Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

5-10mph over or go the speed limit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-18, 09:42 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 5-10mph over or go the speed limit?

I maintain the speed limit at all time. Give me a good reason why you shouldn't also.
Old 06-15-18, 02:32 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Quick, get this man a cookie.
Old 06-15-18, 03:26 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

I drive in a manner that is safe for myself, my vehicle, and those around me; while simultaneously unlikely to draw the attention of law enforcement. Speed limits are set for the lowest common denominator. My car's brakes and tires are dramatically better than average (Six piston calipers and aggressive pads over large slotted/drilled rotors; Pilot SuperSport tires), and I'm an above-average driver like everyone else .

Not only have I not had a speeding ticket or at-fault accident since my teenage years (well over half a million miles ago), I've not had an accident that occurred while my vehicle has been in motion in that entire time. For nearly half of the incidents, my vehicle has been empty.
Old 06-15-18, 03:46 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 400 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by theory816
I maintain the speed limit at all time. Give me a good reason why you shouldn't also.
I don't mind you going exactly the speed limit, I just hope you are in any lane other than the left lane - especially on a highway. If you're in the left lane going the speed limit, you're making the road more dangerous for everyone else.
Old 06-15-18, 05:48 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

We were just in MD/DC/VA. I actually attempt to go no more than 4 mph over there. I found that my behavior irritated many people--I don't like to do that, and it's not intentional, but I don't want any speed cam tix.

What I perceive is that people in MD are fully confident in the system, meaning you can travel 11 mph over and not get the ticket. So I see people going through photo controlled areas easily 5+ mph over, and they know where they are, I don't, so they do speed through an area until they reach the actual cam if fixed. I thought I had seen a mobile setup (maybe I mistook it) on the front of a SUV? On I-95S.

Where I live, there are no speed cams. I confidently drive 9 mph over, sometimes more. And it is adjusted, usually not 9 mph over if it's 25, then, maybe 4.

I try to use judgement. If everybody is going 80-85 mph, I tend to start going a bit faster myself. One thing I never do and take literally, is the speed limit in a school zone, and school bus red lights.

My need to drive 155 mph has been non-existent for many years. I was once cited for 157 in a 55 and I was a different person at that time. We all are given breaks and my last one was 52 in a 25. Utter carelessness and my father in-law pressuring me (airport/flight related). Cop gave me a huge break and ever since then I've been much better. That could have been 5 points and massive fine.
Old 06-15-18, 05:59 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
I drive in a manner that is safe for myself, my vehicle, and those around me; while simultaneously unlikely to draw the attention of law enforcement. Speed limits are set for the lowest common denominator. My car's brakes and tires are dramatically better than average (Six piston calipers and aggressive pads over large slotted/drilled rotors; Pilot SuperSport tires), and I'm an above-average driver like everyone else .

Not only have I not had a speeding ticket or at-fault accident since my teenage years (well over half a million miles ago), I've not had an accident that occurred while my vehicle has been in motion in that entire time. For nearly half of the incidents, my vehicle has been empty.
Fully agree and same here regarding tickets and at-fault accidents (I've been rear-ended a couple times )

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I don't mind you going exactly the speed limit, I just hope you are in any lane other than the left lane - especially on a highway. If you're in the left lane going the speed limit, you're making the road more dangerous for everyone else.
100% agree and the annoyance there of course is the fact that it slows down traffic but the bigger concern I have is the fact that the driver is either purposely doing it or totally oblivious to his/her surrounding. This raises a concern on safety and competence of that driver because driving is about paying attention to your entire 360 degrees of surroundings at every moment, not just ahead. Keep right, pass left.

So to respond directly to the OP, I do drive 5-10 mph over depending on if it is safe to do. In a school zone, I don't go over the speed limit. On a major boulevard or highway, yes and it's in following traffic.
Old 06-15-18, 06:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Good golly. 157 in a 55 zone. Good thing you weren't in Virginia where I live. Virginia doesn't have speed cameras like across the river in Maryland, but the use of radar detectors is strictly outlawed (State Police have detector-detectors that signal when they are in use, and can legally impound them). Like some other states, 20 MPH or more or over the posted limit in Virginia can add a Reckless-Driving charge, which is very serious. You could have wound up in jail....though not likely on the first offense.

Oh, and BTW, you are correct...the Maryland speed cameras are generally set for 10-11 MPH over the official posted limit. That's to account for the effect of downhill slopes, speedometer error in the vehicles from the factory or from aftermarket wheels/tires affecting the readings, or other factors beyond the driver's control. Modern vehicles get their speedometer/odometer readings from wheel-rotation sensors, not from a cable to the transmission like in the old days, so larger-than-standard wheels/tires, which rotate slower for any given road speed, can give a too-low reading.

