IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Could someone tell me...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-18, 06:04 PM
bryceis250
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Could someone tell me...

I've sanded them with a rotary brush on a drill treated with naval jelly and penetrant. How did they get this way and what do I do about it?
How these got this way and how should I fix it from happening again?
Old 05-25-18, 06:14 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 768 Likes on 671 Posts

Have you've owned the car the whole time? Any chance it was a flooded car?

Then again if your in northern states. It's hard with the snow, and salt. It will take a heavy toll on the components.

Last edited by MikeFig82; 05-25-18 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-25-18, 07:16 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,482 Likes on 1,236 Posts

What does the underside look like?
Yikes!
Old 05-25-18, 07:57 PM
Tyler1004
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bryceis250

I've sanded them with a rotary brush on a drill treated with naval jelly and penetrant. How did they get this way and what do I do about it?
How these got this way and how should I fix it from happening again?
Has the car been flooded?
Old 05-26-18, 09:12 AM
XSV
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

oh my lanta
Old 05-26-18, 11:55 AM
primavera
Instructor

Received 302 Likes on 256 Posts

Long winters and heavy use of road salt take a toll on any vehicle. Years ago same thing happened to my Golf GTI where my front shock towers rusted out badly.
I was afraid that one day my shocks will go through the hood if I hit the pothole hard enough. I ended up buying shock tower repair kit and took it to a body shop.

They did pretty good job welding in new tops, painting and sealing them off. Since they removed the front shocks to do the repair I had to do an alignment after everything was done. Drove the car for few more years until I got rid of it.
There are bunch of YouTube videos on how to repair shock towers, but at some point you're gonna have to ask yourself is it worth putting more money into an old car or would it be wiser to buy something new(er).

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIA9ZX5TU4583

Last edited by primavera; 05-26-18 at 10:42 PM.
Old 05-26-18, 01:38 PM
StanleyR
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by primavera
Long winters and heavy use of road salt take a toll on any vehicle.
If I lived in that climate again, I'd refuse to own anything nicer than an old truck/SUV (Suburban etc) .

After countless icy, cold winters, salted and sanded roads and absurd temps, I've sworn off life on the prairies.
Anything you have that's remotely "nice" will look like trash within a few years. My 12 year old Lex looks almost new compared to my MIL's newer Impala
It's just not worth it.
Old 05-27-18, 10:40 PM
bryceis250
Intermediate

doesnt really explain why the rust is there specifically. look at the surrounding areas theres no rust. not a flooded car, title and vin run match up
Old 05-27-18, 10:46 PM
bryceis250
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
What does the underside look like?
Yikes!
the undercarriage is fine as a whole, but i have not looked at the underside of the strut tower. the rear axle is the worst i have ever seen as far as rot, but its just the top layer at the moment. something about the design kicks all the snow into the axle.

why would just the caps on the struts rust. it seems unusual. could the shocks me leaking or creating moisture and pushing form underneath? just didn't know if this was a problem for these cars.the black ring, is that stock? look at the picture posted of the car which had the strut tower replacement, completely different flange.
i was also thinking its attracted there gathering any moisture from under the protective covers?

Last edited by bryceis250; 05-27-18 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-28-18, 05:56 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 768 Likes on 671 Posts

the undercarriage is fine as a whole, but i have not looked at the underside of the strut tower. the rear axle is the worst i have ever seen as far as rot, but its just the top layer at the moment. something about the design kicks all the snow into the axle.

why would just the caps on the struts rust. it seems unusual. could the shocks me leaking or creating moisture and pushing form underneath? just didn't know if this was a problem for these cars.the black ring, is that stock? look at the picture posted of the car which had the strut tower replacement, completely different flange.
i was also thinking its attracted there gathering any moisture from under the protective covers?
Is all the weather seals still attached to the hood? Front of hood, along the length of the fenders. Also the rear one on the hood?
The following users liked this post:
bryceis250 (05-31-18)
Old 05-30-18, 11:23 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

why isn't anyone commenting on the fact that the strut is loose from the top hat?! yikes!

regardless of how rusted it is, that needs to be fixed pronto!
Old 05-30-18, 02:03 PM
bryceis250
Intermediate

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
why isn't anyone commenting on the fact that the strut is loose from the top hat?! yikes!

regardless of how rusted it is, that needs to be fixed pronto!
OMG what?? What's wong? O I didn't see his posted picture. Yeah I think that looks wrong

Last edited by bryceis250; 05-30-18 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Understanding
Old 05-31-18, 10:56 PM
bryceis250
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
Is all the weather seals still attached to the hood? Front of hood, along the length of the fenders. Also the rear one on the hood?
affirmative, it appears so. theres a few spots where rust is setting in pretty good. ill never understand why someone that owns a car whether they like it or not, see rust and just let it go.
Old 06-02-18, 08:50 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

Cause unlike most of on here, the common person doesn’t know **** about cars and pay others to fix stuff for them when it breaks.

That’s why car stealerships make so much on service especially even today when the service intervals are much longer and cars are even more reliable than 20 years ago.

affirmative, it appears so. theres a few spots where rust is setting in pretty good. ill never understand why someone that owns a car whether they like it or not, see rust and just let it go.
Old 06-03-18, 09:48 AM
bryceis250
Intermediate

funny you say this, i was just watching undercover stings on you tube last night with the stealerships and their "recommended" services, after an ASE cert. mech had already gone over the car and given a clean bill of health. its so true, you cant trust ANY OF THEM, NOT ONE. i could go on and on with examples, but im sure you have a list longer than mine. hey how about finding that washer for me man on the pulley? i cant find it !!

Quick Reply: Could someone tell me...