SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

new SC430 owner, several issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-18, 06:56 AM
canucklehe
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new SC430 owner, several issues

I'd love to say "proud" new owner but frazzled would be better. I bought 2002 SC430 yesterday with 106K miles. Turns out to have more issues than I originally anticipated and hoping you can help me....PLEASE! ( And THANK YOU!!)

1) No AC. The AC light flashes. I tried to plug R134a add-coolant gauge tool into the low pressure line to see if any coolant needed but reading seemed high so i just stopped there.
2) I know i need new tires and rims. My TPMS light is on. IF I buy aftermarket with sensors and the tire/wheel size is different, can they get set up to work with my car? OR...maybe just disable the TPMS altogether? Does the tire shop set up TPMS or does this have to be done at a dealer?
3) Not looking to change anything too radical in wheel/tires. What sizes are close to stock/OEM, especially in the off set department?
4) The "VSC" light is on for both "VSC" and "VSC OFF". I keep pushing the VSC button and it doesn't change it.
5) One of my injector wire connectors had lost tension so i was getting a sporadic miss. Where can i find a new injector wire connector.? For that matter, is there a good OEM parts Lexus dealer everyone deals with online?
6) Front struts leak. Are there quick struts available for these? Preferred brand? (I'm cheap but practical at same time).
7) Brakes. I've read on other forums that some of the complete ebay sets that come with slotted/cross drillled rotors and ceramic pads are actually decent quality despite cheap price. Probably not keeping car long term.
8) Spare key. I see on ebay many sellers with transponder blanks. I would then need to get laser cut. I have also read you can program key yourself. Anyone have any expereince with this and recommend a brand of key to get?
9) Anyone ever touch/change their diff oil?
10) Are these timing chain or timing belt?

thanks very much for any help you can offer.
Old 06-21-18, 08:41 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by canucklehe
I'd love to say "proud" new owner but frazzled would be better. I bought 2002 SC430 yesterday with 106K miles. Turns out to have more issues than I originally anticipated and hoping you can help me....PLEASE! ( And THANK YOU!!)

1) No AC. The AC light flashes. I tried to plug R134a add-coolant gauge tool into the low pressure line to see if any coolant needed but reading seemed high so i just stopped there.
2) I know i need new tires and rims. My TPMS light is on. IF I buy aftermarket with sensors and the tire/wheel size is different, can they get set up to work with my car? OR...maybe just disable the TPMS altogether? Does the tire shop set up TPMS or does this have to be done at a dealer?
3) Not looking to change anything too radical in wheel/tires. What sizes are close to stock/OEM, especially in the off set department?
4) The "VSC" light is on for both "VSC" and "VSC OFF". I keep pushing the VSC button and it doesn't change it.
5) One of my injector wire connectors had lost tension so i was getting a sporadic miss. Where can i find a new injector wire connector.? For that matter, is there a good OEM parts Lexus dealer everyone deals with online?
6) Front struts leak. Are there quick struts available for these? Preferred brand? (I'm cheap but practical at same time).
7) Brakes. I've read on other forums that some of the complete ebay sets that come with slotted/cross drillled rotors and ceramic pads are actually decent quality despite cheap price. Probably not keeping car long term.
8) Spare key. I see on ebay many sellers with transponder blanks. I would then need to get laser cut. I have also read you can program key yourself. Anyone have any expereince with this and recommend a brand of key to get?

i am not being disrespectful when I say, do a search...all of the answers to your questions have been answered with great detail including pictures.

if you turn wrenches, most are simple fixes...$1,000 at the most.
Lexus, $5k

Last edited by Bgw70; 06-21-18 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-21-18, 10:17 AM
maarp
Pole Position

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

A couple hundred bucks for a Lexus dealer PPI sure seems like money well spent. I was fortunate enough to have zero issues, but had anything like the OPs problems been found, I would have run away, not walked.
Old 06-21-18, 10:49 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by canucklehe

2) The tire sensors have to be the Lexus sensors made for this car to work with the TPSM in the SC430.
4) Probably worth getting a TechStream to read the codes being generated that the VSC light is indicating or take it somewhere to be read.
6) There is a thread this week with a link that Daryl sent out for key replacements.
9) Yes, folks do change their differential oil, though not all.
10) Timing belt, original 2002 manuals indicate that it should be changed at 60K miles or 6 years. Later ones indicate 90k miles and I think 9 years (I'm not sure on the timing for the newer ones). The expectation is that the earlier figures were overly cautious and the newer figures came from experience. Definitely recommended if the timing belt is older than the newer figures.

Congratulations on your acquisition. Hang in there, we will help you get it in tip top shape. (You may wind up changing your mind about this being a short term ownership.)
Old 06-21-18, 11:31 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

It may not be as bad as you think. Like Bgw70 said do a search there are threads to fix the TPMS and the VSC / VSC OFF lights. Here's one:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ff-lights.html

Do one thing at a time (the right way) with OEM parts. Don't cut corners. Also, go out to LexusDrivers and register the vehicle to see if the timing belt was changed by the dealer.
Old 06-21-18, 12:16 PM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I'll comment on brakes and struts:

Have been a happy user of Akebono ceramic pads on R1 Concepts premium rotors. Previously, using posi quiet ceramics on OEM rotors resulted in warpage. Think posi quiets generate too much heat.

Replaced both front shocks last year. KYB is who produces the shocks for Toyota. Box said Toyota genuine parts, sticker on the absorber said KYB.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-22-18, 06:44 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

As far as on-line stores, South Atlanta Lexus and mylparts.com are good
Old 06-25-18, 06:51 AM
canucklehe
Pole Position

thanks for the help everybody.

I have done some research on AC and the AC relay seems to be a common failure. It is a cheap way to at least start the process before i spend $$ on going deeper. I think my OEM PN is 90987-02022 (at least i see that number on one of the relays i found in the under hood fuse panel). . I also see references to a relay with PN 90987-02028, which may be an upgraded relay. Anyone have any idea or experience on this?

Where is the relay located in the fuse panel under the hood? Unfortunately, the fuse diagrams don't list or describe the relays so i can't tell. Does anyone have a pic they could share of the actual AC relay location?
Old 06-25-18, 08:13 AM
canucklehe
Pole Position

if this helps anyone... I found this topic on swapping relays. I tried swapping and horn still works, no AC, so i think it's not the relay. I will take to my mechanic friend to see if it's compressor. i tried to hook up my recharge kit with gauge but it was showing high pressure so i didn't go any further. AC light is still blinking and no cold air.

here is link: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...tic-relay.html