IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-18, 02:50 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,079 Likes on 1,570 Posts
Post 3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!

As everyone has different levels of car/3IS knowledge, I thought this may be helpful where people such as new and old owners alike can ask casual questions about their 3IS, maintenance, operation, service, etc. without feeling like they're asking dumb questions. Anything at all! There are no dumb questions (within reason of course).

Anyone with knowledge of course is welcome to help answer peoples questions as all of us don't know all the answers. We all have to learn somehow. Just make sure it's solid information. =)

So how about it, any very basic/simple or "dumb" 3IS questions you've always wondered about? Such as what's this light for? What's this button do? What happens when you ____?
The following 5 users liked this post by E46CT:
Aesthete (12-05-20), arentz07 (07-05-18), ghome208 (11-11-19), ShrinkDoc (07-03-18), Sirachacha (02-01-20)
Old 07-03-18, 03:06 PM
a1rh3adsz
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

^This is a good thread. The same thread over at my Audi forum is very helpful with over thousands of questions and answers.
Old 07-03-18, 03:18 PM
ShrinkDoc
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Great thread...thanks!!!!!

Question: There are numerous threads on the 3rd edition IS. Essentially, what are the top 5-10 issues noted in this forum for the 3rd generation IS, especially to some one looking to buy one, or to a newbie?

What I've read has been:
1) The infotainment system, such as the endless looping on the screen
The following users liked this post:
link13 (10-07-18)
Old 07-03-18, 03:24 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Common problems?

Off top of my head:

2014 250/350 battery draining problem. It's apparently fixed with an updated part/tsb? I'm not sure. Someone else can chime in

Accelerated Inner tire wear on front tires. Normal on 2IS and 3IS. All models including F Sport and F models.

F Sport front pad and rotors fast wear. 10-18,000 miles is average. Normal. High performance/high wear. Some install alternative pads to get low wear, low dust.
The following users liked this post:
ShrinkDoc (07-03-18)
Old 07-03-18, 03:37 PM
nan88
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Great opportunity!
Odometer question:

Has anyone experienced this issue?
Where the odometer LCD is completely white.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...-clusters.html
http://www.taninautoelectronix.com/R...ter_repair.htm

Last edited by nan88; 07-03-18 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-03-18, 03:41 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Common problems?

Off top of my head:

2014 250/350 battery draining problem. It's apparently fixed with an updated part/tsb? I'm not sure. Someone else can chime in

Accelerated Inner tire wear on front tires. Normal on 2IS and 3IS. All models including F Sport and F models.

F Sport front pad and rotors fast wear. 10-18,000 miles is average. Normal. High performance/high wear. Some install alternative pads to get low wear, low dust.
Any idea why the front tire inner wear occurs and why Lexus didn't do anything about it as they released new models?
Old 07-03-18, 03:49 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Flash5
Any idea why the front tire inner wear occurs and why Lexus didn't do anything about it as they released new models?
The inner tire wear is due to dynamic toe change particularly under braking and cornering. Basically as the tire is rolling down the road on a slightly negative static camber, it's also "wiggling" under load. So the inner tire experiences a lot of pressure/rubbing/wear on the very inside of the tire. The 2IS uses the same basic front suspension/bushing design and experiences the same wear. Was at a grocery store the other day and noticed a bone stock grandma 2IS with severely worn inner front tires.

The upside is you have a lot of compliance and stability/traction under bumpy conditions (the conditions you'd experience on most streets) For example, in a theoretical solid suspension (lets say we make this bushing solid aluminum), the shock wouldn't be absorbed and if you were cornering at the same time you hit a bump, the tire would lose traction and thus you'd lose control. So for the street, there has to be some compliance. On a race track with perfect smoothness, theoretically you'd want 0 movement. But our cars are made for the streets and therefore we have a high performance/high wear situation. The stiffer you make that bushing, the more noise and vibration that enters the cabin. But remember this is still a mass-market "luxury" car. So as with most things, there's a tradeoff. I wish a company made a stiffer rubber bushing. Meyle does something similar for the E46 BMW which has a similar problem. They make a solid rubber bushing vs. the stock BMW fluid filled. Lasts longer, stiffer, without being overbearing.
The following 2 users liked this post by E46CT:
Is350baby (12-29-22), ShrinkDoc (07-03-18)
Old 07-03-18, 04:09 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by E46CT
The inner tire wear is due to dynamic toe change particularly under braking and cornering. Basically as the tire is rolling down the road on a slightly negative static camber, it's also "wiggling" under load. So the inner tire experiences a lot of pressure/rubbing/wear on the very inside of the tire. The 2IS uses the same basic front suspension/bushing design and experiences the same wear. Was at a grocery store the other day and noticed a bone stock grandma 2IS with severely worn inner front tires.

