Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What are your top 3 Automakers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-18, 11:58 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default What are your top 3 Automakers?

As the title suggests, what are your top 3 automakers? Please list, with your reasoning. They can be ranked or in no particular order. They can be current or defunct. If possible also mention your favorite vehicle from that automaker. Remember to be respectful of people responses if replying to another's post as this is subjective.

--- --- ---

In no particular order:

Ford. I come from a Ford family and growing up that's all we really knew. My grandparents have never bought anything but Blue Ovals. By no means perfect, we've been lucky and never had any major issues. I've personally owned a 2004 Mustang (nothing exciting 4-Speed Auto, 3.8L V6), and a 2003 Explorer which I handed down to my littlest sister, still running strong despite the neglect it gets from her ownership. The Ford GT (60's era, first gen 2000s, and second gen current) line is my favorite Ford vehicle. I love the heritage, design, pedigree. It beat Ferrari in the 60's. And won Le Mans on it's 50th anniversary!

Lexus. No surprise, yeah they can be a let down now and then. But overall Lexus has treated me VERY well. I'd of still had a Ford if it weren't for fate. In high school the son of the GM of a Lexus dealer rear ended my Mustang. The GM didn't want it on his insurance so he fixed my car, and while we were down a car, I took my moms Explorer and she was given a brand new 0 mileage 2007 RX350 off the lot to drive while my car was in the shop. Well we ended up liking the car so much that a year later my mom got a 2008 RX350. Around that time I had started appreciating all makes and models and was close to buying a CX-7 (phew), G35, and Acura TL Type-S. One day took moms car in for an oil change, and while waiting I discovered the IS, rest was history. A few years later I started working for Lexus. Dad got a 2012 IS350, and the middle sister recently purchased a 2015 CPO IS250. So we've converted to a Lexus family hah! From bad (rear)endings are the start of new beginnings . The overall quality of Lexus's and the service is what really make me happy. The Lexus LFA would be my favorite model produced by Lexus. Fathomed in a time of world recession and still brought to life despite naysayers. It's a testament to 'the automobile'. Also the glorious V10 in collaboration with Yamaha (which I also like) is unreal.

Mercedes-Benz. Never owned one, but I have mad respect for this company that essentially pioneered the automobile. They have their hand in just about every segment (small fwd/rwd sedans to AMG GT's, SLRs, Maybachs, vans, G63 6x6s). The pedigree of their racing heritage, the uniqueness factor such as the new E53 AMG or AMG GT 63 4-door, it makes for one heck of a company. The AMG GT would be my favorite current model from Benz because it weaves much of the above into one fine machine. The pre WWII Mercedes Benz 500K/540K are automotive ****.

honorable mention

Aston Martin. Doesn't need much of an explanation. Some of the most beautiful designs have come from this automaker. James Bond drives one. While I am enamored with the new Vantage, the DB5 and DB4 GT have my heart.

Last edited by Hoovey689; 05-25-18 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-25-18, 12:17 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

1. Lexus- Rock solid reliability
2. Porsche- best all round sports car, iconic
3. Mercedes Benz- Ultimate luxury combined with amazing performance
Old 05-25-18, 02:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

For us:

Toyota-you can go anywhere in the world and buy a Toyota and it will be familiar. Wide range of dealers, good reliability, good fuel consumption options, wide range of products, and you can still buy designs that used in other parts of the world such a LX Lexus or a Corolla iM that come from Japan.

Mercedes-Benz: stunning design, great quality, great level of preceived perception, wide range of dealers, same as Toyota in that you can go to pretty much any part of the world and buy one and it will familiar.

General Motors: sad that they don’t last as long as Toyota or Honda. And too bad GM is not reliable. , I have always liked the GM brand from a featured and design standpoint. My favourite cars for GM were from the 80s and early 90s. Their newer stuff I don’t like as much. I have always had a soft spot for GM. Also, it’s an American company which is important I believe to the country.
Old 05-25-18, 02:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

In TODAY's world (as opposed to that of automotive history), I'd have to go with Toyota/Lexus, Hyundai/Kia, and GM.

