Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 bmw x5

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-18, 05:55 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2019 bmw x5

The X5 trailed the Mercedes-Benz M-Class to market by a year, but broke open the segment by being the first luxury crossover to deliver a premium-car-like experience. As the X5 prepares for its 20th anniversary next year, it has sold more than 2 million units worldwide (when including its X6 sibling), and it sells better in the U.S. now than it ever has. Nevertheless, BMW wants its first "Sports Activity Vehicle" to reclaim the top spot from the only real competition it has ever had — the Mercedes GLE, which has outsold the X5 for the past two years.

The third-generation 2014 X5 was a holdover, built on a reworked chassis from the second-generation X5 introduced in 2007, considered an "update" rather than an entirely new model. The fourth-gen 2019 X5 starts from scratch. Although it rides on the SUV version of BMW's Cluster Architecture — same as the X3 and the X7 — BMW used the gee-whiz multi-material structure to reduce weight instead of increase proportions. We couldn't get a curb-weight figure, but BMW said the new X5 has the same stiffness as the outgoing vehicle, is about 1.1 inches longer with even smaller changes to height and width, on a wheelbase that's "maybe two or three millimeters more" than the 2018 X5.

Designers grabbed their boldest pencils for this redesign. The 2019 X5 serves up simpler surfacing with an emphasis on horizontal and vertical lines, making a sterner statement because of it. Two sharper spines crease the hood, outlining deeper scallops in the center out to more pronounced edges. A big ol' monochrome grille hiding active shutters dominates a larger, flatter face. The few angled lines on the front fascia beeline into hard corners, a theme carried over to the headlight housings, where the X5 forsakes round light rings for partial hexagons. The brutalist theme makes the X3 look passionate by comparison.

That deadpan front end sets the tone for the sides: This looks like a vehicle that has no intention of moving out of your way. A beveled edge at the base of the greenhouse establishes width at the midline, creating the impression of more substantial flanks. A faster roof angle to the backlight keeps the profile from looking blunt. A shoulder line runs from the top corner of the taillight, across the generous haunches, through the rear door handle, then dips with an S-bend below the front door handles to complete its run to just behind the front wheel arch. An active shutter just ahead of the front door turns into the lower character line and frames the side-length hollow.

The rear aspect could have been cribbed from the current X5. The two-piece tailgate — a holdover from when BMW created the X5 while owning Range Rover — remains, but top and bottom feature full electric closure. Assertively three-dimensional LED taillights have raised, stretched U-shaped outer edges that surround inset centers. Down below, exhaust finishers go flush with the bumper instead of poking through bumper cutouts.

Inside, the instrument panel takes the same general shape as that on the X7, but more extravagant décor and materials on the X7 will differentiate the two. The X5 shares some touchpoints, though, such as a frameless rearview mirror, the same front seats and steering wheel, and a display key that can charge wirelessly in a pocket at the base of the center console ahead of cooled and heated cup holders.

The redesigned control panel on the center tunnel upgrades cabin elegance with crystal surfacing on the iDrive **** and repositioned On/Off button, and a meaty cut crystal orb atop the redesigned shift lever. Slender pipes of ambient lighting highlight the center tunnel, doors, and instrument panel.

X5s fitted with the optional panoramic roof will let the sun shine in. The stars can also be had with the additional option of Sky Lounge LED lighting. Comfort glass, standard on the X7, will be available for the X5.

Tech enhancements include a new iDrive 7.0, enabled with over-the-air updates and displaying on a 12.3-inch screen; touch and voice control will be included, gesture control optional. Harman Kardon provides the entry-level sound system, but Bowers & Wilkins takes over from Bang & Olufsen (Harman owns the other two premium audio companies) as the top option with a Diamond Plus system belting out 1,800 watts of 3-D sound.

A new, optional driver assistance feature monitors driver attention and fatigue. A camera tucked inside a small hexagonal housing at the top of the gauge cluster watches the driver. If the camera doesn't detect the driver's eyes looking at the road ahead for a certain amount of time, or detects the driver's eyes are closed, the system will sound an audible alert. If the driver doesn't respond to illuminated and audible warnings, BMW told us the X5 will be able to pull over on its own and come to a stop.

For drivers who remain alert, a hands-off detection feature in the steering wheel will let the driver take her hands off the wheel at lower speeds for up to 30 seconds, or for up to seven seconds at highway speeds.

