How Low can you go?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-18, 11:39 AM
FNSSESPORT
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
Default How Low can you go?

Het CL,
I’ve searched, and there are a lot of questions on lowering, but I couldnt find an answer to this specific question:
How low can you lower an IS-F before the camber is out of spec and you can’t adjust the toe into spec anymore?
i’ m going to install a set of coilovers next weekend, and although I’ve already purchased the FIGS Mega Arms, I’d rather not install them if I dont have to (probably should have asked this question before purchasing them!). The reason I’d rather not install them seems a little counterintuitive - it’s because of all the adjustability they offer. I feel the more adjustability, the more you have to fiddle and constantly ensure things stay where you (or the alignment shop) put them. Basically its more maintenance. I want to lower the car 1.25” to 1.5” on all for corners, and I’d love to be able to do this while maintaining the factory control arms and still being able to be within factory toe and camber specs (though i realize I may be all the way on one end or the other of that spec). Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
-R
Old 05-07-18, 01:58 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

If you have such little faith in your adjustable parts that you believe that their installation causes you to "constantly ensure things stay where you (or the alignment shop) put them", why on earth would you buy them??
The following users liked this post:
jdmSW20 (05-08-18)
Old 05-07-18, 04:42 PM
FNSSESPORT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tas02
If you have such little faith in your adjustable parts that you believe that their installation causes you to "constantly ensure things stay where you (or the alignment shop) put them", why on earth would you buy them??
1) Because I'm a car part addict. Just. Can't. Stop. Buying. Parts.
2) It's not that I have "little faith" but I like keeping things as OEM as possible, so if I can get away keeping the stock LCA's, after thinking about it, I would rather do that.
3) Maybe "constantly" was a little exaggerative, but the more "moving pieces" you have, the more frequently you should probably check them. Add to that, the fact that 'm not the final person torquing everything down, the alignment shop is.
4) I like numbered lists.
Old 05-08-18, 02:08 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

I had a reputable shop install coilovers (used ohlins 12/16) on my mm 2008 about a year ago. A nearby (reputable) shop did an alignment which included setting the ride height & corner balancing. I wasn't particularly interested in lowering, however, the alignment shop did end up lowering the ride height. It looked so cool i didn't mind. They also provided a complete printout of the new alignment settings, which looked great. At this time, I also upgraded my wheel/tire combo. from stock a/s to square 265/35 MPSS on 18 x 9.5 +45 Volks ze40's. The RR USRS & Figs front lca bushes were the only other suspension mods installed.

I've put about 5k mi. on this setup in a fast growing metro area (crappy roads), and can't say enough good things about it. There is a section of concrete freeway in the center of Seattle (currently being repaved) with expansion joints that would rattle coins in the center console with the stock 2008 suspension (55k mi.). Didn't matter how fast you went, you got a castenet solo. But lowered with the extra sidewall there's nothing but confidence inducing compliance. No coins rattling regardless of speed. In the brief time with this setup, there's been no evidence of increased tire wear (I bought 'em used!), the car tracs straight as an arrow, and it turns in nicely. The is no evidence that the coilovers have somehow worked their way out of adjustment. It actually eggs you on to go faster. In fact, it behaves so well (& so well mannered) that I've purchased all of the adjustable arms & end links, along with an adjustable front anti-roll bar, which are all currently awaiting installation.

Based on the above, my advice to you is to install as many of the adjustable aftermarket parts as you have at the same time, since multiple installations of adjustable parts may require multiple alignments. The Figs end links & Mega Arms have exactly the same number of "moving parts" as the oem links & arms (one), and like oem, they won't come out of adjustment on their own if correctly installed.

Don't be an addict who's afraid to use.

Last edited by tas02; 05-08-18 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Added info.
Old 05-08-18, 03:43 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

In short: Ask this question ("How Low can you go...) of the professional who's adjusting your ride height. It's why i use install shop next door to alignment shop, even though it's hrs. & a ferry trip away from home. And bring along the Mega Arms so they can use 'em if needed, it's great that you have 'em already.

Edit: That is one amazing TRD wing on your Isf. I am envious.

Last edited by tas02; 05-08-18 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-08-18, 07:10 PM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts

Lowering the front and staying with the factory camber specs is impossible as we have zero camber adjustability from the factory on the front so, you would just have to deal with the natural camber or stay at the stock height if you want to retain the stock camber specs.
As far as Toe goes that should be adjustable regardless of the height. 1.25" isn't insane to the point where the stock rods couldn't get back to factory spec although, I can't confirm this. I would put the MegaArms on since you already have them and they're a better designed part than the stock, not to mention a number of things could knock your alignment out of whatever desired spec you get it in regardless of having the MegaArms or the stock parts. Mike from FIGS will have some solid info and guidance on this so I would ask him to be sure.
Old 05-08-18, 07:36 PM
FNSSESPORT
Lead Lap

Thanks for the feedback guys, it's appreciated.

