LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Figs engineering possible issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-18, 07:29 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 166 Posts
Default Figs engineering issue

So as you all know I got my camber arms from figs engineering I have less than 1000 miles on them and the ball joints are starting to clunk like they are bad. I have emailed figs 2-3 times and called and left a message but no response. I paid $700 for these arms.

I will keep everyone posted about what happens, super pissed though.

Last edited by 05ls430518; 07-18-18 at 08:15 AM. Reason: There is an actual problem now
Old 06-22-18, 07:34 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Give them a chance, hopefully it will be resolved. I have not purchased from them but they always seemed to be a quality outfit.

I have felt what you are feeling on several eBay purchases, but I must say that it was always resolved in the end. Actually, immediately, with one exception where I did get ripped off. But let's hope that's really the exception. Sometimes the lack of a response can be as simple as someone being out of town or on vacation...
Old 06-22-18, 07:52 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

I have had nothing but positive things to say about figs up until this point like I am just pissed off this is my 3rd-4th transaction with them. Mike seems like a stand up guy I am hoping he just had a family emergency or something and had to close for a couple days and that is why they are not getting back to me.
Old 06-22-18, 08:42 AM
ls430w140
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts

Yeah I have a feeling this company will show up in one of these topics with thorough explanation.

Could you please describe the ball joint installation. Did you notice any signs of factory damage? Did you rotate ball joint before inserting in steering knuckle? Have you noticed that the ball joint couldn't be easily fit in the hole and required some shaking? Did you use hammer? Did you have to manually rotate ball joint in direction other than downwards when installing it in the knuckle? Did you torque bushings in relaxed suspension condition or when the hub was in the air?
Old 06-22-18, 09:47 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ls430w140
Yeah I have a feeling this company will show up in one of these topics with thorough explanation.

Could you please describe the ball joint installation. Did you notice any signs of factory damage? Did you rotate ball joint before inserting in steering knuckle? Have you noticed that the ball joint couldn't be easily fit in the hole and required some shaking? Did you use hammer? Did you have to manually rotate ball joint in direction other than downwards when installing it in the knuckle? Did you torque bushings in relaxed suspension condition or when the hub was in the air?
I put the car on the lift took off the old arms off ones torqued the new ones to factory spec cycled the suspension, put the rims back on drove for a day took the tires back off and double checked everything was still tq'd correctly. The arm fit exactly as stock should, no play in the new joints, everything seemed a-ok in my book during the install.

I did not use air tools of any kind just sockets ratchet and tq wrench my car has 0 rust so everything comes apart with ease. The only time I used a hammer was to remove the old control arms.

Sorry if I did not answer all your questions.
Old 06-22-18, 11:37 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kitabel
he just had a family emergency

That's the difference between a hobby and a business
I dont know if he did have a family emergency I am just saying I hope its something that is causing the lack of communication, instead of me being blatantly ignored....devils advocate kinda deal
Old 06-22-18, 11:52 AM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by kitabel
he just had a family emergency

That's the difference between a hobby and a business
Isn't this a business? I was checking out their website the other day. It does not take a lot of effort to set an automated reply "I have family emergency. I will get back to you asap when I return". I can see why 05ls430518 is getting worried when his emails seemed to be ignored. If I am paying $700, I would be worried too.
Old 06-22-18, 12:20 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Wow so I am screwed there warranty is only 30 days so now I have to buy new balljoints from them for $53-$65 a side.........

They did email me back though but this blows $700 control arms and with less than 1000 miles on them and I have to replace the ball joints allready **** this man. I just got an alignment done that was $140 so now I have to take the arms off again replace the balljoints and get another alignment so $130 for the balljoints $144 for the aligment. So almost $300 I have to spend now on top of my $660 for the control arms.

Last edited by 05ls430518; 06-22-18 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-22-18, 01:31 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

30 days? A weekend warrior could likely only do work on weekends, or every other weekend, burning up 7-10 days of the 30 days with parts just sitting in a box. With you doing < 1000 miles, short of an accident, doesn't seem right imho....

I mean I do see a technique used nowadays, you are issued a software license, and regardless of when you "claim" it, time is already elapsing. I don't understand the logic behind it, but we're talking 7 days out of 3 years are burnt up in transit. The license I am thinking of costs $203, which really only works out to 18.5 cents per day, or about $1.30. With many devices world-wide it does add up, but is small from a % standpoint. Yours is big % wise....
Old 06-22-18, 01:45 PM
Catalina45
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
Wow so I am screwed there warranty is only 30 days so now I have to buy new balljoints from them for $53-$65 a side.........

