IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Replace front OEM Bridgestone RE-050A tires with something else?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-18, 04:12 PM
sellme
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace front OEM Bridgestone RE-050A tires with something else?

I need to replace my front tires because I have the notorious inner wear. I didn't realize how bad it was until recently; the inner section has split open, exposing the belts. The rear tires are fine and probably will last me to end of 2019.

I've read a few threads about the different brands and have narrowed it down to the following. (FYI: I value comfort, noise, and dry performance, in that order. I've only driven in snow twice (0.5 inches only), so all-seasons don't really make sense, unless they will give me long tread life. In fact, I've only driven in the rain less than 20 times)
  1. Replace the fronts only with the OEM tires
  2. Replace the fronts only with either Bridgestone S-04 or Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (next generation PSS) in preparation of replacing the rears with the same. Bridgestones are about 20% cheaper, so that's why I'm considering them.
  3. Replace all four with all-season Continental DWS-06 because they're cheap and may be my fronts won't wear out so quickly. I've read many complaints about the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+, especially with the noise.
  4. Replace all four with S-04 or Pilot Sport 4S.
I'm leaning towards the Michelin's because of their 30-day satisfaction guarantee. (If I take advantage of the guarantee, would I have to buy it and get it installed at the same place so that I don't have to ship it back to Tire Rack or place of purchase?)

What do you think? TIA for any feedback or guidance.

Last edited by sellme; 06-20-18 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-20-18, 05:20 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Michelin PS4S. I've stuck with the Pilot Sport since the first generation and never had an issue from PS, PS2, PSS, and PS4S. Good balance overall if factoring in comfort vs performance vs price. Wet weather in SCAL aren't downpours, thus the tires all managed well despite being marketed as a "summer performance tire." They do get noisy once past 5/32, but that's with any tire.

Front inner tire wear is addressed by either RR racing/Figs lower control arm bushings and a zero toe alignment. Would suggest to get this done or the new tires will wear out before the 30k warranty.
Old 06-20-18, 05:26 PM
sellme
Driver School Candidate

^^^^ Thank you for your input. I've read a lot of complaints about still getting inner tire wear with the FIGS and RR Racing, so I've decided not to do it. Plus, with installation, it'll run $500.

Also, would it be better to run a little toe-in to offset the car's dynamic toe-out when braking?
Old 06-20-18, 07:57 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,947 Likes on 1,371 Posts

S-04s for me:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-position.html

I'm still running them on my RCF wheels, only 255/35 in front and 295/30 in back. I am running RRRacing's USRS LCA Bushings. Wear is pretty even.

And, do all four

Lou
Old 06-20-18, 08:15 PM
AndrewISF
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

I know these weren't one of your choices but if you're looking for a good bang for your buck tire I would also consider the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. I've had them on for 16 months, 9k miles, 3 road course days and hundreds of passes down the drag strip. They are comfortable and pretty quiet. They've performed decently well and taking them on the same canyon roads I took my car on with Michelin PSS I don't notice much of a difference. I can't commit on comparing them on track. Now, here's the part that will grab your attention, you can get a full set 255/35/19 Front and 285/30/19 Rears for $655 at TireRack.com. I also believe they have a $50 rebate currently as well. If you want a set in the 255//275 size you can get that for $610(plus a $50 rebate), about 1/2 the price of the Michelin PS4S tire set. I'm not discrediting the Michelin's as I'm sure they're as good as everyone says they are but when you can get two full sets of tires for the price of one I've at least gotta let you know about it.
Old 06-20-18, 08:46 PM
Helo58
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewISF
I know these weren't one of your choices but if you're looking for a good bang for your buck tire I would also consider the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. I've had them on for 16 months, 9k miles, 3 road course days and hundreds of passes down the drag strip. They are comfortable and pretty quiet. They've performed decently well and taking them on the same canyon roads I took my car on with Michelin PSS I don't notice much of a difference. I can't commit on comparing them on track. Now, here's the part that will grab your attention, you can get a full set 255/35/19 Front and 285/30/19 Rears for $655 at TireRack.com. I also believe they have a $50 rebate currently as well. If you want a set in the 255//275 size you can get that for $610(plus a $50 rebate), about 1/2 the price of the Michelin PS4S tire set. I'm not discrediting the Michelin's as I'm sure they're as good as everyone says they are but when you can get two full sets of tires for the price of one I've at least gotta let you know about it.
I second this. The Firestone tires perform well, are quiet, and wear even with proper alignment. My experience with the Michelins is that they got greasy and lost grip when pushed. The S-04 is what I switched to after the Michelins and from there I went to the Indy 500. After going through rears every 8-10k miles, I could not pass up the HUGE savings in cost over the Michelins and Bridgestones by switching to the Firestones. For what it is worth, I believe that I read on the forum here that the Indy 500 is sold elsewhere under the Bridgestone name. Give the Indy 500s a shot, for the money there is not a lot to lose.
Old 06-20-18, 09:00 PM
AndrewISF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Helo58
I second this. The Firestone tires perform well, are quiet, and wear even with proper alignment. My experience with the Michelins is that they got greasy and lost grip when pushed. The S-04 is what I switched to after the Michelins and from there I went to the Indy 500. After going through rears every 8-10k miles, I could not pass up the HUGE savings in cost over the Michelins and Bridgestones by switching to the Firestones. For what it is worth, I believe that I read on the forum here that the Indy 500 is sold elsewhere under the Bridgestone name. Give the Indy 500s a shot, for the money there is not a lot to lose.
To add to this, I do have the RR-Racing USRS on my car which helps combat the inner tire wear and I've had even wear on my front tires. You're right regarding the re-branding, the Indy 500s are Bridgestone RE003 tires in the Asian market which has great reviews. Someone I know that works for Bridgestone told me they rebranded the Indy 500 under the Firestone name as to not compete with the Bridgestone tires in the US and if it were sold under the Bridgestone name it would not be as cheap as it is.
Old 06-21-18, 06:18 AM
sellme
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by flowrider
S-04s for me:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-position.html