The third-row option continues, but it won't be available at launch. The X5 begins production at the South Carolina plant in August, the third-row coming online four months later during December production. BMW needs to protect its X7 from poaching by three-row X5s, so in light of the new X5 having stayed the same size, the extra two seats should be viewed like fire extinguishers, to be used in case of emergency only. The chairs can be flipped down with a button in the cargo area, but they must be raised manually.

The cargo area, if no larger than the present 35.8 cubic feet behind the second row, benefits from tweaks to boost convenience. Gone is the current, fiddly cargo cover that must be removed by hand and then stored somewhere out of the way. The new, all-electric cargo cover extends and retracts with a button push. When the cover isn't needed, the entire cover housing descends into the flat load floor.

Long, thin, rubber anti-slip rails lie flat on the load floor. Press a button on the side of the cargo area and the rubber rails rise a few millimeters in order to hold cargo in place. These, along with the third-row seats and Bowers & Wilkins system, become available with December X5 production.

The inline-six and eight-cylinder gas engines get "a little more" power and better fuel economy numbers. The 3.0-liter straight-six gains 20 horses, rising to 335 total, with 330 pound-feet of torque in a wide band from from 1,500 through 5,200 rpm, and graduates from "35i" nomenclature to sDrive40i and xDrive40i. The 4.4-liter V8 in the xDrive50i makes 456 horsepower and 479 pound-feet of torque between 1,550 and 4,750 rpm. BMW cites 0-to-60 times of 5.3 seconds for the SDrive40i and 4.6 seconds for the V8.

Diesel fans should get their orders in for the current model, because BMW said the oil-burning 2019 X5 "probably isn't coming to the U.S." Global markets will retain their two diesels, the 3.0-liter with two turbochargers branded as the "35d," and the same diesel with three turbochargers branded as the "50d." The xDrive40e plug-in hybrid will continue, with availability sometime after launch, and is expected to be upgraded to the xDrive45e with slightly more power from its 2.0-liter, four-cylinder engine.

Shifting comes courtesy of the eight-speed ZF transmission found in the X7.

Reviews have chided the current X5's imprecise steering, a situation BMW addressed by transplanting the X7's steering setup to the 2019 X5. Actual road impressions arrive through one of four suspensions. The base setup pairs steel springs with adaptive dampers. An optional M Sport suspension swaps in retuned steel springs with a lower ride height, and M Sport tires and wheels. (A notable change for the M Sport model, sure to make purists smile: BMW won't put M badging on the exterior in the U.S.) The third suspension option is an active air suspension with air springs on both axles — no more rear-axle-only air springs. The ultimate in flexibility goes to the Off-Road Package, same as on the X7 and available from launch, that can raise the vehicle up to 1.6 inches and includes an electronically variable M Sport limited slip differential. An active anti-roll bar and Integral Rear Steer join the options list, as 22-inch wheels and a factory-installed two-inch trailer hitch.

Based on the static impression, the 2019 X5 might be all new, but it looks like an evolution of its predecessor. The brawnier mid-sized crossover gets better looks, luxury, and tech, irons out some deficiencies in the current car, puts space between it and the X3, while leaving space for the grand-luxe X7 above. Still, it is obviously an X5. This is a reset rather than a revolution, leaving a nice template for further updates to come.
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/06/05/...ed-sneak-peak/

Last edited by Hoovey689; 06-06-18 at 10:45 AM.
Old 06-05-18, 10:10 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Quite disappointing. Virtually indistinguishable from it's predecessor. Yet added very odd shapes at certain spots, which seems to be a fetish of BMW lately. What's up with the # "1" symbol front air intakes? What's with all these stupid notches in all the cut-outs? And why notch out the bottom corners of the tailpipe tips? Then we go to the other extreme with the plain and boring Jeep Grand Cherokee/Kia Optima taillights. BMW had always displayed some decent lighting out back, but now the back is a generic let-down. This will sell because it's a BMW, not because it's treads any special ground.
Old 06-05-18, 11:07 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Quite disappointing. Virtually indistinguishable from it's predecessor.
Agreed with this part. Quite a bit of BMW's design tend to be indistinguishable from it's predecessor.