They did email me back though but this blows $700 control arms and with less than 1000 miles on them and I have to replace the ball joints allready **** this man. I just got an alignment done that was $140 so now I have to take the arms off again replace the balljoints and get another alignment so $130 for the balljoints $144 for the aligment. So almost $300 I have to spend now on top of my $660 for the control arms.
Can you call them up, explain that you are a repeat customer and see if they will accommodate you? It’s not unheard of for a batch of parts to be defective so express this as a concern & offer to send the bad ball joints back after you receive new ones (and hopefully a credit). Email and forums are never good ways to resolve issues like this. Resolve the issue & have the moderators delete this thread. If you were a Figs employee and saw this post, how would you respond?
Old 06-22-18, 02:22 PM
BCT
Advanced

Originally Posted by Catalina45
Can you call them up, explain that you are a repeat customer and see if they will accommodate you? It’s not unheard of for a batch of parts to be defective so express this as a concern & offer to send the bad ball joints back after you receive new ones (and hopefully a credit). Email and forums are never good ways to resolve issues like this. Resolve the issue & have the moderators delete this thread. If you were a Figs employee and saw this post, how would you respond?
Obviously this is not up to me, but I would rather this thread is not deleted. I am a potential buyer of their product, and I am interested to know how this get resolved (or not).

If you were a Figs employee and saw this post, how would you respond?
@Catalina45 I am not sure I understand. If someone from Figs saw this post, they can reply privately to OP or on the thread here.
Old 06-22-18, 03:47 PM
Catalina45
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by BCT
Obviously this is not up to me, but I would rather this thread is not deleted. I am a potential buyer of their product, and I am interested to know how this get resolved (or not).

If you were a Figs employee and saw this post, how would you respond?
@Catalina45 I am not sure I understand. If someone from Figs saw this post, they can reply privately to OP or on the thread here.
As a Club Lexus vendor Figs has a good reputation. Although I have no affiliation with them l, but having worked in aftermarket media with small to large vendors this scenario (customer service complaint on a forum they spend money on to advertise) is a top 5 issue. Their business reputation is at stake and for small vendors it could be devestating. If customer service replied via email and had a phone number for the OP then the owner has two problems (employee & customer). All of this is best handled offline. If a vendor repeatedly has poor customer service then it should be aired on a forum. The OP should consider exercising more restraint; he’s not a repeat customer by happenstance.
Old 06-22-18, 04:45 PM
BCT
Advanced

Originally Posted by Catalina45
As a Club Lexus vendor Figs has a good reputation. Although I have no affiliation with them l, but having worked in aftermarket media with small to large vendors this scenario (customer service complaint on a forum they spend money on to advertise) is a top 5 issue. Their business reputation is at stake and for small vendors it could be devestating. If customer service replied via email and had a phone number for the OP then the owner has two problems (employee & customer). All of this is best handled offline. If a vendor repeatedly has poor customer service then it should be aired on a forum. The OP should consider exercising more restraint; he’s not a repeat customer by happenstance.
I totally agree with what you said. I checked out Figs website because they have good reputation here. I am all for supporting vendors who sponsor forum that I frequently visit. I think that is what keep the wheels turning.

OP has purchased several time from Figs, which to me, counts as repeat customer. I think OP has said he emailed several times and left vm before posting here, imho that is enough restraint. I do not want to hijack this thread any further. I think we just going to have to agree to disagree here.
Old 06-22-18, 05:44 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

Hi James, sorry we did not mean to give the impression we were ignoring you. We are just 3 people trying to get the most done possible and when issues arise we take everything into account. I think when Matt responded about the cost of replacements, he was just giving a standard response, not taking into account the circumstances. We will work you issue via email and get to a resolution. The first thing we do in cases like this is to properly diagnose the issue the best we can. You can understand that we see a lot of issues and most of them can be worked through via troubleshooting without sending a slew of replacement parts. We will resolve this and you can post up the results here. Thanks and sorry for the limbo. Mike

UPDATE: Just to frame out the complaint, you contacted us via email on the 18th and we have responded on the 22nd, which is longer than typical. I am usually online answered emails until midnight typically, but I have been beat the last 2 weeks with production welding and machining during the day.
The issue you have identified is a noise in the upper rod end which is rubber booted. There is no play in the joint, just noise while it is articulating.
The remedy we are suggesting is cleaning the joint as something (even possibly the rubber from the boot) is present in between the bearing interface. The cleaning remedy we typically use is brake parts cleaner.
Once clean, we are suggesting a dry PTFE lubrication through the boot and joint. This is compatible with the nylon liner in the joint. If a wet or viscous lubricant (like grease) is used, it can hydraulic the liner out of place and cause play in the joint.
After you perform these steps, you will follow up with us to take further steps.

Again, I am sorry it took so long to get back to you with a response and we will strive to perform better in the future. We never run from problems as we find they are critical to our goal of constant improvement and given proper information, they arm us with keys to solving future issues. Thank you,
Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions

Last edited by FIGS; 06-22-18 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-22-18, 05:59 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mike always comes through.

Quick Reply: Figs engineering possible issue