Toyota, from its sheer sales-volume, popularity world-wide, reputation for quality (though a number of their newer products, IMO, for different reasons, have slipped in that department), and offerings in just about every possible automotive niche you can think of, although those products are not always available in the U.S. My favorite vehicles from Toyota are the Lexus LS460 and ES350.

Hyundai/Kia, for (today, at least) essentially beating Toyota at their own game, and (today) offering the same or better build quality, with as good or better materials, that Toyota and Honda once ruled the industry with in the 1990s. Hyundai and Kia also, like Toyota, offer many different vehicles across the entire sales-niche, except, in the American market, for pickup trucks. They also substantially beat Toyota (and most other automakers) with their American-market factory warranty. My favorite products from Hyundai/Kia are the Genesis G80/G90, Kia Cadenza, and Kia K900.

Though much of their history from the 1970s through the early 2000s included a lot of poorly-built, poorly-engineered junk, I like the way that GM, particularly Buick and Chevrolet, today, has returned to much of the dedication to build quality, comfort, and detail in their vehicles that marked them in the 1950s and 1960s, even with such notorious flops as the Corvair. They don't rule the market today like they did back then (and have lost several divisions), but, since the 2008-2009 buyout, their vehicles, overall, have seen a huge improvement all around. Today, GM, IMO, with a couple of exceptions like the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Lincoln Continental, generally offers the best all-around vehicles if one wants a traditional American nameplate. It's no secret that my favorite of today's American-market GM offerings is the Buick Lacrosse, but I also have enormous respect for the post-2014 Chevrolet Impala, the last several generations of the Chevrolet Malibu, and almost all of the well-built and reliable Opel-designed small Buicks.

It also bears mention that Fiat and Renault are both huge overseas, but essentially non-players here in the American market. They could probably be ranked among the top five automakers globally, if one discounts their relative non-presence in the U.S.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-25-18 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-25-18, 02:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The Lexus LFA would be my favorite model produced by Lexus. Fathomed in a time of world recession and still brought to life despite naysayers. It's a testament to 'the automobile'. Also the glorious V10 in collaboration with Yamaha (which I also like) is unreal.
Yeah, the LFA was pretty cool. Not my favourite product from Toyota Corp I would say any MR2 was pretty amazing back in the 80s and 90s.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-25-18 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-25-18, 02:38 PM
sears1234
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Mercedes-Benz - safe, comfort and design to lots of details.
2. Lexus - if I don't want to spend too much on the cars,but still want a luxury image.
3. Ford - low maintenance, lots new technology
Old 05-25-18, 03:10 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

1) Mercedes
2) Lexus/Toyota
3) Honda
Old 05-25-18, 04:01 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

1) Toyota/Lexus: I came from a Toyota/Lexus family. Our whole family and extended family drives Toyota/Lexus. While my family specifically only drove Lexus, I have been around Toyota/Lexus my whole life. My dad's ES and my uncles Camrys are still running and they were from the 90s. Just excellent comfort, luxury, quality and reliability. There is nothing more you can ask for.
2) Nissan/Infiniti: While I have never owned a Nissan/Infiniti, I have driven tons of their vehicles and I have nothing but respect for their performance. I go to drift days with my friend's S13/S14 and track days with my friend's GTR, 300ZX, 350Z, 370Z, and G Coupe. Majority of my friends from the high school days are insane Nissan/Infiniti car-guys. They have not wronged me any way on the track and I would definitely purchase a Nissan/Infiniti as a project car.
3) Honda/Acura: Sort of the same reason as Nissan/Infiniti. I had good experiences on the track with the 1G NSX, Honda S2K, EK/EG Hatch, RSX Type S, and Integra.
Old 05-25-18, 11:21 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

#1 Toyota- I've had really exceptional service from the 4 different Toyotas I've owned. Even my beat to pieces 1993 Toyota truck I bought for $600 back in 2010 proved to be a pretty reliable truck for the 5 years/30k miles I put on it. Got in a pretty damn nasty accident in my 2004 Tacoma, did a Dale Earnhart and ran into a concrete wall almost head on at 45mph. Walked away without a scratch.