Having said that, though, I'm glad you came to your senses. I'm not necessarily throwing stones....I firmly believe that everyone is entitled to one big mistake behind the wheel (I never was a big speeder myself, but once got into other trouble on snow and ice). But the main goal is that one learns from it, and doesn't repeat it.

As to the original question, most of the time I stay within about 5 MPH or so of the posted limit, and drive in the center or right lane unless I'm slowing down to turn left or coming up on a left-hand exit ramp off the Interstate. I let the speed-freaks go past me in the left lane if they want. If I'm in the center or right lane, though, and these bozos want to speed in those lanes, and get irked that I'm not going faster, that's too bad...it's on them, not me.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-15-18 at 10:09 AM.
Old 06-15-18, 06:17 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Good golly. 157 in a 55 zone. Good thing you weren't in Virginia where I live. Virginia doesn't have speed cameras like across the river in Maryland, but the use of radar detectors is strictly outlawed (State Police have detector-detectors that signal when they are in use, and can legally impound them). Like some other states, 20 MPH or more or over the posted limit in Virginia can add a Reckless-Driving charge, which is very serious. You could have wound up in jail....though not likely on the first offense.

Oh, and BTW, you are correct...the Maryland speed cameras are generally set for 10-11 MPH over the official posted limit. That's to account for the effect of downhill slopes, speedometer error in the vehicles from the factory or from aftermarket wheels/tires affecting the readings, or other factors beyond the driver's control. Modern vehicles get their speedometer/odometer readings from wheel-rotation sensors, not from a cable to the transmission like in the old days, so larger-than-standard wheels/tires, which rotate slower for any given road speed, can give a too-low reading.

Having said that, though, I'm glad you came to your senses. I'm not necessarily throwing stones....I firmly believe that everyone is entitled to one big mistake behind the wheel (I never was a big speeder myself, but once got into other trouble on snow and ice). But the main goal is that one learns from it, and doesn't repeat it.
I would like to think that coming to one's senses happens normally lol Sometimes it doesn't, but normally it does as one "matures." I did 157 when I was 19. Why? I had a richey rich friend egging me on, not to mention I was invincible. I got a lesson on the capabilities of the NYSP, whirlybirds, and jail. I can assure you none of that meant anything and I continued my ways until daddy took the Porsche away (expression, I sold it).

Years ago I saw a student getting onto 476N from Villanova, in a Ferrari California. I attempted to keep up (not even close) and I saw my speedo was 125 mph (likely I was at 120). This was in the 335i, and once again, a slip. I was impressed how I didn't feel any of it at all, the car beckoned for much more but I backed it down right away.

My last slip up was the 52 in a 25 but again it was related to the airport and my father in-law, no excuses, but the cop was extremely nice so it is water under the bridge. I felt that was the latest reminder and break in life that I got.

Again, having followed the speed limit all last weekend from MD through DC and VA, I do feel it's too slow, as did everyone around me. So 9 mph over is safe on the highway, and maybe 4 mph anywhere else except school zones....
Old 06-15-18, 07:01 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kitabel
People speed for the same reason they use a cell phone: they're more important than you are.
Totally disagree. There's not just a single reason that anyone can come up with as to why someone would be "speeding" - which by definition is going 1mph or more above the posted limit. And people who use a cell phone while driving aren't doing so because they're "more important" than anyone else (I don't even understand that comment). They're doing it because we live in a world where you're always connected and you can now be productive in a car, on a train, and even on an airplane where you can send emails, etc. via wifi. I'm on work calls in my car probably 75% of the time I'm driving. It's not because I am more important. It's because if I didn't, I'd probably only work about 3 hours in a given day. It's not realistic to schedule calls only when you're stationary in an office. The world has changed. And people have been using cell phones while driving since the "phone in a bag" days back in the 1980's.
Old 06-15-18, 07:05 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

As to the original question, most of the time I stay within about 5 MPH or so of the posted limit, and drive in the center or right lane unless I'm slowing down to turn left or coming up on a left-hand exit ramp off the Interstate. I let the speed-freaks go past me in the left lane if they want. If I'm in the center or right lane, though, and these bozos want to speed in those lanes, and get irked that I'm not going faster, that's too bad...they can kiss my ***.
Most of the good detectors these days have stealth and can negate the detector detector. Most laser jammers are usually hidden and can't be found unless a thorough inspection is done. I've been learning on the detector forums and a lot of those enthusiasts have some great setups.
Old 06-15-18, 07:09 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,897 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Originally Posted by theory816
Say, is "816" your area code?

