LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS400 or LS430??????

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-18, 06:29 PM
steelers6
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default LS400 or LS430??????

I was really leaning towards the LS400 but the LS430 seems really good also,what do you guys think???
Old 05-19-18, 09:38 PM
WaveRunner
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last year I picked up a 1998 LS400. I could have got a 2001 LS430. I know the LS430 is widely praised and is an improvement on the LS400 but I simply can not stand how it looks. The 2004+ update did a good job of improving design but the 2001-03 really looks like a grandma car. It is tall like an Avalon. The LS400 is far better looking. It has a lower stance and more stately and elegant exterior design. I believe it has also reached vintage/classic car status but the 98+ front end keep it modern especially with HID xenon headlamps. That finally edged out my decision making. The LS430 does have a nicer interior though. I also considered an E38 7-Series and W140 S-Class, the latter being one of my favorite designs of all time. I worried both would give me continuous headaches. I have the April 1998 issue of Car And Driver where the LS400 was first place in a comparison with the S320, A8, XJ8, and 740iL.
Another factor is that I have another car. If I was to only own one I would have considered the LS430 more seriously simply because it is newer. I bought an LS400 because I admire 90's luxury sedans and I really believe it is the best looking Lexus ever made. Mine is Atlantis Blue. I still get looks. If I had an LS430 no one would pay any attention to it. Toyota has a rich history of introducing a newer model that looks either uglier or more dated than the model it replaces. Think of the 2012 Camry or the 2013 Lexus GS exteriors.
In the end it will be up to what you need out of the car. Is this going to be a family car driven daily or a secondary car? Are you a casual driver or a car enthusiast?
Old 05-19-18, 10:30 PM
4litre
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Drive both and see how you feel about them. Make a choice after. I'm content with my '98 LS. In a few years, I'll eventually get a 430 due to depreciation and they'll be cheaper to buy😆
Old 05-19-18, 10:34 PM
eddievegas
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I prefer the '98-'00 LS 400's styling over the LS 430 which is why I patiently looked for the LS 400 I currently have.

If I had found the right (color, price, provenance, condition, maintenance history) LS 430 first, I would have happily bought that as I think both are fine cars.

While the LS 430 has a few more bells and whistles than the LS 400, what I was not getting with the LS 400 was perfectly okay.

Good luck,

Eddie
Old 05-20-18, 04:09 AM
VortecCPI
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just traded my 1995 LS400 for a 2002 LS430. Both cars are in excellent condition with the exact same tires. There is just no comparison between the LS400 and LS430 in terms of ride quality. The LS430 is faster, quieter, smoother, and handles better. My old LS400 had like-new shocks and suspension components were in great condition yet the LS430 is so much better it was hard for me to believe.

What don't I like? I prefer the old LS body style. The old LS leather seems more robust but the new LS leather is more comfy. The new drivetrain requires a little more more input but I got used to it very quickly. The engine compartment is boring to look at. The wonderful 1UZ song at the top end is now gone. First Aid kit is now located in trunk -- Very silly place if you are in a wreck and stuck in the car. Plastic head lamps and plastic-chrome trim.

What do I like? Much larger trunk. Much more torque at every engine speed. Super ECT tranny is marvelous and while the old LS shifted crazy-smooth this one can not be felt at all. Super ECT downshifts when you tap the brakes going downhill. Interior drawers and compartments are superior in design. Sound system in LS430 is far superior to that of LS400. CD changer is now in convenient location at center counsel. Automatic wipers work great. The other day I was driving in the rain testing them. It stopped raining for a bit and when it started again they just came on. I am NOT one for gizmos but this one actually works and works very well.

Also... Though the old LS400 was in excellent condition some of the interior glue was starting to degrade and the stitching at the top of the rear seats finally pulled tight and broke. ECU capacitors recently failed. Radio display failed long ago. Gauge needles became sticky.

