GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2jz-gte swap questions

Old 06-05-18, 05:28 AM
SirBev
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2jz-gte swap questions

I have a GS 300 98. If I want to have a running STOCK 2JZGTE in to. What parts do I need to gather to accomplish this.

What are the items needed to get this in the car functioning. Like it came this way?
Old 06-05-18, 07:29 AM
SirBev
Pole Position

Will the stock GS 300 driveshaft bolt right up to the 2JZGTE automatic transmission?
Old 06-05-18, 07:58 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 269 Likes on 236 Posts

Search and you will find all of the answers
Old 06-05-18, 08:52 AM
apiryan
Driver School Candidate

In the same boat. 99 GS looking to swap. Been looking at ebay sellers. Prices have gone up in past month by 300-500, may be the season, may be the deficit of engines in Japan.

From all I read 98-00 is a straight swap, with only 1 wire to run to igniter to get the tach working, 01-05 needs painful rewiring.
Driveshaft either needs to be cut at a machine shop or buy Aristo's.
Fuel pump: Aristo, Walbro 255, Deutsche Works 255, there's a couple more brands.
Need to run return fuel line from the pump.
Supra's or alt. throttle cable.
Side Mounted Aristo's intercooler.
Straight pipe farbrication along with universal catalytic converter to avoid gas smell.
Swaps usually come with 4 speed tranny included, along with MAF and ECU (non-immobilized are rare, thats extra 300$)

I personally will try to locate a dealer in Japan directly. I think that way I'll get more complete swap for cheaper.
Make them take a video of compression test. And ask to package it properly as sensors do break off during shipment.

I have a guy in Columbus, OH who'll do the swap for 500$. He's tested, done dashboard removal twice on mine (charges 300$ to remove the dash), A/C leak fix (evap, valve, heater core, box sealing) along with various maintenance on stock GE.

500$ just for swap, more if anything needs to be fabricated.

So with swap's price with all components and labor I'm looking at 4000$ tops.

Last edited by apiryan; 06-05-18 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-15-18, 10:39 AM
BrenYF
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry that this is such a late response, and I'm sure you've probably found the info you need by now, but I made a spreadsheet with all the parts and information that I needed to swap my GS. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
The following 2 users liked this post by BrenYF:
AgedGS (07-03-18), n1ck (06-21-18)
Old 06-15-18, 01:42 PM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Good job Bren......I see a lot of my contributions in there.

As far as the drive shaft goes....the GS one will work if the holes are elongated. So it saves you a few $$ and the hassle of trying to find one!
Old 06-15-18, 02:58 PM
apiryan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Letsride
Good job Bren......I see a lot of my contributions in there.

As far as the drive shaft goes....the GS one will work if the holes are elongated. So it saves you a few $$ and the hassle of trying to find one!
Can the stock GS300's driveshaft be used only if it's both cut shorter and re-drilled?

Last edited by apiryan; 06-15-18 at 03:07 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-15-18, 03:00 PM
apiryan
Driver School Candidate

Some of GTE swap sellers on ebay state compression 150. Isn't it low? Thought it should be at least 170.
Old 06-15-18, 05:18 PM
BrenYF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by apiryan
Some of GTE swap sellers on ebay state compression 150. Isn't it low? Thought it should be at least 170.
The GTE is 8.5:1 compression ratio I believe, and factory spec is 156 psi, a little bit lower than the GE, but you want to make sure that there isn't more than a 14 PSI variance between the highest and lowest cylinder.
Old 06-15-18, 06:49 PM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Can the stock GS300's driveshaft be used only if it's both cut shorter and re-drilled?
It does not need to be cut shorter.....just redrilled!
Old 06-15-18, 07:14 PM
apiryan
Driver School Candidate

Anyone can comment on certain ebay swap sellers, the better and worse ones? Purchase experience?

Does it make sense to actually contact some of the JDM importers directly in Japan and ask them for search for under 60K miles GTE motor with tranny and ship it to US with non-immobilized ECU and side mounted intercooler with piping for 2500$? Have them make a video of compression test too.
Old 06-15-18, 11:05 PM
BrenYF
Driver School Candidate

Anyone can comment on certain ebay swap sellers, the better and worse ones? Purchase experience?

Does it make sense to actually contact some of the JDM importers directly in Japan and ask them for search for under 60K miles GTE motor with tranny and ship it to US with non-immobilized ECU and side mounted intercooler with piping for 2500$? Have them make a video of compression test too.
If there are any engine warehouses/importers near you, I would suggest checking their inventory in person, even if it is a couple hours away. I did that and was able to ensure the motorset I got had everything I needed, and was compression tested right in front of me. If you don't have an importer near you, you could look up the best importers, since a lot of them sell on eBay.
Old 06-16-18, 09:24 AM
apiryan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BrenYF
If there are any engine warehouses/importers near you, I would suggest checking their inventory in person, even if it is a couple hours away. I did that and was able to ensure the motorset I got had everything I needed, and was compression tested right in front of me. If you don't have an importer near you, you could look up the best importers, since a lot of them sell on eBay.
All swap sellers are centered on either coast, nothing near Columbus, OH. Do you know the names of the best ones? From whom did you buy yours?
Old 06-16-18, 02:42 PM
BrenYF
Driver School Candidate

All swap sellers are centered on either coast, nothing near Columbus, OH. Do you know the names of the best ones? From whom did you buy yours?
I live in Tampa Florida so I went to Orlando since I heard Orlando JDM was a good importer. They had a big selection and I'm happy with the 2JZGTE I got. They have a website and they might sell on eBay too, but every engine is different and there will always be a risk. They do have warranty for 30 days after the invoice, so you have some insurance, but only for the engine internals, and for it to be valid it has to be professionally installed (I did it in my garage lol), and the problem has to be diagnosed by a mechanic. You could also check the reputability of west coast JDM importers as well, I don't really know the best importers. Hope that helps.
Old 06-17-18, 12:32 PM
apiryan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BrenYF
I live in Tampa Florida so I went to Orlando since I heard Orlando JDM was a good importer. They had a big selection and I'm happy with the 2JZGTE I got. They have a website and they might sell on eBay too, but every engine is different and there will always be a risk. They do have warranty for 30 days after the invoice, so you have some insurance, but only for the engine internals, and for it to be valid it has to be professionally installed (I did it in my garage lol), and the problem has to be diagnosed by a mechanic. You could also check the reputability of west coast JDM importers as well, I don't really know the best importers. Hope that helps.
What kind of tests you had the seller do in front of you? Just compression?
How many miles your engine has? Will you change all the seals and waterpump/timing?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2jz-gte swap questions