LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

How reliable is the 2013+ LS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-18, 12:12 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts
Default How reliable is the 2013+ LS?

whats up everyone. I’ve had a 2001 GS430 for a while now and I need a bigger car so I’m looking into something good that’s going to last me a while like my GS did. If the suspension wasn’t such a piece of crap and it was AWD I would probably be keeping my GS but I need a safer car for my family now. How reliable are these new LS past 100k? Is it like the old ones? I’m sure it’s light years above my gs but that old school reliability is what keeps me in Lesus, minus the suspension issues the GS is notorious for. Was debating 2013-2015 LS or a GS350 of similar year or newer, both AWD of course. Is it worth the extra money? I’m sure I’m going to get nothin but yes but the LS is more money to maintain right? Has to be some reason the resale value is pretty low.
Old 07-17-18, 12:42 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I am kind of in the same boat, had a 2nd Gen GS430 that was totaled. For me it was reliable, the suspension did make a lot of creaks and squeaks in cold weather but nothing failed or needed replacing while I owned it, the 2001 was supposed to address the poor ball joint design. The LS460 has its own suspension issues and unfortunately they are worse then the GS, upper control arms being the worse and there is no cheap solution if you get a AWD LS unless you press out the bushings yourself, there are other areas too like brake actuator, dash melting, ML amp failing, etc. I would do some research, the LS is still more reliable then the Germans but it has some expensive issues you may have to deal with and watch out for.
Old 07-17-18, 02:10 PM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

My .02, the suspension issues are over exaggerated. Sticky door panels are only an issue if you get a early year LS and park it outside in the sun. Only issue I've had is the starter and now the fuel pump o-rings are starting to go at 160k. Bought the car in 2010 at 38k.
Old 07-17-18, 02:19 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jasoneo5
My .02, the suspension issues are over exaggerated. Sticky door panels are only an issue if you get a early year LS and park it outside in the sun. Only issue I've had is the starter and now the fuel pump o-rings are starting to go at 160k. Bought the car in 2010 at 38k.
your talking about the older ones. I was actually looking at some 07-09 for half the price as well. But I just don’t like the body nearly as much as the new shape. These issues sound minor compared to the issues I’ve had with the GS especially living in NYC. The car eats bushings and suspension parts
Old 07-17-18, 05:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I agree that the suspension issues are over exaggerated. Had a long conversation about this with my mechanic, who said the 13-17 cars have much better bushings, and when/if they fail he just presses in new bushings.

The LS is a complex car, and its somewhat costlier to maintain than the GS or other lesser Lexus vehicles, thats always been true, its nothing new. They will need suspension work as they age. Sticky dashes are a non-issue in a 13-17, no evidence of any issues with brake actuators either, and the ML audio has been detuned to where ML amps shouldn't be an issue either.

I would drive this car well over 100k miles without hesitation.

Originally Posted by UDel
the suspension did make a lot of creaks and squeaks in cold weather but nothing failed or needed replacing while I owned it
Correction, the suspension on your GS needed work too address the "lot of creaks and squeaks in cold weather" you just chose not to address those concerns.
Old 07-19-18, 07:35 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Thanks for the help guys. By the way is the AWD a good car for the snow or is it still crap because it’s a heavy sedan ? It’s hard to decide if it’s worth spending double the money for the new shape or just buy like an 09 or something for half the price
Old 07-19-18, 07:50 AM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

2010-2012 are the best looking to most folks
Old 07-19-18, 07:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jasoneo5
2010-2012 are the best looking to most folks
You mean, to you

Originally Posted by DMPesso
Thanks for the help guys. By the way is the AWD a good car for the snow or is it still crap because it’s a heavy sedan ? It’s hard to decide if it’s worth spending double the money for the new shape or just buy like an 09 or something for half the price
I've had both the AWD car and the RWD car. The AWD is awesome in the snow. It really does a great job. The RWD car (at least the 13-17) is also surprisingly good in the snow.

However, if you're going to drive it in the snow a good bit, I would get the AWD, and in fact you'll find in your region if thats the case they're all AWD anyway.