I might just be going crazy but for some reason the rear of the 2019 X5 reminds me of the Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Old 06-05-18, 11:22 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

it's like they ran out of ideas for exterior design, so they just changed the creases a bit.

Also, when I first saw that rear end, particularly the tail lights, I thought it was a korean car, like a KIA. It's a bit nondescript now, if you don't see the front. I can't find it now, but I could swear a similar tail light was on some late model KIA.
I've gotten so used to seeing their trademark taillight shape. Now they change it to a generic shape.

But I'm just being critical. It's not a bad looking car.

They went gungho on the polygon shapes in the interior.

Last edited by pman6; 06-05-18 at 11:42 PM.
Old 06-06-18, 12:15 AM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks nice.
Old 06-06-18, 05:25 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Handsome vehicle. I like it.
Old 06-06-18, 10:46 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Loving the interior. The seat color and blue accents are really cool.
Old 06-06-18, 06:52 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Interior is huge upgrade and new platform should make this X5 more dynamic to drive.

I like everything besides the tailights.
Old 06-06-18, 07:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I also like it, huge upgrade to the interior I agree...
Old 06-06-18, 08:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Win, win, and some more win...
Old 06-06-18, 10:08 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

BMW needs another Chris Bangle. All their current stuff is snoresville for the most part IMO. Their new designs look like the same old design that came out 5-7 years ago. Especially this X5, looks almost exactly like the 2014 X5.

I mean its great news if you don't have the $$$$ to buy a new one but want to fool people into thinking you have the new or a newish one. I see the same thing with older model Range Rovers, they're so cheap used but they didn't change the body style much over the years so it still looks current.
Old 06-06-18, 10:22 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Aron9000
BMW needs another Chris Bangle. All their current stuff is snoresville for the most part IMO. Their new designs look like the same old design that came out 5-7 years ago. Especially this X5, looks almost exactly like the 2014 X5.

I mean its great news if you don't have the $$$$ to buy a new one but want to fool people into thinking you have the new or a newish one. I see the same thing with older model Range Rovers, they're so cheap used but they didn't change the body style much over the years so it still looks current.
I agree, they need someone new to brighten up the exteriors. But someone like Bangle would be even worse. Few liked his style at the time, and the bustlebutt decklid along with the Dame Edna headlights were lamented by most.
Old 06-06-18, 10:30 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe a few here can shed some light on the following. I do not own a vehicle with interior accent lighting. But it seems to be the trend on today's German or luxury cars. At least in photos, it looks very distracting. When driving at night, wouldn't having a glowing beam of light off to the side capture one's attention, and thus be a distraction? If so, then perhaps people turn down the intensity (?). If that is done, then what is the point of even offering such an accent if most people dim it down? I keep coming up with these old-fashioned thoughts that I may be getting old and grumpy, but I like my car without nannies and without a disco lightshow inside. Simple, basic, undistracted driving, where straight-ahead is the focus, with minimal reflections.
So either these lighting accents are not distracting and I don't know because I don't own one, or they are, and adding to the on-going list of in-cabin hazards.
Old 06-07-18, 12:31 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I agree, they need someone new to brighten up the exteriors. But someone like Bangle would be even worse. Few liked his style at the time, and the bustlebutt decklid along with the Dame Edna headlights were lamented by most.
I say Chris Bangle was hit or miss. Hated the E65 7 series, his first car. Man that thing was ugly, especially compared to the sleek and well creased looking E38 7 series that came before it. Thing is that car sold more units than any other 7 series ever, but yeah it was a crap car, both style wise and from an engineering standpoint, it was way too complicated and BMW didn't bother to put in the time to actually test the car to see if it would still work 5 to 10 years down the road.

Still though, I do love his other designs. E60 5 series is one of my favorite BMW sedans, the Z4 still looks cool, the reintroduced 6 series was also a striking car. Its just that BMW kind of lost their way again in the early 2010's when it was time to replace those 00's cars. The cars that replaced them weren't as sharp looking IMO, they looked bloated in comparison to the sharp lines Bangle penned.
Old 06-07-18, 06:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I don’t get it guys lol, this X5 looks at least as different as a 7ES vs a 6ES and I can clearly tell the difference between this and the outgoing X5 from every angle.

I think youre being being a little unfair. How different should they make it?!

Quick Reply: 2019 bmw x5