RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Lexus rcf or 1le Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-18, 02:36 AM
Xzria
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Lexus rcf or 1le Camaro?

First off I love both of these cars, but im having a hard time chosing one. They both have their negatives and postives. Ill post my own and you guys can chim in and tell me what you think. I am looking at a used 2016 rcf with every package and a slitely used 2017 1le ss
Pricing: Rcf - 45k 15k miles
Camaro - 37k 2k miles
both V8, but the Camaro weighing lighter and known for it's handling. Motor trend rating it one of the best handling cars. Beating the m4 gts and gt350.
Hands down the Camaro is cheaper.

Camaro 1le pros:.
​​​​​​1. Cheaper to mod .
2. Better performance all around.
3. Manual (for me is a plus)

​​​​​​Cons:
1. It's a Camaro (end Of the day there's tone of v6 that ruin the v8for me because everyone has a V6)
2. Even though I love the looks it's cheap looking
3. The interior is really cheap looking

Lexus rcf pros.
​​​​​​1. Better looking all around
2. A lot more rare, you barely see them
See the car and I love that
3. Reliability performance
4. Better interior quality
5. Probably better as a daily

Cons:
​​​​​​1.More exspensive to mod
2. Not the greatest performance

They both sound amazing with after market exhaust, but I might have to give the slight edge to Camaro just because I love the pops it has.

Here are some random pictures of both cars.

Last edited by Xzria; 06-24-18 at 05:14 AM.
Old 06-24-18, 04:58 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

youre looking at a V6 camaro? Why bother?
Old 06-24-18, 05:05 AM
Xzria
Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
youre looking at a V6 camaro? Why bother?
Dude lmao that's the V8 1le .
Old 06-24-18, 05:07 AM
SkyPara82
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

The performance market is a veritable smorgasbord these days. So many options. That said, Camaro shoppers do not normally cross-shop luxury brands. At the end of the day its a personal choice that you alone must make, for reasons that make sense to you. I had to do the same. I was a bit of an odd duck because I sold my corvette and SRT to get "more civilized performance." I wasn't getting any younger and we were moving into a community of thriving professionals. My plan had been to get the Z06 and modify it like I did my Grand Sport. But then something changed. Performance was important but wasn't my top priority. Things like safety and accident survivability (ever driven in San Antonio...valid concern) and reliability moved up in importance, as did interior. I'll be honest, loved my vette but I ended up dropping thousands of $ to make the interior look the way I felt it should've in the first place. GM is notorious for their interiors as if performance and luxury are completely separate choices. Caddy does better than most GM products.

Again, I'm not going to try to sway you either way -- this is your choice to make. What I will say is that with light performance mods, I've gotten my RC F into the sweet spot where the performance is more than enough for daily driver duties and the occasional smoking of others who think "meh, it's just a Lexus--a sheep in wolf's clothing. Probably only has a V4. I'm gonna flex up on it."
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (06-25-18)
Old 06-24-18, 05:34 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

why where you saying V6 engine tone? SS most definitely does not sound like a V6. Was the dual mode exhaust on?

just be warned the 1LE isnt very road friendly. Harsh suspension and stiff bushings. As with all camaros the visibility is terrible. Similar visibility to the viper but the camaro has no reason to have crap visibility when the mustang's is great. But if you really want a camaro best time to get it is now before the horrific 2019 refresh comes out.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 06-24-18 at 05:49 AM.
Old 06-24-18, 05:42 AM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 344 Likes on 226 Posts

The problem with buying a Camaro, is then you own a Camaro.
The following 3 users liked this post by CAHWY128:
CinFulxgs (07-19-20), finny76 (06-27-18), GunnyFitz (06-25-18)
Old 06-24-18, 06:11 AM
647TTA
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My advice. If you are under about 35 and have the need for other people to stare at your car get the Camaro. If you are a little bit older and have had enough cars that you can appreciate the finer things about how they are different, get the RCF. We looked at the Mustang and Camaro extensively before buying our '17 RCF.