As with any new car, I'd get the newest one you can afford. Yes an 09 is cheaper, but its much older...its a tradeoff.
Old 07-19-18, 08:04 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I agree that the suspension issues are over exaggerated. Had a long conversation about this with my mechanic, who said the 13-17 cars have much better bushings, and when/if they fail he just presses in new bushings.

The LS is a complex car, and its somewhat costlier to maintain than the GS or other lesser Lexus vehicles, thats always been true, its nothing new. They will need suspension work as they age. Sticky dashes are a non-issue in a 13-17, no evidence of any issues with brake actuators either, and the ML audio has been detuned to where ML amps shouldn't be an issue either.

I would drive this car well over 100k miles without hesitation.

Correction, the suspension on your GS needed work too address the "lot of creaks and squeaks in cold weather" you just chose not to address those concerns.
No, actually I took it to 5 different mechanics/places including Toyota/Lexus to find out what was wrong and they all said they can't find anything, your suspension is fine, they tightened what they could, lubricated just about everything, and it still did not fully get rid of the problem that would come back mainly in cold temps. Had a mechanic who was a friend sit in the car and listen while I drove it but it was summer at that time and it was not making too much noise, he said he just did not know form listening and examining my car. I was often under the car looking with a flash light for what it could possibly be. I changed the sway bar bushings and it helped a little because the car was tighter after that and did not rock back and forth in the turns and that seemed to help some but did not fully get rid of it. In the summer/hotter temperatures and after the years the noise eventually became almost non existent and was not as bad in the winter either.

There were many people with a 2nd Gen GS that had the same exact problem, a mystery creak/squeak mainly in cold temps going over speed bumps/turns that they or their mechanics cold not figure out even after changing thousands of dollars worth of suspension parts.

Old 07-19-18, 08:14 AM
rstewart
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a 2013 LS new and have had no problems It is a great dependable car. I currently have about 61,000 miles.
Old 07-19-18, 08:16 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by UDel
No, actually I took it to 5 different mechanics/places including Toyota/Lexus to find out what was wrong and they all said they can't find anything, your suspension is fine, they tightened what they could, lubricated just about everything, and it still did not fully get rid of the problem that would come back mainly in cold temps. Had a mechanic who was a friend sit in the car and listen while I drove it but it was summer at that time and it was not making too much noise, he said he just did not know form listening and examining my car. I was often under the car looking with a flash light for what it could possibly be. I changed the sway bar bushings and it helped a little because the car was tighter after that and did not rock back and forth in the turns and that seemed to help some but did not fully get rid of it. In the summer/hotter temperatures and after the years the noise eventually became almost non existent and was not as bad in the winter either.

There were many people with a 2nd Gen GS that had the same exact problem, a mystery creak/squeak mainly in cold temps going over speed bumps/turns that they or their mechanics cold not figure out even after changing thousands of dollars worth of suspension parts.
yup. The 2nd gen GS is a pure rattle box. The suspension sucks on this car. I changed all the parts and I still gave up and got used to the noises

You mean, to you

I've had both the AWD car and the RWD car. The AWD is awesome in the snow. It really does a great job. The RWD car (at least the 13-17) is also surprisingly good in the snow.

However, if you're going to drive it in the snow a good bit, I would get the AWD, and in fact you'll find in your region if thats the case they're all AWD anyway.

As with any new car, I'd get the newest one you can afford. Yes an 09 is cheaper, but its much older...its a tradeoff.
yea I live in NYC so getting another RWD is not an option I don’t care how good the deal is. I told myself my next car will be AWD no matter what. I’ll look into an older one. The 2013 just looks soooo nice just not sure if it’s worth taking on a monthly payment
Old 07-19-18, 08:50 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rstewart
I bought a 2013 LS new and have had no problems It is a great dependable car. I currently have about 61,000 miles.
I really want the 2013. Even considering the GS as well just to have that new shape.
Old 07-19-18, 10:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Then get the 2013. Getting what you want is cheaper in the long run.
Old 07-19-18, 11:00 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Then get the 2013. Getting what you want is cheaper in the long run.
haha. Good point. I’m just not sure how worth it it is to take on payments. But it does seem like I’ll be happy for much longer if I have the 2013.
Old 07-19-18, 11:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The being happy for longer makes it worth it.

Quick Reply: How reliable is the 2013+ LS?