If so, have I got stuck behind you in KCMO before?
Old 06-15-18, 07:36 AM
scooky
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

There is a good chance, if your speedometer says you are doing 2-3 over, that you likely aren't actually speeding. Many(most?) speedometers read a little over. Motorcycles can read significantly over. My first motorcycle read almost 5mph over on highways when compared with my GPS and the road radar signs.

However, I don't think that's what you are really asking about.
And I'd rather not try to convince you that you should speed up. If you don't want to, then don't. I'm good with that. I will share why I do, feel free to take it or leave it.

While I don't have any speeding tickets ever, and no at fault accidents ever, and I'm no spring chicken, I do tend to go 5-10 over. Why?
1. Honesty, I like it. Especially on the motorcycle in the corners. Note: I'm not a crotch rocket kamikaze throwing myself into corners with no chance of surviving if there's something just around the bend. But, a little extra g forces and quick lean shifts are invigorating. Car feels a little alive too.
2. It's the norm around here. (at least where I've lived). It's hard to watch cars constantly going by on the left, all day every day, without asking why I'm not doing it too. Around here, say 3 lanes, if you are in the right or middle lane, you will likely end up behind someone doing 10 under. You can't just set the cruise and go for hours blissfully. So you get in the habit of moving left to get around anyways.
3. At times, it doesn't feel safe. I tried doing the speed limit for a while as an experiment. I stayed in the far right lane etc. People went out of there way to cut me off, throw hand gestures, pass in unsafe unmarked passing zones, etc. While they were being dumb and unsafe, it was putting me at risk as well. Plus somewhat emotionally difficult at times. Having said that, I've also been passed in unsafe zones when doing 5 over, so some people are just dangerous to be around.

Your region will vary.
My understanding is parts of Europe, and sounds like US too have tons of speed cameras. I would imagine in those areas people (including myself) would drive differently. I think some cars or GPS even have features to gong or slow the car down if it's going too fast to avoid possible tickets.

I'm curious what is going to happen as more self driving/assisted driving vehicles are on the road. I'm curious if they will be going over, or if they will be pegged at the speed limit. At some point, once there are enough of them, that will likely become the new norm.

wrt people feeling more important than they others. I think this goes both ways. (lots of different ways on the road). If the norm is +5, and someone is imposing their -3 on everyone around them with a line of cars behind. Who thinks they are more important?
Around here, this is a pretty big issue with merging. People willfully break the law to prevent others from driving lawfully. Really bad at zipper merges. The state has pleaded with people to do it right and use the road as designed. It will be more efficient for everyone.
Old 06-15-18, 07:45 AM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
+ 100. They need to post this on those digital road signs instead of the "Dont drink and drive" messages.

to the OP, you dont speed even if you are late to get somewhere? We live in a busy world, and I grew up and live in San Francisco with the bustle and hustle. It is who I am by nature, I cannot stand inefficiencies. By not driving as fast as traffic, or filling up the space between you and the car in front, you are creating inefficiencies in society. I think most people tend to drive over the speed limit. So by driving the speed limit and being slower than almost everyone else, you are also causing people to brake for no reason other than you blocking them. This not only adds to car wear, but also increases CO2 since we cannot coast and will likely have to re-accelerate again. Thus, slow drivers are causing global warming.

In all seriousness, the main problem is that slow drivers dont realize they are blocking the path of others. They tend to be new, inexperienced, or bad drivers who dont monitor the road 360 degrees like everyone else. I realize this is a blanket statement, but I also think it tends to be true. As long as they cut over or stay to the right, generally it's fine.

Last edited by RXSF; 06-15-18 at 07:49 AM.
Old 06-15-18, 07:49 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by scooky
wrt people feeling more important than they others. I think this goes both ways. (lots of different ways on the road). If the norm is +5, and someone is imposing their -3 on everyone around them with a line of cars behind. Who thinks they are more important?
Excellent point. Why can someone who's driving the speed limit or just under the speed limit be excused for being "unaware" and someone going slightly above the speed limit not be excused for the same reason? Why does the negative have to fall on the person speeding?
Old 06-15-18, 08:38 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

I tend to just roll with the flow of traffic, whether that be 5-10 over, at the speed limit, or a bit under. I feel it most safe to not impede others and to minimize my lane changes.

Edit: I should note the above is what I do on the freeway. Around town I tend to stick much closer to the speed limits, with a max of about 5 over, depending on traffic and conditions.

Quick Reply: 5-10mph over or go the speed limit?