GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Break Pads and Rotors for 2013 GS350 f sport

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-18, 07:12 AM
Alexl31
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Break Pads and Rotors for 2013 GS350 f sport

Hi i have to replace my front break pads and rotors. Which is the best combo or kit i should buy. OEM, EBC, Akebono, power stuff, break performance. Also if i buy them should i buy the brand kit or a mix of these brands?
Thanks

Last edited by Alexl31; 06-12-18 at 07:30 AM.
Old 06-16-18, 12:15 AM
Perfekt
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you looking for braking performance, low dust, cost?
Old 06-16-18, 05:12 PM
Alexl31
Driver School Candidate

Street use and price. I think i am going to go with oem rotors but i prefer something similar thats relaiable and cheaper. Pads im leaning towards Akebono.
Old 06-16-18, 11:37 PM
jluang
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Akebono on oem F sport rotor now! Not that noticeably different from stock to me. A LOT less brake dust.!!
Old 06-18-18, 11:15 AM
mexijeshua
Driver School Candidate

I too am looking to replace the rotors and brake pads for my '13 GS350 F-Sport RWD. I have looked into the option of switching into drilled and/or slotted rotors but after some research it does not seem to be worth it for me. However, not sure whether to buy OEM rotors or go with something like Centric Premium or EBC. On the aftermarket rotors, such as Centric, how can I tell the difference between the model numbers? I found a Centric 12044184 and a Centric 12044185 that both fit my vehicle but both have same description...

Also, are Akebono better than Wagner or EBC ceramic pads?
Old 06-18-18, 12:00 PM
IndyIS
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by mexijeshua
I too am looking to replace the rotors and brake pads for my '13 GS350 F-Sport RWD. I have looked into the option of switching into drilled and/or slotted rotors but after some research it does not seem to be worth it for me. However, not sure whether to buy OEM rotors or go with something like Centric Premium or EBC. On the aftermarket rotors, such as Centric, how can I tell the difference between the model numbers? I found a Centric 12044184 and a Centric 12044185 that both fit my vehicle but both have same description...

Also, are Akebono better than Wagner or EBC ceramic pads?
I installed Akebono on my old BMW, and we have EBC pads (second set) on my son's car. Both offer excellent stopping power, and compared to OEM's, the brake dust is essentially non-existent. Either brand should pair up nicely with OEM rotors. Personally, for the GS, I like the Akebono but that's all just personal preference. You won't go wrong with either.
Old 06-18-18, 12:00 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Similar question. I replaced my front rotors 2 years ago (F sport RWD) with OEM rotors and the Akebono pads. Just found out today they are warped already! Roughly 25k miles on them. Is this normal wear? Could the aftermarket pads be causing them to warp prematurely?

I am also considering aftermarket rotors but not sure the risk is worth it. I can get them (OEM) online for $450 shipped. Lexus only covers parts for one year correct? Frustrating! I have had other vehicles (toyotas) go over 60k with original rotors and pads.
Old 06-18-18, 12:12 PM
IndyIS
Driver

Originally Posted by bigbwb
Similar question. I replaced my front rotors 2 years ago (F sport RWD) with OEM rotors and the Akebono pads. Just found out today they are warped already! Roughly 25k miles on them. Is this normal wear? Could the aftermarket pads be causing them to warp prematurely?
I've not heard of specific aftermarket brands causing premature wear, but I'm sure it happens with some of the cheaper brands out there. Given you're running premium pads like Akebono, unless there's damage to your rotors, with only 25k miles you should easily be able to have them turned to remove the spots causing the pulsing feeling in the pedal.
Old 06-18-18, 12:22 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Originally Posted by IndyIS
I've not heard of specific aftermarket brands causing premature wear, but I'm sure it happens with some of the cheaper brands out there. Given you're running premium pads like Akebono, unless there's damage to your rotors, with only 25k miles you should easily be able to have them turned to remove the spots causing the pulsing feeling in the pedal.
I agree, its doubtful the pads are causing the rotor wear. So the 2 piece F sport rotors can be turned? Any reason as to why my lexus dealer did not suggest this?
Old 06-18-18, 12:39 PM
IndyIS
Driver

Ah, yes. You have the RWD to have the 2 piece rotors. Yep, 2 piece rotors can be turned - I had them on my BMW and had them turned without any issues. Not sure why the dealer wouldn't have made the suggestion unless they saw damage, or they generally don't do this for the setup (which would seem odd to me).
Old 06-18-18, 12:48 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Originally Posted by IndyIS
Ah, yes. You have the RWD to have the 2 piece rotors. Yep, 2 piece rotors can be turned - I had them on my BMW and had them turned without any issues. Not sure why the dealer wouldn't have made the suggestion unless they saw damage, or they generally don't do this for the setup (which would seem odd to me).
Ok thank you! I will ask them when I pick it up!
Old 06-18-18, 01:55 PM
mexijeshua
Driver School Candidate

What rotors would you suggest to replace mine with? The dealer said they were okay, but the Firestone shop I took them to said they were warped and could not be resurfaced...
Old 06-18-18, 05:56 PM
IndyIS
Driver

Originally Posted by mexijeshua
What rotors would you suggest to replace mine with? The dealer said they were okay, but the Firestone shop I took them to said they were warped and could not be resurfaced...
Even though the dealer drives me crazy, I'd still go with their opinion vs Firestone given they're specifically trained for our cars. But, if you need to replace rotors, it really depends on budget and what you're looking for from the rotors. When in doubt, OEM is a perfect choice.

Do you have a local repair shop you trust if you were to take the new pads to them for installation? Or, if you're good with working on your own car, there are a few places where you can take your rotors off and have resurfaced in the shop while you wait. It's likely that just the fronts are warped. Plenty of DIY's on replacing your rotors and pads. DIY Dan that has a YouTube video to replace the rotors and pads on a GS350.
Old 06-19-18, 06:51 AM
mexijeshua
Driver School Candidate

Okay. I can afford the OEM rotors, just was not sure if perhaps I would get the same performance and life from using aftermarket rotors. I will likely go as mentioned above with the Akebono ceramic pads and the OEM rotors.

I do have a mechanic a lot of people recommend in town, so I will go have him take a look at the car and give me a quote on things.

Is eBay the best place for OEM rotors?
Old 06-19-18, 03:47 PM
IndyIS
Driver

I have pretty good luck with eBay. There are several good Toyota and Lexus dealers that I've purchased from in the past. Superstition Springs Lexus and Bell Lexus in Scottsdale are the two I typically buy from the most. I'm sure there are others, but prices are always good, and shipping is fast. If they don't have the part listed, you can message them and expect to get a response within a day.

Quick Reply: Break Pads and Rotors for 2013 GS350 f sport