RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Borla questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-18, 08:02 PM
GOT8SPD
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Borla questions

Is the borla exhaust a resonated system? If so, how does it sound without resonator and would that affect perfromance?
Old 04-21-18, 08:25 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

This has been discussed before.

A couple of points that came up.
You cut the resonator, your borla warranty is void.
Why don't you install it first and see how you like the sound. You could always cut them out later. Seems like most people love the sound the way it is. Cutting resonator might lead to drone and maybe too loud making your Bluetooth for phone useless

I don't think anyone has done this. No one has even tried to swap out the tips.
The following 2 users liked this post by LXSDO:
GunnyFitz (04-24-18), sheyme (04-22-18)
Old 04-21-18, 09:45 PM
08sgmis350
Advanced

Received 182 Likes on 73 Posts

When I put Toms CF rear diffuser, my Borla tips went in too much so i cut out those tips and welded some blue burnt tips to drag it out. I might delete the resonator later and mess it with it too. if its too loud, ill weld it back on.
Old 04-22-18, 07:07 AM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

it's already pretty loud as is, install it and see as LXSDO mentioned.
Old 04-22-18, 05:04 PM
sheyme
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Apone
it's already pretty loud as is, install it and see as LXSDO mentioned.
Couldn't agree more. I like the sound and wouldn’t want anything even more. It’s perfect. No drone at cruise at 80mph.
That is worth a lot to me.
Old 04-23-18, 12:25 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Sounds great as is!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 04-23-18, 02:42 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

My RCF with Borla exhaust system as is sounds lound enough. At idle it has a deep base that is "COVERT" and you really have to listen closely to detect it from OEM. At cruising speeds in any modes at 65+ mph, there is no drone at all. I do a lot of phone calls via the Bluetooth connection with the car and it works well.

The other day while cruising the parking lot at Sam's Club looking for a spot to park at low speeds (around 1.5 to 2 K rpm) the Borla on my RCF makes a very deep RUMBLE that CAN NOT BE MISTAKEN for a 6 or 4 cylinder engine. After I found a spot and parked several people came up to me and asked if it was a V8??? And if was as seen in the Black Panther movie??? Sure IT IS a V8!!! But not in the movie!! LOL. There are not that many RCF's where my RCF is located (the closest other RCF that I know of is some 1.5 hours away. I've seen two other RC350's roaming around and one LC500 cruising around). Evidently not too many people are aware Lexus put V8 in "cars".

But as soon as I STEP on it and the rpm goes to 4K and beyond it is MUSICAL!!! And those rev matching down shifts are FANTASTIC. Plus there's the crackles and pops too!!

Get the Borla, you'll love it!!!!

Originally Posted by LXSDO
This has been discussed before.

A couple of points that came up.
You cut the resonator, your borla warranty is void.
Why don't you install it first and see how you like the sound. You could always cut them out later. Seems like most people love the sound the way it is. Cutting resonator might lead to drone and maybe too loud making your Bluetooth for phone useless

I don't think anyone has done this. No one has even tried to swap out the tips.

Last edited by lexusrus; 04-23-18 at 02:53 AM.
Old 04-23-18, 03:58 PM
Kerune
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
My RCF with Borla exhaust system as is sounds lound enough. At idle it has a deep base that is "COVERT" and you really have to listen closely to detect it from OEM. At cruising speeds in any modes at 65+ mph, there is no drone at all. I do a lot of phone calls via the Bluetooth connection with the car and it works well.

The other day while cruising the parking lot at Sam's Club looking for a spot to park at low speeds (around 1.5 to 2 K rpm) the Borla on my RCF makes a very deep RUMBLE that CAN NOT BE MISTAKEN for a 6 or 4 cylinder engine. After I found a spot and parked several people came up to me and asked if it was a V8??? And if was as seen in the Black Panther movie??? Sure IT IS a V8!!! But not in the movie!! LOL. There are not that many RCF's where my RCF is located (the closest other RCF that I know of is some 1.5 hours away. I've seen two other RC350's roaming around and one LC500 cruising around). Evidently not too many people are aware Lexus put V8 in "cars".