If you drive the LS430 for any period of time like I did you will buy it. The more I drove it the more I had to have it. I got over the body style pretty quickly...

Have you driven both back to back on the exact same stretch of roads?

More here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...002-ls430.html

Last edited by VortecCPI; 05-20-18 at 04:39 AM.
Old 05-20-18, 04:30 AM
VortecCPI
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Some newer pictures of the LS430... Still has nice simple interior like the old LS400...

Old 05-20-18, 09:22 AM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

If you do get an LS430, get the 04-06 version. I can't stand the looks of the 01-03, plus I think they have a 6spd auto trans, so you'll get better highway fuel economy. You also get LED tailights and projector HID headlights as standard on the 04-06.
Old 05-20-18, 10:07 AM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Is the LS430 as reliable as the LS400? I ask as I may someday be in this boat too......
Old 05-20-18, 10:13 AM
steelers6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
If you do get an LS430, get the 04-06 version. I can't stand the looks of the 01-03, plus I think they have a 6spd auto trans, so you'll get better highway fuel economy. You also get LED tailights and projector HID headlights as standard on the 04-06.
The LS430 looks soooooooo comfortable,but I heard the LS400 is just as comfortable too, decisions, decisions...
Old 05-20-18, 10:22 AM
steelers6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by WaveRunner
Last year I picked up a 1998 LS400. I could have got a 2001 LS430. I know the LS430 is widely praised and is an improvement on the LS400 but I simply can not stand how it looks. The 2004+ update did a good job of improving design but the 2001-03 really looks like a grandma car. It is tall like an Avalon. The LS400 is far better looking. It has a lower stance and more stately and elegant exterior design. I believe it has also reached vintage/classic car status but the 98+ front end keep it modern especially with HID xenon headlamps. That finally edged out my decision making. The LS430 does have a nicer interior though. I also considered an E38 7-Series and W140 S-Class, the latter being one of my favorite designs of all time. I worried both would give me continuous headaches. I have the April 1998 issue of Car And Driver where the LS400 was first place in a comparison with the S320, A8, XJ8, and 740iL.
Another factor is that I have another car. If I was to only own one I would have considered the LS430 more seriously simply because it is newer. I bought an LS400 because I admire 90's luxury sedans and I really believe it is the best looking Lexus ever made. Mine is Atlantis Blue. I still get looks. If I had an LS430 no one would pay any attention to it. Toyota has a rich history of introducing a newer model that looks either uglier or more dated than the model it replaces. Think of the 2012 Camry or the 2013 Lexus GS exteriors.
In the end it will be up to what you need out of the car. Is this going to be a family car driven daily or a secondary car? Are you a casual driver or a car enthusiast?
Im a casual driver not an enthusiast,I have a 96 S420 which is the most POWERFUL and most COMFORTABLE car I've ever driven and I have a Honda Accord that I'll give to my wife as her second car,so the Lexus would be my second car that I would drive most of the time,appreciate the feedback man...

Last edited by steelers6; 05-20-18 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-20-18, 07:50 PM
WaveRunner
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by steelers6
Im a casual driver not an enthusiast,I have a 96 S420 which is the most POWERFUL and most COMFORTABLE car I've ever driven and I have a Honda Accord that I'll give to my wife as her second car,so the Lexus would be my second car that I would drive most of the time,appreciate the feedback man...
Whatever car you choose remember these are older cars and will require upkeep. Don't expect Corolla low level maintenance. Yes they are generally reliable but you will be putting money into an LS over 10 years old. OEM parts aren't cheap either. In the last year I changed the starter (not DIY friendly at all, took 5 hours labor by mechanic), power steering rack, brake calipers, strut rods (bad bushings), among other things that commonly go bad with an LS400. Two weeks ago I had the check engine light and VSC light appear and a loss of acceleration power. Turned the car off and back on and the warning lights remained but the power was fully restored. The next day everything was back to normal with no warning lights with no problems since. It is likely the throttle lever sensor (accelerator pedal position sensor). I bought one on standby in case the problem comes back again. Like I said, older car, older sensors and parts that wear from age. I believe you will spend less annually than a flagship German sedan however. There's a saying that only a rich man drives an older Mercedes or BMW, but I think it can be said about an LS as well. Also if you do go LS400, I strongly recommend the 98+ due to added safety of stability control and side airbags, both standard. Also the front of the 98+ looks significantly more modern than the pre-update. But the 95-97 still have a strong fan following and are fine cars. Also, you may be tempted by the Nakamichi sound system but I advise going for the stock which is made by Pioneer. The right channel (meaning the right side speakers) will intermittently go out which is maddening because it sounds so great when all are working. This is a common problem with the Nakamichi head units. I hate the idea of replacing the unit because I like the factory look but if the problem becomes permanent I will have no other option. Find an LS in good condition and care for it and it will serve you well. It drives like a palace on wheels.

