LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Add another data point to air suspension longevity...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-18, 09:47 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Add another data point to air suspension longevity...

The LR on my '08 L has had it. It started making thumping noises a few weeks ago, and now the sound is accompanied by the feel of the suspension bottoming out.

This isn't over a hole at 80 MPH, either, it's turning into a parking lot with a small 'lip' in the pavement.

Looks like I get to see if Arnott's rear struts match well with the performance suspension computer's settings. Oh, and so much for $1,700 I didn't have burning a hole in my pocket.

Don't know if the damper is leaking or not, but it's definitely not right on either 'normal' or 'comfort'. The rear magnetorheological dampers on the '05 Cadillac STS I had before Silvia lasted about 106K miles, so at 120K, I'm able to accept they're just worn out.

I do wonder, however, why rear dampers wear out/fail before front ones. Less mass to control, you'd think they'd last longer than the fronts.

Hmmmm, come to think of it, if anyone has Arnott's on an air system, can you tell me if it feels similar to OEM throughout the adjustment range? Thanks!
Old 06-16-18, 02:21 PM
Gillz460L
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey mckellyb ! Your right on the rear struts....they do fail first. My right rear had bit the dust around 90k on my 07 L. Now i will say Lexus has used a very high quality air spring in these struts. My strut was leaking oil...thus the annoying thumping noise. I have used arnott products on both my lincoln town car ...and Mbz S500 with airmatic. Very pleased with there build qaulity and top notch service! They just came out with a rear air strut replacement as a new product...for the longest time it was just the front stuts. To answer your question i think the struts will dampen and perform just like OE if not better. If you have any concerns email or call arnott. They are pretty helpful. I have a warranty so my strut was covered at lexus. Keep us posted! Btw =(...i still havent been able to set up my fakestream...after your suspension debacle maybe you could help me ???
The following users liked this post:
mckellyb (06-16-18)
Old 06-17-18, 03:48 PM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Dang, I'm 14K away so I guess I should start planning for it in the next year or so. Definitely following this thread
To get you by... Have you thought about trying to replicate the "rock solid suspension" issue?
Old 06-18-18, 02:10 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Not yet, but I am using 'normal' and 'sport' more.
Old 07-05-18, 05:25 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Aaaaannnd, it's getting worse quickly enough, there's no way I can bide time until it gets cooler.

As a result, I ordered up a pair of rear Arnott struts, yesterday. About $1,300.

Ouch.

Though...there is a possibility of damaging other items by letting this go longer, so...
Old 07-05-18, 07:55 AM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm knocking on wood and know my time is coming ... but I'm still going strong on my air suspension on my 07 L with 150k on it. Looking forward to hearing your experience with the Arnott's.
Old 07-05-18, 08:09 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mckellyb
Aaaaannnd, it's getting worse quickly enough, there's no way I can bide time until it gets cooler.

As a result, I ordered up a pair of rear Arnott struts, yesterday. About $1,300.

Ouch.

Though...there is a possibility of damaging other items by letting this go longer, so...
That sucks, I just went on parts geek, $726 for one Arnott air suspension strut vs $104 for 1 KYB non air strut, you could buy all 4 coilover non air for a good deal less then just 1 air suspension strut.

If I had air suspension I would definitely just be switching to decent coil overs even if the ride is not as good.
Old 07-07-18, 02:12 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

The air ride is magical enough, for me, that I wanted to keep it.

Plus, I do use the 'height high' bit so my crippled self can get in/out more easily. It's not a whole lot of change, no, but it's quite helpful in my case.

Beware of the really fun hobbies...those are the ones which can kill you.
Old 07-07-18, 05:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
That sucks, I just went on parts geek, $726 for one Arnott air suspension strut vs $104 for 1 KYB non air strut, you could buy all 4 coilover non air for a good deal less then just 1 air suspension strut.

If I had air suspension I would definitely just be switching to decent coil overs even if the ride is not as good.
Air struts are better and they cost more. Better things cost more.

Having had both suspensions I will happily pay more to replace the air struts with air struts when/if the time comes.
The following users liked this post:
mckellyb (08-10-18)
Old 07-07-18, 10:54 AM
Gillz460L
Rookie

i agree having air is a total game changer. I know some dont care for it but i believe you should keep it if the car came with it. Mckellyb i cant wait for diy !! Good luck on the project.
Old 07-11-18, 04:52 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gillz460L
i agree having air is a total game changer. I know some dont care for it but i believe you should keep it if the car came with it. Mckellyb i cant wait for diy !! Good luck on the project.
There's a manufacturer's delay of about a month. They said I'll have them sometime mid-August.

I hope so, because I'm on 'sport' all the time, and it's getting old.
Old 08-04-18, 08:03 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

New struts arrived, yesterday, about 2 weeks early.

I'll have them in by Tuesday afternoon. They're almost artwork, with how cleanly they're constructed.
Old 08-05-18, 04:49 PM
Gillz460L
Rookie

Hey thats awesome! Cant wait for a diy from you ...goodluck! Have used arnott for my lincolns and s class in the past...great product and company...cant go wrong.
Old 08-05-18, 05:50 PM
462HO
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have used Arnott's in a MB S500 with pretty good success. They rode the same as the stock air struts.

One of them did fail after about 5 years, and Arnott gladly sent me a replacement at no charge, as they have a lifetime warranty.

Good luck with yours.
Old 08-05-18, 08:02 PM
My3Boyz
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bouncing, now front losing air

Originally Posted by 462HO
I have used Arnott's in a MB S500 with pretty good success. They rode the same as the stock air struts.

One of them did fail after about 5 years, and Arnott gladly sent me a replacement at no charge, as they have a lifetime warranty.

Good luck with yours.
My 09LS is my dream car!! Now after a year I'm having suspension issues. I first heard the thumping in the passenger rear, now my front driver side is losing air. Sometimes when I start it it lifts up and holds while driving. When I park, I can hear the air coming out!! I'm not a diy guy, however if there is any ideas out there that would be helpful. I called the Lexus dealer and they want 200.00 to diagnose it....
Any assistance????

Quick Reply: Add another data point to air suspension longevity...