CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

MPGs

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-18, 06:08 PM
CaptRog21
Pole Position

Received 100 Likes on 54 Posts
Default MPGs

Not sure if my expectations for MPGs is unfounded but I was thinking when I bought my '14 CT that I would average around 40 MPG. I do probably 70% highway driving and 30% city. After a year now, I rarely see a tank average over 35 mpg and its usually around 33. It's my wife's car and she always uses at least 91 octane gas just because I've always been trained to use it even if not mandatory. Does this sound rather odd to anyone else? What do others typically see on average?
Old 07-15-18, 08:24 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Try regular gas for a couple of full tanks and report back. You will be surprised.

Originally Posted by CaptRog21
Not sure if my expectations for MPGs is unfounded but I was thinking when I bought my '14 CT that I would average around 40 MPG. I do probably 70% highway driving and 30% city. After a year now, I rarely see a tank average over 35 mpg and its usually around 33. It's my wife's car and she always uses at least 91 octane gas just because I've always been trained to use it even if not mandatory. Does this sound rather odd to anyone else? What do others typically see on average?
Old 07-16-18, 07:12 AM
SFarmer
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That seems really low to me. Mileage can vary a lot depending on terrain. The small gas engine doesn't do well in hilly situations and you always use more gas going uphill than you save coasting down the other side.

My mailbox is a mile from my house and I can pull out of my driveway and coast all the way to it... but those short daily trips and the climb back home averages in the mid 30s if that is all I do. On the other hand, a highway speed trip (65mph) with a bit of California "slow and go" traffic on flat terrain can net me 55mpg.

Temperature plays a role too. It seems 75F or above gets better mileage than colder days despite the air conditioner running. Doesn't make a lot of sense but it is consistent for me. I run Michelin Premier tires that are low resistance similar to the OEM tires. Of course driving style would also make a lot of difference. I seldom use cruise control and run in "normal" mode most of the time. On a full tank, I usually average around 45mph with a mix of driving.

I've never used high octane in mine but lexusrus comment above is interesting and definitely worth a try.
The following users liked this post:
CaptRog21 (07-16-18)
Old 07-16-18, 07:57 AM
Miamiboy87
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I travel about 22 miles to work and about 16 of those are highway miles. I keep my speed about 60/65 on Eco mode and average about 42mpg.. I never understand how people get anything above 45mpg.. This is on a pretty flat surface and no traffic in SoCal temp.
Old 07-16-18, 12:19 PM
CaptRog21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Miamiboy87
I travel about 22 miles to work and about 16 of those are highway miles. I keep my speed about 60/65 on Eco mode and average about 42mpg.. I never understand how people get anything above 45mpg.. This is on a pretty flat surface and no traffic in SoCal temp.
At least your getting 42! I'm in Phoenix so its very flat and although I drive a little faster on the highway (between 70-80) I would have hoped to at least be in the high 30's or low 40's. Do not understand how 35-36 is my peak average.
Old 07-16-18, 05:26 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

When I first got the CT200h I used to put in 91/93 Octane gas. I was thinking only getting around 32 mpg .

I had it checked out at a Lexus dealership and was told to use regular gas for a couple of tanks and see . Surprisingly my mpg improved. But for sustained high speed cruising WITH A HEAVY FOOT......my mpg drops to like 28 mpg!!!

I find the GLIDING, PULSE and LIGHT BRAKING TO A STOP REALLY IMPROVES MPG.

Originally Posted by SFarmer
That seems really low to me. Mileage can vary a lot depending on terrain. The small gas engine doesn't do well in hilly situations and you always use more gas going uphill than you save coasting down the other side.

My mailbox is a mile from my house and I can pull out of my driveway and coast all the way to it... but those short daily trips and the climb back home averages in the mid 30s if that is all I do. On the other hand, a highway speed trip (65mph) with a bit of California "slow and go" traffic on flat terrain can net me 55mpg.

Temperature plays a role too. It seems 75F or above gets better mileage than colder days despite the air conditioner running. Doesn't make a lot of sense but it is consistent for me. I run Michelin Premier tires that are low resistance similar to the OEM tires. Of course driving style would also make a lot of difference. I seldom use cruise control and run in "normal" mode most of the time. On a full tank, I usually average around 45mph with a mix of driving.

I've never used high octane in mine but lexusrus comment above is interesting and definitely worth a try.

