GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What to do with my beauty

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-18, 01:24 PM
IBeBofa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do with my beauty

I have a beautiful 1998 black on black lex gs400 that has been so good to me and as much as I have dreamt to updating it with mods that I have seen from this community, I have kept it vanilla. With that said, never had any problems with it but mechanic says I need to fix a leak and would need to drop at least 3g on it and have to eventually update belts which would probably another 2g. I just cant put in the money. Obviously, understand I can try to sell or donate if necessary, but wanted to reach out to anyone in this community to see if there was another option that would benefit someone or gauge level interest in purchasing. I live in dc area so hit me up if you have any questions or interesting in purchasing. I will update with photos, but other than leak and minor cosmetics, car in great shape. No accidents or major issues to engine or body.
Old 04-24-18, 01:51 PM
MedicalDoc
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

What type of leak? Are you referring to tb, serpentine,..? Any codes?
Old 04-24-18, 02:57 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by IBeBofa
I have a beautiful 1998 black on black lex gs400 that has been so good to me and as much as I have dreamt to updating it with mods that I have seen from this community, I have kept it vanilla. With that said, never had any problems with it but mechanic says I need to fix a leak and would need to drop at least 3g on it and have to eventually update belts which would probably another 2g. I just cant put in the money. Obviously, understand I can try to sell or donate if necessary, but wanted to reach out to anyone in this community to see if there was another option that would benefit someone or gauge level interest in purchasing. I live in dc area so hit me up if you have any questions or interesting in purchasing. I will update with photos, but other than leak and minor cosmetics, car in great shape. No accidents or major issues to engine or body.
you won't be able to sell for good money while having a serious oil leak and timing belt service undone. No one will spend $4k (for example) on a car then turn around and spend $5k for repairs.
Old 04-24-18, 05:36 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

How many miles? I would find a reputable indy and do the work in stages. Start with the most important first which is probably the oil leak. $3k is way too high it needs to be more like $1k. Depending on the miles you can wait on the timing belt they can last a while in these cars.
Old 04-25-18, 12:58 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

cam leak is a big expense, mines well do the tb also before it takes out your alternator, tell me how i know.
Old 05-16-18, 08:10 PM
IBeBofa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the delay on responding, broken foot has slowed things down quite a bit. The car has 170K. This is what I got from my mechanic for repairs needed:

1) P/S pump, high pressure hose and suction hose is leaking alot
2) Both upper ball joints are bad
3) valve cover gasket is leaking alot
4) All fluids and filters are very dirty and no P/S fluid left in car
5) Needs alignment and two tires.

Thoughts on cost and if people think it is worth fixing in order to keep running and using?
Old 05-17-18, 06:48 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

I’m going to guess $1k for everything, but first find a reputable Indy that works on these cars. Start with the power steering pump first because the leak is right over the alternator and if you don’t address it you’ll have to replace that, too. Next up are the ball joints and lastly the valve cover gaskets. Yes, it will smoke but I drove mine like that for a while before I had mine done. You were right where I was several years ago and I thought about trading it then I thought what if I bite the bullet and keep her? I’m glad I did. After those things were fixed she’s been ultra reliable. Btw, I had to replace my p/s pump AND alternator which is why I mentioned it. Don’t let it go too long.
Old 05-17-18, 09:48 AM
GS34B
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Way too much $$ for either of those quoted repairs... Run away from that shop.