I'm still running them on my RCF wheels, only 255/35 in front and 295/30 in back. I am running RRRacing's USRS LCA Bushings. Wear is pretty even.

And, do all four

Lou
Thank you for your input. It looks like I'll do all four.
Old 06-21-18, 06:22 AM
sellme
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for letting me know!!! I had not known about these Firestones. I will look into it. Perhaps I can go to the Firestone auto shop to get them installed? Or is that a bad idea? I prefer to go to a smaller shop.

Last edited by sellme; 06-21-18 at 06:30 AM.
Old 06-21-18, 06:29 AM
sellme
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Helo58
Looks like another recommendation for the Firestones.

I just checked tire rack and they go for less than $500 for all four tires (OEM size). But they're on back order. Bummer.

Last edited by sellme; 06-21-18 at 10:09 AM.
Old 06-21-18, 06:33 AM
NSXGuy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another endorsement for the Figs or RR racing front lower control arm bushings and a zero toe alignment. I got 14,000 miles on the prior front tires before I could see the belts on the inner tire. After putting the Figs bushings on and zero toe alignment, I'm up to 34,000 miles on the current set of front tires. Best mod I've ever done!
Old 06-22-18, 01:25 PM
sellme
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NSXGuy
Another endorsement for the Figs or RR racing front lower control arm bushings and a zero toe alignment. I got 14,000 miles on the prior front tires before I could see the belts on the inner tire. After putting the Figs bushings on and zero toe alignment, I'm up to 34,000 miles on the current set of front tires. Best mod I've ever done!
Thanks. I think I may have to reconsider it. But it will cost me more than $500. That's four new Firestone tires.
Old 06-22-18, 01:28 PM
sellme
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NSXGuy
Originally Posted by sellme
Looks like another recommendation for the Firestones.

I just checked tire rack and they go for less than $500 for all four tires (OEM size). But they're on back order. Bummer.
A local Firestone shop has the fronts but not the rears, and they don't know when those will come in. Would it be okay to only replace the fronts with the Firehawks and wait for the rears in a few months? Or, do I just get the Bridgestone S-04 for all four?
Old 06-22-18, 01:40 PM
AndrewISF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sellme
Thanks. I think I may have to reconsider it. But it will cost me more than $500. That's four new Firestone tires.
Or you get the USRS installed and 4 Firehawks for the price of the other two sets you were considering before learning about the Firehawks. Boom, double win!
Old 06-23-18, 05:37 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Or you get the USRS installed and 4 Firehawks for the price of the other two sets you were considering before learning about the Firehawks. Boom, double win!
Firehawks here as well, best tire for the money.

Quick Reply: Replace front OEM Bridgestone RE-050A tires with something else?