LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Need input on a 2005 vs 2006 used LS430

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-18, 12:19 PM
mikelaca
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Need input on a 2005 vs 2006 used LS430

I’m new to the forum and am learning how to compare different trim levels of the LS430 as well as maintenance and other things to watch for. I’ve read the FAQ and there’s some great info here which has supercharged my knowledge so thank you all.

I’m interested in the Ultimate or Custom Luxury trims only. Beyond that, I don’t have any hard requirements. Where I’d still like some input from the forum is evaluating the fair market value of the used cars. Below is a 2005 CL and a 2006 UL.

2005 Pros:
No Air suspension to fail
Love the Low Miles
Good tires

Link to the 05

2005 Cons:
High Price
Not a big fan of chrome wheels
Rims look a bit worn
Lives near the beach, rust an issue??

------------------------------------------------

2006 Pros:
Lower Price
Guy seems willing to move it
Tinted windows

Link to the 06

2006 Cons:
Air Suspension failure could happen
Not a fan of chrome rims

I'm unable to tell what exact interior/exterior color these have so if anyone can share that would be great. Also, is it the "upgraded" leather?
How can one tell if the CL has the sport package with the sway bar and tuned suspension?
How can you tell if it has the pre-collision upgrade on the cruise control?

So, based on the above, do either of these cars jump out as a good buy. Or maybe is one/both too high priced and thus I should ignore it. Any specific maintenance items I should check to see if they’ve done or that I might incur soon given the 100% difference in miles? Each seller says they have all records of dealer done service so it should be easy to find the presence or absence of a certain service/repair.
Both cars are in the same state, my state, so that’s a wash. Looking forward to anything else I might have missed when evaluating as I hope to sharpen my hunting skills with your help.
Old 05-26-18, 12:54 PM
bradland

Received 649 Likes on 531 Posts

The white 05 is WAY TOO HIGH !!!
The Flint Mica 06 is too high as well but not entirely unreasonable.
It's fairly safe to assume both need Timing Belt service considering age and mileage. The 05 would probably be ok to wait until 75 or 80k but it's priced so high already it's a mute point.
The 06 is probably for sale because he doesn't want to spend the money to service the TB.
Old 05-26-18, 12:57 PM
InToyoda
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check the carfax on the 06 make sure it's a clean title, pretty cool color combo imo. I think there is an issue with rust on beachside cars.
the 06 should be fully loaded as far as I can see. Edit: It has every option as far as I can tell - no sport package because it's a UL package

Last edited by InToyoda; 05-26-18 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-26-18, 01:00 PM
InToyoda
Rookie

Originally Posted by bradland
The white 05 is WAY TOO HIGH !!!
The Flint Mica 06 is too high as well but not entirely unreasonable.
The 06 is probably for sale because he doesn't want to spend the money to service the TB.
That 06 looks like a very clean example though...
TB service shouldn't be done by a shade tree mechanic it's pretty in depth and not cheap at a dealer either I believe you're suggested to do cam seals and obviously WP while you are there
Old 05-26-18, 01:09 PM
InToyoda
Rookie

I would plan on air strut replacement if you haven't already, but they can be converted to steel shocks as well for cheap( you pull 1 fuse and you have no warnings on dash and you're good to go), or you can slightly lower your car using struts off a LS with the sport package. obviously the other alternatives are aftermarket air ride,and aftermarket 'stock' lexus air struts.
Old 05-26-18, 01:16 PM
mikelaca
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by InToyoda
I would plan on air strut replacement if you haven't already, but they can be converted to steel shocks as well for cheap( you pull 1 fuse and you have no warnings on dash and you're good to go), or you can slightly lower your car using struts off a LS with the sport package. obviously the other alternatives are aftermarket air ride,and aftermarket 'stock' lexus air struts.
This is where I'm confused. Is it air shocks or air struts or both? I used to own a Phaeton and they had air shocks, and you could replace them one at a time. Is the Lexus the sam way or do you need to replace all 4 at the same time like on the 2004 early Phaetons?
Are you saying Lexus doesn't make air shocks/struts anymore? You said "aftermarket" air. Is there a way to get factory oem air? I'm thinking if I'm going to do air I would want to do it as the car performed when new.

Based on all of the above would you just recommend getting a CL trim which has all the same features minus air and rear seat perks?
Old 05-26-18, 01:25 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Welcome aboard. Good luck in your hunt.

From what I've read from others in the CA market, cars out by you are more expensive than in many other areas of the country. That being said, the guy selling his 05 is rather proud of it judging by the price that he wants. Nice looking car and maybe he will negotiate down. The 05 doesn't have the Pre-collision system but the 06 does. I'd ask the owner of the 05 for a better picture of the Monroney sticker (window sticker). This will tell you exactly what options are on the car. Exterior color is Crystal White with parchment perforated leather.

The 06 has Flint Mica exterior color and a black semi aniline leather interior.

