LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

X M Radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-18, 03:55 PM
lex442
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default X M Radio

I have a 2008 LS 460 with about 80k miles on it. Bought the car new. I am having a problem with my X M Radio cutting off at times. It will give me an error message saying "antenna". I can cut the radio off and the X M doesn't come back on. Now the very strange thing that has me very confused is if I cut the engine off and restart the car the X M comes back on. So my next step was to replace the roof top mounted antenna which by no means is inexpensive, thinking that was the problem and it did the same thing. I have a Pioneer tuner in the trunk area and I pulled it out and unplugged the 4 connectors and reconnected them. Thought maybe something could be loose there. But the problem still exist but it will always come back on after shutting off the ignition and restarting the car. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-16-18, 06:09 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Just a guess, but I'd bet that the aftermarket Pioneer unit is the cause of the problem.
Old 05-16-18, 06:54 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 145 Posts

My 08’s sat reception goes off intermittently showing “no signal”. Then comes back on.

stock oem nav radio. No ml.
Old 05-17-18, 07:27 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

A while back, my sat was being intermittent and switching channels, flipping to FM, trying cd's and going back to sat didn't help. I got to my destination and when I got back in the car and started it, the sat played perfect. My thought is, when I start my car in the garage, sometimes the sat signal is weak. Depending on how it is upon starting the car will determine the connection (well that's my theory). Case in point. Last week I was pulling out of my garage and the sat was doing that intermittent crap. I backed up enough to clear the garage, put the car in park and shut it down. Restarted and it was perfect. Not sure this is your exact situation, but who knows.
Old 05-17-18, 09:08 AM
lex442
Rookie

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Just a guess, but I'd bet that the aftermarket Pioneer unit is the cause of the problem.
This unit came with the car. I have done no modifications to it. But like you I believe this might be the source on the problem. I guess I will have to take it in to the dealership and get them to check it out.

Old 05-17-18, 10:04 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 145 Posts

Anyone else’s sat radio intermittent?
Old 05-17-18, 11:21 AM
jmcraney

Received 255 Likes on 195 Posts

The XM and Sirius signals originate from geostationary satellites that fly at an altitude of 24,000 miles over the equator. Some areas also have terrestrial based repeaters. The look angles to the satellites vary widely depending on your location. Getting a reliable signal from one of the satellites requires a clear line-of-sight from your antenna to the satellite. The system is not intended to operate in garages, under bridges, in canyons, under trees, between buildings, in tunnels, or anywhere that the line-of-sight would be obstructed. The frequency, mid S Band, passes through clouds and rain adequately for reliable operation.
Old 05-18-18, 09:53 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Pioneer makes a lot of OE components for our cars as well as many other manufacturers. That pic is OEM.
Old 05-18-18, 01:35 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Pioneer makes a lot of OE components for our cars as well as many other manufacturers. That pic is OEM.
I did not know that. When the OP said Pioneer I assumed it was aftermarket.

Well lex442, please let us know what the dealer says.
Old 05-18-18, 03:34 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by lex442
I have a 2008 LS 460 with about 80k miles on it. Bought the car new. I am having a problem with my X M Radio cutting off at times. It will give me an error message saying "antenna". I can cut the radio off and the X M doesn't come back on. Now the very strange thing that has me very confused is if I cut the engine off and restart the car the X M comes back on. So my next step was to replace the roof top mounted antenna which by no means is inexpensive, thinking that was the problem and it did the same thing. I have a Pioneer tuner in the trunk area and I pulled it out and unplugged the 4 connectors and reconnected them. Thought maybe something could be loose there. But the problem still exist but it will always come back on after shutting off the ignition and restarting the car. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
i believe you are telling us you have an OEM radio system with XM.
For some reason, many older OEM XM radios have poor reception. Not Lexus but using as an example for your problem.
i had a 2007 Civic and have a 2008 Accord, both with XM Navi systems.
they both loose signal at the same location everytime. It’s very annoying. I think the spot beam from the satellite is weak in those areas.

i have a Lexus SC430with an aftermarket Pioneer and it does not cut out in the same areas as my OEM Honda’s. The receiver or antenna may be more sensitive vs the OEM radios.

did you replace the antenna? I could not tell if you said you did or were thinking about it.
i was going suggest you obtain an aftermarket xm antenna from someone or eBay and give it a try. The connectors might be the same.

the connector looks like the picture. Make sure the OEM radio has a similar connector. If so, give it a try.

Last edited by Bgw70; 05-27-18 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-20-18, 04:49 PM
lex442
Rookie

Yes the roof top antenna was the very first thing I replaced and that did not resolve my problem. As I stated before I can just be driving along and the xm radio just cuts off. I can stop the car in the very same location it is stopped working in ,then cut the engine off and restart it and the xm radio starts to work. Now that is what has me confused. It is as if restarting the car makes it work again. I would think that a defective component once it stops working would not just start back up when the engine is turn off and then turned back on. Now once this happens the am/fm still works. I am not getting a block signal because of trees,in the garage or under the bridge. What I am getting is an error message"Antenna" not "Signal.
Also once I get the error message I have tried to just cut power to the radio off and back on but the xm wont come back on,only if I shut off the ignition and restart.
Old 05-20-18, 06:08 PM
jmcraney

Received 255 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by lex442
Yes the roof top antenna was the very first thing I replaced and that did not resolve my problem. As I stated before I can just be driving along and the xm radio just cuts off. I can stop the car in the very same location it is stopped working in ,then cut the engine off and restart it and the xm radio starts to work. Now that is what has me confused. It is as if restarting the car makes it work again. I would think that a defective component once it stops working would not just start back up when the engine is turn off and then turned back on. Now once this happens the am/fm still works. I am not getting a block signal because of trees,in the garage or under the bridge. What I am getting is an error message"Antenna" not "Signal.
Also once I get the error message I have tried to just cut power to the radio off and back on but the xm wont come back on,only if I shut off the ignition and restart.
A common cause of dropouts like you are experiencing is interference from cell phone sites. I have posted about this before in this forum.

The internet has lots of information about this, going back 3 or 4 years. I don't think that this has been resolved yet.

Here are a couple of links that might give you some insight:

http://wirelessestimator.com/article...tion-proposal/

http://www.insideradio.com/free/siri...dd62c07af.html

Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
lex442 (05-21-18)
Old 05-22-18, 05:57 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Caflashbob
Anyone else’s sat radio intermittent?
Mine sort of... just parts I know where there is a lot of trees... Some areas on rt 95 in CT... I'll lose it for about 10 seconds when doing 75mph.. (longer if slower)…

Dam trees... Never an issue during winter time..
Old 05-23-18, 08:41 AM
qtrung909
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine also cuts off at certain places for a bit. It happens in my wife's Prius as well, I always assumed low signal strength is what cuts it out. I deal with it but it has been getting worse as of late.
Old 05-23-18, 08:52 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Mine cuts out all the time in my 2013. It is the worst car I have ever owned in regards to XM reception. My previous car and my wife's current Acura MDX are almost perfect for reception. I have the ML stereo, but not sure that makes any difference. The reception is so bad that I am considering cancelling the Sirius/XM subscription. If there is any easy diagnosis that can be done I would like to know.

Quick Reply: X M Radio