the time. Nissan has been under dog no matter how they build their vehicles. During the Korean war ROKA was supplied with Toyota, Nissan, Isuzu trucks by Japanese. Of those 3 trucks Toyota turck was least liked by soldiers back then due to anemic power train.
It doesn't work on any cars I've owned or own lol

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
No sunroof at all.

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
The question I asked myself was would I spend my own money on this '18 Maxima, and the answer was no.
The one I drove was very solid, well appointed, had about 5k miles on it, no rattles or looseness, all the materials were holding up nice. Would I buy one over a Camry or Accord? Without hesitation.
Old 07-18-18, 08:03 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never understood the hate for it.

I had it as a rental for a few days. Really nice looking car, looks more expensive than it is. Interior is very nice as well, it had a sporty "cockpit" type of feel. Steering weight was also better than average.

I had one of its competitor's, the Chrysler 300, as a rental recently too. All that car had going for it it's interior space, a smooth ride, and nice styling. Interior quality and fit/finish were putrid.
Old 07-18-18, 08:13 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I actually thought it had zero steering feel, as did the rogue (using the '16 or '18 BMW 3 series as having little to no feel, if the BMW were 10/100, with 100 being excellent, the Maxima was a 0. I think it's on purpose and what people want now. The GM of the Lexus dealer seemed to want honest input, so as we drove the RX-L, I showed him this is what I don't like about many cars today, and I turned the steering wheel with my pinkie while standing still. Either I have Jack Lalanne's pinkies, or there is a lot of assist today.
Old 07-18-18, 09:44 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ I know its kind of funny how we have come back full circle to way overboosted/numb steering like old American cars with power steering from the 60's/70's/80's.

As for the new Maxima, if its 35-40k, I'd rather just have a less well appointed Infiniti Q50. If you stay light on the options, a V6 Q50 is about the same price as a loaded Maxima. I can deal with less features for a much better chassis with RWD, just don't select the silly electric steering option on the Q50.
Old 07-18-18, 10:46 AM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Never driven one, but I think its exterior styling is eye catching relative to the Accord and Camry.
Old 07-18-18, 05:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I actually thought it had zero steering feel, as did the rogue (using the '16 or '18 BMW 3 series as having little to no feel, if the BMW were 10/100, with 100 being excellent, the Maxima was a 0. I think it's on purpose and what people want now. The GM of the Lexus dealer seemed to want honest input, so as we drove the RX-L, I showed him this is what I don't like about many cars today, and I turned the steering wheel with my pinkie while standing still. Either I have Jack Lalanne's pinkies, or there is a lot of assist today.
Welcome to the world of electric power steering. In exchange for much simpler design, no hydraulic fluid, no leaks, less drag on the engine, better fuel mileage (marginally), and no periodic service or replacements to speak of, the flip side is a major loss of steering feel, particularly with BMWs.

Quick Reply: Rented a 2018 Nissan Maxima for the day, my thoughts