IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

What brand of fuel are you using?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-18, 09:06 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts
Default What brand of fuel are you using?

Sitting in line for costco gas I decided to check and see why it is I felt like I was cheating out on my car by not paying extra to go to Shell or Chevron. I have always, always, gone to Chevron and possibly Shell as my secondary.

I read a couple interesting articles (long line for Costco gas) and followed up on it later.

From what I gathered, gas is essentially the same until the companies, or brands, add detergents to the fuel. Adding "extra" detergent (more than required by law) makes the fuel "top tier" gas.

Based on a study by AAA, using top tier gas results in 19 times fewer intake valve deposits than non top tier gas. As well as other long term cleaner engine benefits.

I'm located in southern California and realize fuel brands vary across the country, and internationally.

But, what brands are you using and what can you add to this topic on fuel quality?

Here is a list of these top tier fuel brands. Do you think each is as good as the other? Some cheaper places I would never go are listed here and I'm just curious what your takes are on it.

Top Tier Licensed Brands
Old 07-02-18, 09:11 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Chevron mostly. Sometimes Shell. The stations pumps are almost always available.
Old 07-02-18, 09:19 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

Yup have always used top tier gas. In my case, I ALWAYS use Shell. Almost all of the top tier gas brands use quite a bit of detergent, but other than that there’s no way of telling what exactly would make one premium better than the other. I use Shell because I like the science behind their V Power Nitro+ formula supposedly not only does it reduce deposits, it also protects from wear and corrosion with certain additives in their formula. Once again this is assuming it’s really true, but they provide proof and stuff so it must be at least partly true. Oh also over here in the South we get 93 octane not 91 like on the west coast (lived in San Diego for half my life) which really has almost no added benefit but I would imagine it protects even more from premature fuel detonation.

Last edited by Flash5; 07-02-18 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-02-18, 10:25 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Costco is top tier gas, isnt it?

I go between costco/chevron.

Nowadays more chevron has it closer to my work.
Old 07-02-18, 10:36 PM
jameshan
Pole Position

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

I've only taken my car to Costco.
Old 07-03-18, 02:21 AM
pvsmith
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Only put BP 93 octane in my GS350. There isn't a Shell station near where I live. And about once a month or two, I put in the STP gas treatment.
Old 07-03-18, 08:54 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,509 Likes on 1,806 Posts

I use Costco and Quiktrip, mostly. I'll go to BP if others aren't available. I used Valero a few times as well. Honestly I am not too picky about it, and I haven't noticed any difference. The only tangible difference I felt was when using ethanol-free gas at a Sinclair, when I swear it felt more responsive at low RPM. Could have been due to the several hours of driving I had done that day though.
Old 07-03-18, 08:57 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by arentz07
I use Costco and Quiktrip, mostly. I'll go to BP if others aren't available. I used Valero a few times as well. Honestly I am not too picky about it, and I haven't noticed any difference. The only tangible difference I felt was when using ethanol-free gas at a Sinclair, when I swear it felt more responsive at low RPM. Could have been due to the several hours of driving I had done that day though.
It wasn’t your imagination, ethanol free gas is more potent and produces more BTU than gasoline with ethanol. I sometimes wish more gas stations sold ethanol free gasoline.
Old 07-03-18, 09:12 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,509 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5

It wasn’t your imagination, ethanol free gas is more potent and produces more BTU than gasoline with ethanol. I sometimes wish more gas stations sold ethanol free gasoline.
True. I tried using ethanol-free gas again later and couldn't replicate that difference though. Maybe it wasn't as ethanol-free as advertised?

You can find ethanol free gas here: https://www.pure-gas.org/
The following users liked this post:
Flash5 (07-03-18)
Old 07-03-18, 09:13 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by arentz07
True. I tried using ethanol-free gas again later and couldn't replicate that difference though. Maybe it wasn't as ethanol-free as advertised?

You can find ethanol free gas here: https://www.pure-gas.org/
Lol I am familiar with that website and the only gas stations that sell ethanol free gas around my area are gas brands that aren’t top tier so I prefer more detergent over ethanol free haha
Old 07-03-18, 09:22 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by nathantse
Costco is top tier gas, isnt it?

I go between costco/chevron.

Nowadays more chevron has it closer to my work.
Costco is top tier gas.

But is 91 Costco, or 91 BP, as good as 91 Chevron I wonder.

Old 07-03-18, 09:25 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,078 Likes on 1,569 Posts

I use whatever is closer. I use Shell if I can though. But where I live, work, and my commute, Shell usually isn't a choice--too much out of the way. So I end up using Chevron 90% of the time.
Old 07-03-18, 09:28 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Here in the great white north my brand is Shell. I'm surrounded by 3 of them, but have used Shell in all my Toyota/Lexus for years and years, no matter where I lived.
For the IS I use Gold, which is ethanol free, and their highest grade available. Thankfully I don't drive much lol!
Old 07-03-18, 09:33 AM
Miamiboy87
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

As-long as it is Top Tier i'm fine with it. But you also have your "premium" stations such as Chevron, Shell, Mobil.
Old 07-03-18, 09:55 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Here in the great white north my brand is Shell. I'm surrounded by 3 of them, but have used Shell in all my Toyota/Lexus for years and years, no matter where I lived.
For the IS I use Gold, which is ethanol free, and their highest grade available. Thankfully I don't drive much lol!
I forget you guys have ethanol free Shell premium gas up there. I hate you guys lol.

Quick Reply: What brand of fuel are you using?