RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Brake bleeding

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-18, 07:04 AM
daddiojigg
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Brake bleeding

i put this on the 3Rx site because that is the vehicle i am doing it to but i would think it would apply to most types.Anyways, i am going to do a ! man bleed/flush and i've seen how to make a bottle with hose and filled about 2-3 inches of brake fluid to submerge output end of hose. i understand the process but one thing keeps popping into my head:

Unless the hose is FULL of fluid , do you not introduce air into the system on the return stroke? My mechanic friend says this and i don't know enough to counter his argument that it should be a two person job.
Old 07-17-18, 10:21 AM
mylexbaby
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by daddiojigg
Unless the hose is FULL of fluid , do you not introduce air into the system on the return stroke? My mechanic friend says this and i don't know enough to counter his argument that it should be a two person job.
How are you planning to do the bleed/flush?
Briefly, and with a full reservoir, the two person method has Person A stepping on brake pedal before Person B opens bleeder. After fluid comes out, Person B closes bleeder before Person A releases the brake. (The above is repeated.) No to low chance of air going in thru the bleeder.

If you plan on one person with the hose full of fluid (maybe by gravity drain first) and then submerged in the 2-3 inches and bleeder open, pumping the brake pedal by yourself will risk fluid/air movement UP the hose back in thru the bleeder.

But if gravity will fill hose reasonably quickly, maybe gravity bleed/flush and patience will work for you.

Last edited by mylexbaby; 07-19-18 at 08:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
daddiojigg (07-17-18)
Old 07-17-18, 07:17 PM
numbafree
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Power bleeder baby. You can thank me later. I use it a little differently, I don't put brake fluid in the power bleeder, I just use it to create back pressure, and top of the reservoir as needed (usually after I finish the rear wheels, and then after I finisht the front wheels). I use a hand vac to drain the reservoir of the old brake fluid, and fill it up with fresh brake fluid, then I bleed each caliper. I like 8 psi btw.

Amazon Amazon

Gravity bleed works meaning that you open the brake bleeder screw, and let gravity do the rest, but it's slow.
Old 07-18-18, 03:46 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Care or not, ABS block can't be bled conventional way described here. It needs to be bled separately, or air will be trapped in it.
Old 07-18-18, 04:01 PM
daddiojigg
Advanced

With all due respect Ukroz, i think the Rx350's can be done conventionally. It is the hybrids that need the Techstream to bleed the rears. I ralize i wasn't very clear as to which vehicle i was doing but it was the 2011.In my haste to post i put this in 2Rx by mistake when i meant to put it in 3Rx.
Old 07-19-18, 03:41 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

ABS block has none to do with hybrids or rear brakes bleeding. Ever since around 2000, when they became common on all cars, there is simple mechanical way to bleed ABS. Fancy way is to connect scanner and move ABS actuators and valves during bleeding.
Redneck way is to accelerate to around 50mph, then slam on brakes both feet till about complete stop, repeat 3 more times.

As of necessity to move brake actuator internal components with techstream - that's across any Toyota brake actuator. With all due respect, far I have seen so far on Camry Hybrid, Highlander Hybrid, Lexus RX350 and Lexus NX200t - that component is the same under each of those cars hoods. It's part of Toyota brake by wire system and I am safely betting, 2009 RX is as much brake by wire as was my 2007 Camry Hybrid.
Now, is it clearly indicated to do so for RX non hybrids vs hybrids - that I do not know, as I have no open non hybrid Alldata accounts. I am simply assuming, brake actuator is brake actuator, hybrid or not. Appears to be so, just looking at it. And they are very expensive to repair.
Old 07-20-18, 06:38 AM
daddiojigg
Advanced

i don't want this thread to go too long but you might want to view these vids.
Notice the URL.

https://www.clublexus.com/how-tos/a/...e-fluid-363512

and

https://www.clublexus.com/how-tos/a/...ke-line-363513 go to 2:51 in this vid
Old 07-20-18, 10:42 AM
mylexbaby
Driver

i don't want this thread to go too long but you might want to view these vids.
Notice the URL.

https://www.clublexus.com/how-tos/a/...e-fluid-363512

and

https://www.clublexus.com/how-tos/a/...ke-line-363513 go to 2:51 in this vid
I'm not clear on how you are going to do the bleed/flush as a one-person job, and two quick reminders might help.
First, air can come back into the system from around the tubing/nipple connection AND thru the threads of a bleeder screw if it is opened enough.
Second, pumping to pressurize the system, letting go of the pedal, and then opening the bleeder might not mean enough pressure to make it worthwhile compared to gravity bleed/flush (because of the repeated rounds of tightening/loosening the bleeder).

Last edited by mylexbaby; 07-20-18 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-20-18, 11:31 AM
daddiojigg
Advanced

lex: do a search and you'll find how to do a one man bleed/flush.My initial question was how does it not introduce-or at least the possibility- of air in the system.I am going to do two man exactly as you described. Don't exactly know what a gravity bleed is and why it would be recommended.
Old 07-20-18, 04:17 PM
mylexbaby
Driver

lex: do a search and you'll find how to do a one man bleed/flush.My initial question was how does it not introduce-or at least the possibility- of air in the system.I am going to do two man exactly as you described. Don't exactly know what a gravity bleed is and why it would be recommended.
Two-person method works fine as long as both communicate well.
Gravity bleed is opening the valve with tubing attached and letting the fluid flow out (from the higher position of the reservoir to the lower position of the valve) due to gravity. I have a 19-yr old car where I did this two weeks ago. Flow rate is slow, so it takes patience -- but unlike what some people on the internet say, it flowed fast enough (about 1-2 drops per second -- warm weather helps) that I could not walk away to watch TV or do something else. Only one person is needed, and there are fewer things that can go wrong.
Old 07-20-18, 04:21 PM
daddiojigg
Advanced

lex: how long does that typically take ? On an Rx350 for example.
Old 07-20-18, 09:41 PM
mylexbaby
Driver

lex: how long does that typically take ? On an Rx350 for example.
I don't have an RX350, so maybe Post #2 on this thread will help.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...ding-tips.html
The following users liked this post:
daddiojigg (07-21-18)