Timing belts would have been changed if both cars were serviced by the book due to age. Look for that and negotiate down if not already performed. Otherwise, perform your due diligence when inspecting everything...
Old 05-26-18, 01:35 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Originally Posted by InToyoda
TB service shouldn't be done by a shade tree mechanic it's pretty in depth and not cheap at a dealer either I believe you're suggested to do cam seals and obviously WP while you are there
Sorry, but wrong advice. Find someone who has performed at least one, or preferably, several timing belt job(s) on a 3UZ-FE engine and you will be fine. I did the job myself and it isn't that difficult if you take the time to do it right. Lexus only requires changing the timing belt at the 90K service, not the water pump, idlers, tensioner and cam seals. Many will change the WP, idlers and tensioner at the first service since the additional labor charge shouldn't be that much more expensive. Cam seals almost always are not done until you are in the 180K mile range, i.e. performing the second timing belt service...
Old 05-26-18, 01:44 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Gronemus
Sorry, but wrong advice. Find someone who has performed at least one, or preferably, several timing belt job(s) on a 3UZ-FE engine and you will be fine. I did the job myself and it isn't that difficult if you take the time to do it right. Lexus only requires changing the timing belt at the 90K service, not the water pump, idlers, tensioner and cam seals. Many will change the WP, idlers and tensioner at the first service since the additional labor charge shouldn't be that much more expensive. Cam seals almost always are not done until you are in the 180K mile range, i.e. performing the second timing belt service...
What he ^ said.
Old 05-26-18, 01:47 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Originally Posted by mikelaca
This is where I'm confused. Is it air shocks or air struts or both? I used to own a Phaeton and they had air shocks, and you could replace them one at a time. Is the Lexus the sam way or do you need to replace all 4 at the same time like on the 2004 early Phaetons?
Are you saying Lexus doesn't make air shocks/struts anymore? You said "aftermarket" air. Is there a way to get factory oem air? I'm thinking if I'm going to do air I would want to do it as the car performed when new.

Based on all of the above would you just recommend getting a CL trim which has all the same features minus air and rear seat perks?
There are many threads on the forum commenting about the durability (or perhaps lack thereof) of the air shock system used on the UL models. I've got the impression that many of the naysayers of the air shocks don't even own a UL version of the car but there are plenty of threads where people needed to have them repaired. It basically boils down to this: if one of the shocks goes bad it is expensive to replace. Usually more than $1000 for each one. Proponents of the UL do love the ride that they give. I wouldn't rule them out, just make sure that if you're considering a UL that they are problem free when you buy the car.

Lastly, I believe that I have read somewhere that the 2006 air shocks seem to hold up better than some of the earlier years due to a design change. Take that for what is is worth...
The following users liked this post:
2KHarrier (05-27-18)
Old 05-26-18, 03:42 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

The comment about CA prices being higher is correct. Sometimes 1-2K. Upside is no rust, cold weather issues, etc. usually well maintained. There's a perfect 06 ML in Blue Onyx at local dealer. Reputation for good cars. One owner w/ 75k. Tempted but asking is 17.
Old 05-26-18, 04:14 PM
InToyoda
Rookie

Originally Posted by mikelaca

I own a UL and performed the steel strut conversion myself - you can buy brand new Lexus Air shocks at the tune of 1k a pop - Arnott I believe makes a aftermarket ' stock' air strut that is a cheaper option(just recently saw these on ebay). you can replace them one at a time they hold pressure individually
Old 05-26-18, 05:59 PM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

All LS 430 models with sport suspension (SS) have a badge on each front fender that says "Sport Suspension." While I have never seen a Custom Luxury model with the SS option, they may well exist, but must be on the order of a unicorn. PCS optioned cars are readily distinguishable by the clear plastic square backing the Lexus emblem on the front of the car.

Others have offered good advice. As for pricing, the 2005 should bring $15,000 maximum in a private sale. Even that might be a stretch as the mileage is not crazy low. The 2006 should sell for about $11,500 or a wee bit more. Those figures assume that the timing belt service has been performed.

Last point - I never get hung up on options or color schemes when buying used. My focus is simply on finding a good car. Only when buying new do those factors become paramount.
Old 05-26-18, 09:02 PM
bradland

Received 649 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by TriC
All LS 430 models with sport suspension (SS) have a badge on each front fender that says "Sport Suspension." While I have never seen a Custom Luxury model with the SS option, they may well exist, but must be on the order of a unicorn. PCS optioned cars are readily distinguishable by the clear plastic square backing the Lexus emblem on the front of the car.

Others have offered good advice. As for pricing, the 2005 should bring $15,000 maximum in a private sale. Even that might be a stretch as the mileage is not crazy low. The 2006 should sell for about $11,500 or a wee bit more. Those figures assume that the timing belt service has been performed.

Last point - I never get hung up on options or color schemes when buying used. My focus is simply on finding a good car. Only when buying new do those factors become paramount.
Not all...
My '06 has Sport Suspension and no badges on the fender. The best way to verify is via a dealer using the VIN.
Old 05-27-18, 04:11 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by bradland
Not all...
My '06 has Sport Suspension and no badges on the fender. The best way to verify is via a dealer using the VIN.
I should have prefaced the assertion and said, "As delivered when new...." Certainly for some cars, emblems have been later removed or fenders replaced with new ones lacking sport suspension emblems. Who knows, perhaps even a few rolled off the assembly line with the emblems omitted by mistake.

Last edited by TriC; 05-27-18 at 04:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Need input on a 2005 vs 2006 used LS430