Thinking about a GX

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-18, 11:14 AM
php
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thinking about a GX

Hi all,

Relatively new member here. I'm looking into buying a SUV to become my new practical and daily driver. I've been doing research and comparisons for the past few months and have narrowed down my choices to either a 2014+ Lexus GX or a Mercedes GLE. I still cannot make up my mind, therefore I'm coming here to seek out opinions from you! Thanks in advance.
Some quick background: This will be the 3rd car for the family, I currently have a sports car and wife drives a sedan. I don't see a whole lot of comparisons between the two (more RX vs ML/GLE) therefore I couldn't really decide based on research online. Obviously the Lexus is great with body on frame construction, no turbos, V8 power and super reliability, but the tech while decent is now 8 yrs old. The Mercedes size is slightly better for me (I don't really need a 3rd row and the truck would be for city/pavement driving but reliability could potentially be an issue. Looks wise I like the GLE just a little bit more, but not by much. I actually did a test drive for both trucks and oddly enough I enjoyed how it drove for both. The GX surprisingly handled a lot better than I expected for it's size. I drove the Luxury version so not sure if the suspension helped at all. The GLE was just what I expected from a midsize unibody SUV.

Originally the GX is more expensive than a GLE for the same model year, but recently I've noticed the prices are getting close. I can find a decent/CPO 2015-2016 GX for slightly over $40k, similar to a 2016 GLE. For the GX I would want premium or luxury package (for those cooled seats). I researched the adjustable suspension might be expensive to repair once broken on the Luxury, but still willing to consider unless you guys tell me otherwise! I've also read that some would just convert it to normal springs?

I'm overall a fan of Japanese automobiles, with Toyota/Lexus being my favorite mainly due to reliability. I looked at MDXs but unfortunately Honda quality has gone slightly down in recent years and can't match the Lexus build and finish. Not a big fan of currently Infiniti offerings. I can't completely convince myself on the new RX look therefore I think the GX is the only choice. The facelift LX is really nice but too expensive.

Anybody experienced both GX and ML/GLE before? If not anybody have any experience with Mercedes brand in general? I've had a couple BMWs before and the experiences were not great.

Thanks!
Old 06-14-18, 12:56 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

I have an older 2011 ML350 and it has been very reliable. The 3.5L has general good reputation and is used on many of their line ups.

There isn't much of comparison between the two. One is true roughed SUV and other is a cross over.

Get which ever you like more. I would still get the GX for long term reliability despite what I've said above.
Old 06-14-18, 12:59 PM
17gx460
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I have two GX's (2008 and 2017). I looked at the big MB ute and like it, but I could not stomach the reliability and maintenance costs. Plus that think must eat brakes and tires for lunch and dinner.

I have a 2011 335is, and while it is an awesome car, one German car per household seems to be enough. I love both of my GX's and plan to keep them for a loooong time.
The following 2 users liked this post by 17gx460:
Acrad (06-14-18), vlad_a (06-26-18)
Old 06-14-18, 01:50 PM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Test drive them both. As for the length of ownership. How long do you plan on keeping the vehicle? If you want a lengthy ownership experience get the GX. It will be more reliable. Get rid of the German vehicle when the warranty period is over.
Old 06-14-18, 02:17 PM
rmason
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

1) GLE may be a bit more expensive if you consider the depreciation in value.
2) hate to break it to you but the cooling on the GX is really just a gimmick and doesn't provide much cooling at all compared to other lexus models.
3) if you're 50/50, just ask the wife.
4) infotainment is really outdated and not user friendly

I'm on my 3rd and 4th lexus and 2nd gx, daily driven 20k miles/year/vehicle and fully satisfied compared to what available in the market at this price point.
The following users liked this post:
Wadle5 (07-03-18)
Old 06-14-18, 02:41 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by rmason
2) hate to break it to you but the cooling on the GX is really just a gimmick and doesn't provide much cooling at all compared to other lexus models.

I'm on my 3rd and 4th lexus and 2nd gx, daily driven 20k miles/year/vehicle and fully satisfied compared to what available in the market at this price point.
Yeah it's just a fan but it does help.
The following 2 users liked this post by tecman:
georgd01 (06-17-18), vlad_a (06-26-18)
Old 06-14-18, 05:22 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,561 Likes on 2,331 Posts

I thought I saw some hacks that redirected floor air up in the rear and increased efficiency of ventilated seats. I don't have anything to compare it to but glad I have them. They work well enough in mine. I just used them today.
Old 06-15-18, 06:47 AM
php
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tecman
Yeah it's just a fan but it does help.
Yes but I heard the fan just blows the same air that comes from the vents, so if you have AC turned on in theory it should be blowing the cold AC air right?
Old 06-15-18, 07:36 AM
php
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rmason

You're right on point there....but when I asked the wife....she's 50/50 too
Old 06-15-18, 07:40 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

If you want a truck-like heavy-duty SUV, get the GX.

If you want a car-like crossover get the GLE.

They're good vehicles though. My dad has a 2015 ML he's looking to sell with about 90k miles on it.
Old 06-16-18, 07:51 PM
php
Driver School Candidate

Ok I've pretty much decided on the GX over the Mercedes. Now another question in front of me: do i buy new vs pre owned? I went to the dealer today and somehow they are offering amazing deals on brand new 2018 models...something like 12k off msrp, making a new GX with premium package approx $48k before tax and fees. That to me sounds like a crazy good deal.

On the other hand, i found a 2014 GX premium with 44k miles, at a Ford dealer, selling for $37k. I haven't seen the actual vehicle myself but based on pics it looks very well maintained and near new. Carfax is clean, one owner local car and all service done at Lexus dealer. So the gap is $11k. Assuming the 14 checks out (I'll do PPI etc), would you guys recommend buying new at 48k, or a well kept 2014 for $37k? Both have same premium package and the interior color i like I'm indifferent in terms of exterior/interior. I believe 44k miles is nothing for these trucks, and i don't even think any extended warranty is necessary if inspection goes well. Thoughts?
Old 06-16-18, 07:58 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,561 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Here are changes between the '14-'18

2018 changes

2017 changes

2016 changes

2015 changes
php (06-19-18)
Old 06-16-18, 08:14 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Personally I like used....Take that 11K and and use some if needed for the “14.
Wadle5 (07-03-18)
Old 06-16-18, 08:48 PM
rmason
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Things to consider

1. Most vehicle model years are actually produced and sold the year before...ie 2014 models were likely first sold august or sept 2013..etc

2. Depends on if you finance your purchase or part of it or not..due to special rates available for new vs. Used.

3. How long you intend to keep..5 years or to the ground.
And the net difference factored in divided by the years intend to keep and the piece of mind/value.

4.do what you makes you happy.
Old 06-16-18, 09:30 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Usually the old sage saying is intend to keep it till the wheels fall off then buy new, and used otherwise. But the GX is at a weird juncture, Used Prices are not that low compared to the deals to be had on new ones with these vehicles known for their higher then normal resell values in the the long run. In addition, considering how the only vehicle in the stable of Lexus that is the oldest tech wise is the GX, do you really want to pay 11k more for basically a vehicle thats riding on a decade old platform? The choice is upto you and your wallet.

Pros for the used:
Cheaper
same product as the 18
Plus if the GX magically gets refreshed for 19, you`re taking less of the depreciation then a brand new 18
php (06-19-18)

Quick Reply: Thinking about a GX