ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Sudden Power Loss, ABS Light, Traction Control Light

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-18, 12:25 PM
Parson
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sudden Power Loss, ABS Light, Traction Control Light

Hey everybody!!

So I am having another small problem with my 1998 ES300. The car has 225k miles on it but is in excellent condition and has been babied every since it was purchased. My small problem is this: occasionally the radio will suddenly lose power and then immediately regain power, ABS light will turn on, and Traction Control light will start blinking. This usually happens all at the same time. I have an aftermarket radio but it has never had this problem until recently. At first, just the ABS and Traction Control light would blink but after about a week of that happening, the radio would start losing power as well. I have noticed that whenever the radio loses power, it immediately regains power, and as it does the ABS and Traction light start to do their thing. Sometimes the dash lights go dim as well.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but this sounds like I need a new alternator right? The alternator is currently stock from the factory so it has seen some mileage. I would like to say thank you in advance to anyone who replies!

NOTE: I recently rebuilt my transmission so at first I thought that I messed up an ABS sensor when I removed the axles to get the transmission out. But now I am thinking it is an alternator due to the radio losing power as well. Any advice/help is greatly appreciated. These forums never let me down.

Thanks all!
Old 04-26-18, 01:50 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Get the alternator load tested same with the battery. Make certain the battery posts and terminals are clean and in good condition, don't go by how they look clean the posts with a maroon Scotch-Brite pad. If the terminals are crusty soak in baking soda for a few hours.