The upside is you have a lot of compliance and stability/traction under bumpy conditions (the conditions you'd experience on most streets) For example, in a theoretical solid suspension (lets say we make this bushing solid aluminum), the shock wouldn't be absorbed and if you were cornering at the same time you hit a bump, the tire would lose traction and thus you'd lose control. So for the street, there has to be some compliance. On a race track with perfect smoothness, theoretically you'd want 0 movement. But our cars are made for the streets and therefore we have a high performance/high wear situation. The stiffer you make that bushing, the more noise and vibration that enters the cabin. But remember this is still a mass-market "luxury" car. So as with most things, there's a tradeoff. I wish a company made a stiffer rubber bushing. Meyle does something similar for the E46 BMW which has a similar problem. They make a solid rubber bushing vs. the stock BMW fluid filled. Lasts longer, stiffer, without being overbearing.
Hmmmm this is the first car I've heard of that has inner wear problems like this and I've owned quite a few cars haha. So would you say the front tires get changed at about the same rate as the rears because of the inner wear problem (considering RWD)?
Old 07-03-18, 09:40 PM
yohan81718
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmmmm this is the first car I've heard of that has inner wear problems like this and I've owned quite a few cars haha. So would you say the front tires get changed at about the same rate as the rears because of the inner wear problem (considering RWD)?
Wouldn't front wear out quicker regardless of FWD/RWD (because of steers and turns)? Now with the inner wear, I'd assume front wears out much quicker than rear.. but what do I know about cars =)
Old 07-03-18, 09:51 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by yohan81718
Wouldn't front wear out quicker regardless of FWD/RWD (because of steers and turns)? Now with the inner wear, I'd assume front wears out much quicker than rear.. but what do I know about cars =)
RWD cars, the tires wear out faster on the rear due to acceleration going to those tires and since we can’t rotate they wear out a lot faster. This is when you’re driving start/stop traffic, if you only drive almost exclusively highway the treads should wear evenly front and rear.
Old 07-03-18, 10:54 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

When I changed my fronts at around 15,000 miles, the very inner on the front tires were bald while the rest of the front tires had about 75% left--a huge waste I know. Now my car was lowered slightly (less than half an inch) so this could've sped the wear up. I got a custom alignment with my toe zeroed out so we'll see this time around if it wears the same. My rears wore much better with 10% remaining (maybe less than 1mm to the wear bars) and inners about bald. That was 21,500 miles. So about every 20,000 miles you'll need a new set of tires, assuming you are running summer tires. You can probably get 30-40k on all seasons.
Old 07-04-18, 08:19 AM
yohan81718
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

RWD cars, the tires wear out faster on the rear due to acceleration going to those tires and since we can’t rotate they wear out a lot faster. This is when you’re driving start/stop traffic, if you only drive almost exclusively highway the treads should wear evenly front and rear.
Unless you always screeching tires, front does all the turns and gets impacted by breaking. Maybe it should do more even front and rear wears compared to FWD but shouldn't wear out more rears just because RWD.... is how I was taught.
Old 07-04-18, 08:22 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by yohan81718
Unless you always screeching tires, front does all the turns and gets impacted by breaking. Maybe it should do more even front and rear wears compared to FWD but shouldn't wear out more rears just because RWD.... is how I was taught.
If you research it, most RWD cars that are sports cars the rears wear out faster. This has been my experience with my Mazda Miata (I could rotate front to back with my Miata though) and my G37S. Maybe it depends on the car and whether you have a staggered setup.
Old 07-04-18, 09:25 AM
RKSTRAT
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Really dumb question.

I am not used to this zig-zag gear shift.
My last two vehicles were a G35x and G37x.
Shift lever was straight back and fourth with a slot to go into manual.

1, Whats the the purpose of the zigzag?
2. Do you consciously guide the lever through the zigzag from park to drive? or just kind of let it find it’s way.
Old 07-04-18, 09:29 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RKSTRAT
Really dumb question.

I am not used to this zig-zag gear shift.
My last two vehicles were a G35x and G37x.
Shift lever was straight back and fourth with a slot to go into manual.

1, Whats the the purpose of the zigzag?
2. Do you consciously guide the lever through the zigzag from park to drive? or just kind of let it find it’s way.
Lol not a dumb question I have a G37S and it threw me off when I got the IS. I just let it find it’s way, though at first I was super conscious about it and would guide the lever. When I get in my G37S now it feels weird not feeling that zigzag though haha.
I think the zigzag is to try to minimize accidental movement of the lever but idk if someone else wants to input on that. Also might help to know that you changed into a different position since you’ll really feel it when you move the lever.

Quick Reply: 3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!