Last edited by WaveRunner; 05-20-18 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-20-18, 08:13 PM
steelers6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by WaveRunner
Whatever car you choose remember these are older cars and will require upkeep. Don't expect Corolla low level maintenance. Yes they are generally reliable but you will be putting money into an LS over 10 years old. OEM parts aren't cheap either. In the last year I changed the starter (not DIY friendly at all, took 5 hours labor by mechanic), power steering rack, brake calipers, strut rods (bad bushings), among other things that commonly go bad with an LS400. Two weeks ago I had the check engine light and VSC light appear and a loss of acceleration power. Turned the car off and back on and the warning lights remained but the power was fully restored. The next day everything was back to normal with no warning lights with no problems since. It is likely the throttle lever sensor (accelerator pedal position sensor). I bought one on standby in case the problem comes back again. Like I said, older car, older sensors and parts that wear from age. I believe you will spend less annually than a flagship German sedan however. There's a saying that only a rich man drives an older Mercedes or BMW, but I think it can be said about an LS as well. Also if you do go LS400, I strongly recommend the 98+ due to added safety of stability control and side airbags, both standard. Also the front of the 98+ looks significantly more modern than the pre-update. But the 95-97 still have a strong fan following and are fine cars. Also, you may be tempted by the Nakamichi sound system but I advise going for the stock which is made by Pioneer. The right channel (meaning the right side speakers) will intermittently go out which is maddening because it sounds so great when all are working. This is a common problem with the Nakamichi head units. I hate the idea of replacing the unit because I like the factory look but if the problem becomes permanent I will have no other option. Find an LS in good condition and care for it and it will serve you well. It drives like a palace on wheels.
Oh I know all to well about older foreign cars my 96 S420 is not a cheap fix at all,but I LOVE that car,the 98-2000 LS400 is definitely what I would buy,but I'll give the LS430 a chance also,thanks a lot man greatly appreciated...
Old 05-21-18, 12:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Having had both when they were new...

The LS430 is softer, but handling wise the LS400 handles much better... I would rate the LS400 overall as more satisfying to drive. Both our 98 LS400 and our 04 LS430 had the air suspension (very rare on the 400, less rare on the 430). The 430 feels notably larger inside, and looks wise it looks much more upright. I think the 98-00 LS400 is much better looking than the 01-03 LS430 (which we actually bought the lease out of the 98 400 to avoid buying because of styling), with the 04-06 they solved almost all the styling issues with the 01-03, but its not as "classic" a design as the LS400 if that makes sense. Inside the LS400 is more elegant, but the LS430 is more comfortable, and is better equipped.

Looking back I miss the LS400 from time to time, and I still admire them on the road, and consider buying one for a fun nostalgic third car but I don't miss the LS430, nor would I ever have any interest in buying one again.

Originally Posted by VortecCPI
I just traded my 1995 LS400 for a 2002 LS430. Both cars are in excellent condition with the exact same tires. There is just no comparison between the LS400 and LS430 in terms of ride quality. The LS430 is faster, quieter, smoother, and handles better. My old LS400 had like-new shocks and suspension components were in great condition yet the LS430 is so much better it was hard for me to believe.