#2 Mercedes Benz- They are always pushing the cutting edge technology wise. Yeah they went through a really dark period in the 00's, but their cars are much better built now days IMO. I also like how they make work vans, taxis(for Europe and the 3rd world), semi trucks, and a lot more cheaper/economy minded cars for Europe. IE I don't feel like there is quite as much brand snobbery with Benz as there is with Porsche or BMW. Yes their luxury cars are world class, but I respect that they make cars for the working man, cars/trucks that the working man bases his livelihood on.

#3 Koenigsegg. Go watch the documentary "APEX, The story of the hypercar" on Netflix. I love the story of a car company run by one man, driven by his passion, his dream. Ferruccio Lamborghini, Enzo Ferrari, well Christian von Koenigsegg is that man for the 21st century. Main reason I admire his cars is that everything is built in house, the company builds its own engines. That is a rarity in today's exotic car market, Mr Pagani uses a Benz V12, Aston Martin also uses a Benz V8, Lamborghini uses a V10 that has been a couple different Audi products. Koeningsegg has constantly pushed the envelope on street car performance. Right now they hold the title outright for fastest production car in terms of top speed and acceleration.
Old 05-26-18, 10:54 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Porsche: Driving dynamics & desirability! Accept no substitute. Have owned mine 15 years, put 116,000 miles on it & will own it until I can no longer get in & out of it.

Lexus: Reliability & all around good design ! When the big recession hit in 2007 I sold my house & wanted to buy a new car that would last & be low maintainence cost.

Pontiac: GM Top seller in the late '60's thanks to John Z. Delorean. My 1st car was a 1971 Firebird Formula, loved the factory fiberglass hood & the 455ci underneath !

Boxster S

IS350
Old 05-26-18, 12:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

I don't really have 3 'top automakers' pretty much all of them do things well and poorly. I like and don't like specific models.

porsche makes some amazing cars, but many with gigantic wings on the back are stupid to me, unless you want a car you plan to use on a track, a LOT.

lexus has wonderful quality, and many good design elements, but many minuses (infotainment, design elements, option configs, some ancient platforms).

i'd love an aston martin, but likely not happening.

ford makes great trucks, but craptastic sedans and utes except the new amazing navigator.

on and on...
Old 05-26-18, 12:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
ford makes great trucks, but craptastic sedans and UTES except the new amazing navigator.
I'm surprised you would say that, given your (previous) ownership of an Explorer, and (apparent) general satisfaction with it.

And, as far as sedans go, the Fusion is a pretty darn good one. In fact, in some ways, it drives as good or better than its upmarket Lincoln MKZ cousin....though the new MKZ's re-fresh easily beats the Fusion's looks.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-26-18 at 12:40 PM.
Old 05-26-18, 01:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm surprised you would say that, given your (previous) ownership of an Explorer, and (apparent) general satisfaction with it.
that was then... my 2006 explorer was decent for its time. The next and current gen explorer is horrible imo. Massive vehicle with little space, visibility like a cruise ship. Um, no. Flex ancient. Edge barely ok. Escape, nothing special. Expedition i'm sure is good given that it's a sibling to navigator. ...
Old 05-26-18, 02:42 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

1. Toyota/Lexus. Design can be debatable, but for reliability/longevity and overall cost of ownership I would rate them #1
2. Honda/Acura. Yes, they've had their problems (transmissions, etc.), but unlike some other manufacturers they pretty much owned up to it and made repairs as necessary. No manufacturer is immune to issues - Toyota's sludge problems, for example.
3. Ford- Basically for their trucks. Family members have them and they really do keep going, and seem to be a step above their competition. They also have some very nice cars- too bad they're thinking of killing them off in the next few years. Maybe as gas prices go up they will re-think their position.
Old 05-26-18, 04:03 PM
monkey92
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

1) Toyota/Lexus- Being a 25 year old and not having big pockets, its a no brainer to like a company that can offer a car that isnt going to be in the shop all the time. Plus their trucks and SUVs are in every corner of the world and in some of the most remote places, that is impressive.
2) Nissan- Ive never owned one in my life, but like stated above, in high school has had friend with S chassis and they are very capable and fun cars. One of my favorite cars would be the Datsun 240z. The lines on that car is one of the best IMO.
3) Porsche- Growing up Ive I never really drooled over Ferraris and Lambos, however the Porsche 911s were more of the poster car in my wall and would like to someday own one.

Quick Reply: What are your top 3 Automakers?