Last edited by lexusrus; 07-17-18 at 06:41 AM.
Old 07-16-18, 09:58 PM
SFarmer
Driver School Candidate

At least your getting 42! I'm in Phoenix so its very flat and although I drive a little faster on the highway (between 70-80) I would have hoped to at least be in the high 30's or low 40's. Do not understand how 35-36 is my peak average.
The wind resistance at 80mph is much higher than 70mph, so try lower your top speed just a little. I enjoy the MPG and it was a big reason for getting the CT, but I wish the gas engine was just a little more powerful so it wouldn't struggle climbing hills and going speeds like 80mph so much. For many people, it would get better mileage with a slightly stronger engine.

According to CNN, "Pushing air around actually takes up about 40% of a car's energy at highway speeds. Traveling faster makes the job even harder...The increase is actually exponential, meaning wind resistance rises much more steeply between 70 and 80 mph than it does between 50 and 60."
Old 07-17-18, 01:25 AM
CaptRog21
Pole Position

Soooo slow down a bit and try regular gas! I'll give it a shot and see what happens. Thanks for the input!
Old 07-17-18, 07:39 AM
Miamiboy87
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Soooo slow down a bit and try regular gas! I'll give it a shot and see what happens. Thanks for the input!
Keep the car in the "eco" mode, the blue line. That's what I do when i'm on the freeway or street. I only use Sport when merging into the freeway and then switch to Eco when i'm like at 65
Old 07-18-18, 01:47 PM
Vegasaurus
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

always uses at least 91 octane gas just because I've always been trained to use it even if not mandatory. Does this sound rather odd to anyone else?
Indeed it's quite perplexing.
Old 09-19-18, 04:57 PM
Sfcyclist
Driver

I've only driven on 1 tank of gas since I bought it but found these MPG reports to be realistic. Technique is important as I've learned in my Prius.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/lexus/ct200h

Last edited by Sfcyclist; 09-19-18 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-21-18, 08:23 PM
MKLyon2013
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have only had my 2013 CT200h for about 3 months. Getting 46.5 MPG on regular gas. Probably 50/50 highway vs in town. Terrain is minor hilly, definitely not flat. bought car with a salvage title. Previous owner purchased car at auction about 3 years ago. They said it was a lightning strike and they fixed it. Think we are pretty safe regarding the salvage title, since it's been 3 years, but who knows? No problems so far, paid $6,500.00 w/ 122,000 k miles. My only regret is insurance coverage. They would not offer collision or comprehensive on car.
Old 09-22-18, 10:12 AM
Raidin
Advanced

Received 203 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by MKLyon2013
I have only had my 2013 CT200h for about 3 months. Getting 46.5 MPG on regular gas. Probably 50/50 highway vs in town. Terrain is minor hilly, definitely not flat. bought car with a salvage title. Previous owner purchased car at auction about 3 years ago. They said it was a lightning strike and they fixed it. Think we are pretty safe regarding the salvage title, since it's been 3 years, but who knows? No problems so far, paid $6,500.00 w/ 122,000 k miles. My only regret is insurance coverage. They would not offer collision or comprehensive on car.
The money you saved hopefully will cover the fact that you are insurance deficient right now.

Regarding MPGs, the driving style definitely makes a difference, but so do other factors, like accessories people put on their car that increase drag (like roof racks and such), loading the car with lots of cargo (weight), and tires of course.

I normally get 60 50 MPG or so average when I drive 60 or 65 MPH mostly on the highway. I recently got my next set of tires and tried OEM again to see if it is worth it after trying so many other tires. While I immediately noticed the OEM tires are quieter, more comfortable, and sharper in turn-ins, I lost nearly 3 MPG or so. The best I can pull off is 47 MPG.

If you drive at average traffic speeds, such as 70 to 80 MPH, and don't use cruise control or spend a lot of time on the highway, you will be between 35 and 45 MPG most of the time. Anything above 45 MPG requires slower speeds and efficiency (like low weight, calm driving style, and good tires).

Last edited by Raidin; 09-25-18 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-25-18, 04:01 PM
MKLyon2013
Driver School Candidate

Hey Raidin, thanks for your input. No accessories on my car, and usually just a solo driver w/o much cargo. The tires are Nitto, but don't know the specs, about 60 - 75% life left on em. 1134 tanks....your obviously keeping some very detailed records !

Yes, the insurance is a big detriment, but hopefully luck will be on our side. This CT is actually my daughter's (19 yrs) car, her mom cosigned a 4 year loan (State credit union) for her. That 60 mpg is pretty awesome even tho TX is very flat - my car (04 Acura TL) gets high 20s at best, but don't drive much anymore.

How many miles have you racked up so far? We just changed the oil w/ Mobile 1, and thinking of going 10k between changes. From what I have read, the CT gets better mpg in town due to the battery ??
Old 09-25-18, 04:14 PM
MKLyon2013
Driver School Candidate

Raidin, just saw your 400k post...holy crap !!

Quick Reply: MPGs