What do I like? Much larger trunk. Much more torque at every engine speed. Super ECT tranny is marvelous and while the old LS shifted crazy-smooth this one can not be felt at all. Super ECT downshifts when you tap the brakes going downhill. Interior drawers and compartments are superior in design. Sound system in LS430 is far superior to that of LS400. CD changer is now in convenient location at center counsel. Automatic wipers work great. The other day I was driving in the rain testing them. It stopped raining for a bit and when it started again they just came on. I am NOT one for gizmos but this one actually works and works very well.
I think that a lot of those differences noted have to do with your LS400 being a 95 vs a 98-00. In 98 they got the better VVT-I motor, the much improved 5 speed transmission. A lot of the interior appointments were improved, leather was improved, the wood/leather wheel and shift **** and the little strip under the vents I think had a big impact. Audio system I have never had an audio system as good as the Nakamichi stereo in the 98 LS400, including the Mark Levinson in the LS430, and the Mark Levinson Reference system in my LS460L.

Ride was also improved in 1998, the chassis was stiffened which improved handling also, the addition of acoustic glass came in 1998 which made the car quieter. I have not driven an LS400 in many years, but I remember driving 97 LS400s when we had the 98 LS400 (we had one as a loaner once, and we drove a couple used before we chose to get the 98 new) and I remember the 98 being a significantly better ride and drive.

In 2001 comparing our then 3 year old LS400 to a brand new LS430 in our opinion there was no compelling reason to upgrade to a car we didn't like the looks of, so we just kept the 98.
Old 05-21-18, 12:16 PM
steelers6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Having had both when they were new...

The LS430 is softer, but handling wise the LS400 handles much better... I would rate the LS400 overall as more satisfying to drive. Both our 98 LS400 and our 04 LS430 had the air suspension (very rare on the 400, less rare on the 430). The 430 feels notably larger inside, and looks wise it looks much more upright. I think the 98-00 LS400 is much better looking than the 01-03 LS430 (which we actually bought the lease out of the 98 400 to avoid buying because of styling), with the 04-06 they solved almost all the styling issues with the 01-03, but its not as "classic" a design as the LS400 if that makes sense. Inside the LS400 is more elegant, but the LS430 is more comfortable, and is better equipped.

Looking back I miss the LS400 from time to time, and I still admire them on the road, and consider buying one for a fun nostalgic third car but I don't miss the LS430, nor would I ever have any interest in buying one again.

I think that a lot of those differences noted have to do with your LS400 being a 95 vs a 98-00. In 98 they got the better VVT-I motor, the much improved 5 speed transmission. A lot of the interior appointments were improved, leather was improved, the wood/leather wheel and shift **** and the little strip under the vents I think had a big impact. Audio system I have never had an audio system as good as the Nakamichi stereo in the 98 LS400, including the Mark Levinson in the LS430, and the Mark Levinson Reference system in my LS460L.

Ride was also improved in 1998, the chassis was stiffened which improved handling also, the addition of acoustic glass came in 1998 which made the car quieter. I have not driven an LS400 in many years, but I remember driving 97 LS400s when we had the 98 LS400 (we had one as a loaner once, and we drove a couple used before we chose to get the 98 new) and I remember the 98 being a significantly better ride and drive.

In 2001 comparing our then 3 year old LS400 to a brand new LS430 in our opinion there was no compelling reason to upgrade to a car we didn't like the looks of, so we just kept the 98.
Seems like the overall better car might just be the LS400,both seem like really great cars though...
Old 05-21-18, 12:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by steelers6
Seems like the overall better car might just be the LS400,both seem like really great cars though...
The 430 is bigger, better equipped. Maybe its just that for me the LS400 is special and the LS430 is not...

Quick Reply: LS400 or LS430??????