2008 Corvette
2007 MDX
2002 Trans AM WS6
1989 Turbo Trans Am Indy
1988 Fiero GT

Last edited by 647TTA; 06-24-18 at 06:19 AM.
Old 06-24-18, 08:22 AM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 330 Likes on 231 Posts

If you track the car hardcore, 1LE is great. Been on track many times against it and if the driver is good, I usually get left behind. The oem suspension and tire set up is ridiculous.
If you’re dd’ing the car, prolly not so good...
Like others said, visibility is terrible. Interior is gm, nuff said.
If you just want to be the guy with the biggest motor & fastest car around, then choice is clear.
Insurance prob no fun neither.
Rcf isn’t a red light slayer, know that going in.

Last edited by Mingofish; 06-24-18 at 08:29 AM.
Old 06-24-18, 09:34 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

If you care about taking the car to the track a lot then get the Camaro. If you want a great performance daily get the RC-F
Old 06-24-18, 02:18 PM
Xzria
Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
why where you saying V6 engine tone? SS most definitely does not sound like a V6. Was the dual mode exhaust on?

just be warned the 1LE isnt very road friendly. Harsh suspension and stiff bushings. As with all camaros the visibility is terrible. Similar visibility to the viper but the camaro has no reason to have crap visibility when the mustang's is great. But if you really want a camaro best time to get it is now before the horrific 2019 refresh comes out.
No I didn't mean tone, I put that the V6 running around kinda ruin the V8 because the v6 oversaturate the market .So it ruins it for me.
Old 06-24-18, 02:19 PM
Xzria
Driver

Originally Posted by SkyPara82
The performance market is a veritable smorgasbord these days. So many options. That said, Camaro shoppers do not normally cross-shop luxury brands. At the end of the day its a personal choice that you alone must make, for reasons that make sense to you. I had to do the same. I was a bit of an odd duck because I sold my corvette and SRT to get "more civilized performance." I wasn't getting any younger and we were moving into a community of thriving professionals. My plan had been to get the Z06 and modify it like I did my Grand Sport. But then something changed. Performance was important but wasn't my top priority. Things like safety and accident survivability (ever driven in San Antonio...valid concern) and reliability moved up in importance, as did interior. I'll be honest, loved my vette but I ended up dropping thousands of $ to make the interior look the way I felt it should've in the first place. GM is notorious for their interiors as if performance and luxury are completely separate choices. Caddy does better than most GM products.

Again, I'm not going to try to sway you either way -- this is your choice to make. What I will say is that with light performance mods, I've gotten my RC F into the sweet spot where the performance is more than enough for daily driver duties and the occasional smoking of others who think "meh, it's just a Lexus--a sheep in wolf's clothing. Probably only has a V4. I'm gonna flex up on it."
What mods have you done so far?
Old 06-24-18, 02:23 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

I've owned both..

buy the Lexus.
The following users liked this post:
finny76 (06-27-18)
Old 06-24-18, 02:30 PM
Xzria
Driver

Originally Posted by mjeds
I've owned both..

buy the Lexus.
Really? Haha can I ask what made you wanna have the rcf more?
Old 06-24-18, 02:41 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Xzria
Really? Haha can I ask what made you wanna have the rcf more?
for me both were daily drivers, never tracked either, dependability is a key factor.

3 years 36K on the Camaro. 7 trips to dealer, shortest was 19 days, longest was 3 months 4 days for the same issue.

3 years 34K on the RCF. 1 dealer trip other than maintenance, for a sunroof issue, total time in dealer possession was 1 day.

enough said.

the Camaro spent about 1/3 of its life at the dealer for warranty work, the same issue.

the first year they were kind enough give me a loaner, years 2 and 3 it was on me, luckily I had another vehicle, else I would have been on the hook for a rental car for 3 months.
Old 06-24-18, 03:44 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

There are 185 TSB’s issues for the 2017 Camaro, compared to the 2016 RC-F that has 23 TSB’s issued. Think about that.
The following 5 users liked this post by Diesel350:
CinFulxgs (07-19-20), finny76 (06-27-18), HappyDisti (06-26-18), Mingofish (06-26-18), mjeds (06-25-18)

Quick Reply: Lexus rcf or 1le Camaro?