The Figs end links & Mega Arms have exactly the same number of "moving parts" as the oem links & arms (one), and like oem, they won't come out of adjustment on their own if correctly installed.
Don't be an addict who's afraid to use.
Not exactly. The FIGS are adjustable at the hub end (hub eccentric bolt), at the shock mount, and chassis mount (OEM bolt is hub eccentric as well). But you guys have probably convinced me to just install them. I'll be doing the install myself, and I'll just need to find the appropriate alignment shop. Corner balancing doesn't seem like a bad idea at this point.

Edit: That is one amazing TRD wing on your Isf. I am envious.
Don't be envious, just talk to @ JohnMorgan, he'll hook you up
Old 05-09-18, 05:27 AM
FNSSESPORT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FNSSESPORT
Not exactly. The FIGS are adjustable at the hub end (hub eccentric bolt), at the shock mount, and chassis mount (OEM bolt is hub eccentric as well).
Correction, the chassis bolt isn’t eccentric, I was thinking of the toe links. So its just the shock mount and hub mount that are adjustable.
Old 05-09-18, 01:53 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FNSSESPORT
Thanks for the feedback guys, it's appreciated.

Not exactly. The FIGS are adjustable at the hub end (hub eccentric bolt), at the shock mount, and chassis mount (OEM bolt is hub eccentric as well). But you guys have probably convinced me to just install them. I'll be doing the install myself, and I'll just need to find the appropriate alignment shop. Corner balancing doesn't seem like a bad idea at this point.

Don't be envious, just talk to @ JohnMorgan, he'll hook you up
^^^^^^
No thanks very much. My suspension setup provides enough enough mechanical grip that I don't have to resort to installing wings and lips which, though oem, will never be considered stealthy.
Old 05-09-18, 06:01 PM
FNSSESPORT
Lead Lap

wings and lips which, though oem, will never be considered stealthy.
Aside from being black, pretty much the opposite of stealthy.
Old 05-09-18, 06:34 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnMorgan
Lowering the front and staying with the factory camber specs is impossible as we have zero camber adjustability from the factory on the front so, you would just have to deal with the natural camber or stay at the stock height if you want to retain the stock camber specs.
As far as Toe goes that should be adjustable regardless of the height. 1.25" isn't insane to the point where the stock rods couldn't get back to factory spec although, I can't confirm this. I would put the MegaArms on since you already have them and they're a better designed part than the stock, not to mention a number of things could knock your alignment out of whatever desired spec you get it in regardless of having the MegaArms or the stock parts. Mike from FIGS will have some solid info and guidance on this so I would ask him to be sure.

Actually this is surprisingly incorrect. After lowering my F on RR Racing coils, my camber was EXACTLY the same before and after the install and perfectly in spec. Who knew...These cars handle lowering really well and do not need aftermarket parts to get back into alignment. Everything else is within spec as well.

Old 05-09-18, 07:33 PM
FNSSESPORT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jz39
Actually this is surprisingly incorrect. After lowering my F on RR Racing coils, my camber was EXACTLY the same before and after the install and perfectly in spec. Who knew...These cars handle lowering really well and do not need aftermarket parts to get back into alignment. Everything else is within spec as well.
Out of curiosity, how much did you lower your car?
Old 05-09-18, 09:11 PM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Im lowered on Swift springs, and needed adjustable camber arms to get back into spec
Old 05-10-18, 03:43 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Lowered this much.

Old 05-10-18, 08:24 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 260 Likes on 158 Posts

I'm maybe an inch lower and only have coilovers. My alignment isn't too aggressive. I guess to have perfect specs the additional components would help but I put about 25k on my last set of tires and still had plenty of life left in the rear and the fronts had maybe another 5k. Could have had even more if I could swap the tires side to side, but they were the conti dws06. I am not too low as I daily it in Baltimore, and have taken it to autox, drag strip, and even FL just in the past month. Rides great.

I'm the opposite and do fiddle with ride height and dampening. I switched from stock wheels to an aftermarket 19" set and now down to aftermarket 18" set. Each time had to adjust the coils just a tad to avoid rubbing or bottoming out. I don't know how to install them(great shop did it), but height and dampening is very easy to do.

Quick Reply: How Low can you go?