But as soon as I STEP on it and the rpm goes to 4K and beyond it is MUSICAL!!! And those rev matching down shifts are FANTASTIC. Plus there's the crackles and pops too!!

Get the Borla, you'll love it!!!!
Where in CA are you? I've gotten comments on my rcf with borla but only from obvious car guys, not many other occassions even though this exhaust is noticeably louder from the outside than inside.
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (04-24-18)
Old 04-23-18, 05:52 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I bought my RCF in SoCal back in October 2015 and shipped it out (I live in SoCal. But I fly to AL/MS/TN/LA to work). I wanted a "cooler" car to drive around after I fly in and land and drive to work in the middle of rural America. I guess my old MB SLK55 AMG HARDTOP CONVERTIBLE just was not that "COOL" any more. LOL. The RCF in multi level parking garage sounds EPIC. My old MB AMG sounds pretty good, but not as good as the RCF with the Borla.

The RCF is very rare in the middle of rural America. After the movie, Black Panther, people confuse it with the LC500!!! So people now notice the Lexus brand more in places that would not otherwise. People ask me about my RCF whenever I gas up or stop at stores and specifically ask if it is a V8!!!

Originally Posted by Kerune
Where in CA are you? I've gotten comments on my rcf with borla but only from obvious car guys, not many other occassions even though this exhaust is noticeably louder from the outside than inside.

Last edited by lexusrus; 04-23-18 at 06:31 PM.
GunnyFitz (04-24-18)
Old 04-23-18, 07:12 PM
vietzboi87
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 08sgmis350
When I put Toms CF rear diffuser, my Borla tips went in too much so i cut out those tips and welded some blue burnt tips to drag it out. I might delete the resonator later and mess it with it too. if its too loud, ill weld it back on.
Any pics? Which tips did you buy? I’m having the same issue with my borla after I installed my toms diffuser as well.
Old 04-24-18, 09:31 AM
08sgmis350
Advanced

Originally Posted by vietzboi87

Any pics? Which tips did you buy? I’m having the same issue with my borla after I installed my toms diffuser as well.
just get any 2.5" (inlet) to 3.5" or 4" (outlet) tips. depends on ur taste, choose polish, black, blue tip. I chose slant cut 4" blue tip cuz i like that look. I had straight cut and looked little weird so i had to buy another slant tip and cut the old one and change to new ones again. didi it twice lol. i also like the black tips so i might play with black tips later.
Old 04-24-18, 10:16 AM
vietzboi87
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

just get any 2.5" (inlet) to 3.5" or 4" (outlet) tips. depends on ur taste, choose polish, black, blue tip. I chose slant cut 4" blue tip cuz i like that look. I had straight cut and looked little weird so i had to buy another slant tip and cut the old one and change to new ones again. didi it twice lol. i also like the black tips so i might play with black tips later.
I was looking at the straight tips also but wasn’t sure how it would look. Any pics of both set up, straight and slant?
Old 04-24-18, 10:31 AM
08sgmis350
Advanced

Originally Posted by vietzboi87

I was looking at the straight tips also but wasn’t sure how it would look. Any pics of both set up, straight and slant?
yea ill pm u pix later when I have time~
vietzboi87 (04-24-18)
Old 04-25-18, 05:17 AM
Xzria
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you have a link to the tips?
Old 04-25-18, 05:36 AM
Xzria
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sheyme

Couldn't agree more. I like the sound and wouldn’t want anything even more. It’s perfect. No drone at cruise at 80mph.
That is worth a lot to me.
Can you hear it a lot with all the windows up? I honestly do want more drone especially at high speefe and just cruising. How loud is it out of 10? Also maybe I should delete the resonator so I get more drone out of it or does it affect performance and will it not sound as deep?

Quick Reply: Borla questions