LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

What should I look for with a used LS460? Common Problems? (merged threads)

Old 03-11-13, 07:06 AM
silver305
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default What should I look for with a used LS460? Common Problems? (merged threads)

I wanted to know what problems have you guys had with yoru car. What are common problems with this vehicle? how much are the repair costs for such issues without a warranty?
I would like to hear from everyone who currently has or had owenership of a LS 460.
THANK YOU!
The following users liked this post:
CamelKool (06-28-20)
Old 03-11-13, 07:57 AM
dckaraja
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think twice before buying one without any kind of warranty.In my part of town.Just the normal service is 250$.Every 5k miles.I would def go for CPO .Or buy some sought of third party insurance with decent deductible.
CamelKool (06-28-20)
Old 03-11-13, 08:08 AM
silver305
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dckaraja
I would think twice before buying one without any kind of warranty.In my part of town.Just the normal service is 250$.Every 5k miles.I would def go for CPO .Or buy some sought of third party insurance with decent deductible.
I AM lucky enough to have a good connection at a lexus dealership..i can get an oil change for 30 dollars. I used to get my brakes done on my is250 for about $200 dollars plus the parts which i also got them at dealer cost... however, my connection won't do major crazy work on it such as transmission overhauls or anything like that. I am not worried about any type of maintenance on my car since my guy pretty much takes care of it all for little money.
Remember, i am in Miami which is notorious for being a "hustlers" town. Over here is who you know and you can pretty much get almost anything for next to nothing AS LONG as both parties benefit from it of course.. I am a financial analyst so i did my mechanic favors regarding bussiness decisions or investments and well he takes good care of me in return..
Like i said, right now i am just trying to find out what goes wrong with these cars before i fork out $4000 dollars for an extended warranty.
CamelKool (06-28-20)
Old 03-11-13, 08:57 AM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

I bought my '07 brand new and had ZERO problems. The wind noise was fixed for free by Lexus through the installation of double pane glass in the front doors. I did not spend a dime. Just regular maintenance, also always done by the dealer where I purchased the car. Same with the few recalls.
CamelKool (06-28-20)
Old 03-11-13, 11:09 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by silver305
i can get an oil change for 30 dollars.
No, you cannot. I take that back. If Mom is doing your oil change, she might, MIGHT, charge you $30 even though she will be spending more than $50 just on supplies. But that's how moms are. Dealerships, however, are not like that. And, if you have a friend who is doing this for you, he is surely thieving from the dealership and your dealing with him will cost him his job.

TANSTAAFL - learn it early and learn it well.
Old 03-11-13, 11:16 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What are common problems with this vehicle?
ML amp (almost always), ML head unit (sometimes).

Driver's seat padding (TSB).
Glove compartment loose/rattling (TSB)
Seat belt scratching door pillar (TSB)

Wind noise (whatever)

Brakes (warped rotors - three sets in 66k miles)
Brake actuator ($3k dealer repair)
Valve seals/lifters (free recall)

Nav updates ($300/update - maintenance item)

Good luck with your LS.
Old 03-11-13, 03:16 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

I AM lucky enough to have a good connection at a lexus dealership..i can get an oil change for 30 dollars. I used to get my brakes done on my is250 for about $200 dollars plus the parts which i also got them at dealer cost... however, my connection won't do major crazy work on it such as transmission overhauls or anything like that. I am not worried about any type of maintenance on my car since my guy pretty much takes care of it all for little money.
Remember, i am in Miami which is notorious for being a "hustlers" town. Over here is who you know and you can pretty much get almost anything for next to nothing AS LONG as both parties benefit from it of course.. I am a financial analyst so i did my mechanic favors regarding bussiness decisions or investments and well he takes good care of me in return..
Like i said, right now i am just trying to find out what goes wrong with these cars before i fork out $4000 dollars for an extended warranty.
I'm not clear on this. Is this tech doing it at the dealership or are you taking the car over to his house on the weekend? If he's doing it at the dealership, he has to be cheating (or in your words hustling) the dealership. If he's doing it at his place, even he can't buy 9 quarts of oil and a filter for $30. Of course if you are providing him with services, I guess he can eat the loss.
Old 03-11-13, 06:04 PM
silver305
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
I'm not clear on this. Is this tech doing it at the dealership or are you taking the car over to his house on the weekend? If he's doing it at the dealership, he has to be cheating (or in your words hustling) the dealership. If he's doing it at his place, even he can't buy 9 quarts of oil and a filter for $30. Of course if you are providing him with services, I guess he can eat the loss.
well, i won't go into details, but yes i do and i got oil changes on my is250 for 30 dollars for 2.5 years. I dont ask how he does it, or where he gets the stuff from. He is a certified mechanic and a damn good one at it. Each time i came with an issue with my car, he knew exactly how to fix it. Like i said, i am not worried about the maintenance on this car. I know it will be cheap for me. I just ordered the front brake pads and they ran me $60 dollars, directly from the dealer...
Old 03-11-13, 06:27 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

I just ordered the front brake pads and they ran me $60 dollars, directly from the dealer...
You could have gotten much better pads (ceramic) for the same price the dealer charged you-

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...eat-price.html
Old 03-14-13, 07:04 AM
wchain
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

If he's not giving you paperwork with the dealers name on the invoice saying that he did it, its considered "side work. " Which is up to the service manager on how hard they enforce the techs from doing.
Old 03-15-13, 05:32 AM
silver305
Pole Position

well, i got 8 spark plugs, 2 air filters and a cabin ac air filter yesterday for $130.... It can be side work, or not side work, but i am not going to complain about it. Just like i am not going to complain when he installs my spark plugs, Hid kit (i bought the kit) on the fog lights, swap out my ls600 headlighs for the stock ones (i get to keep my ls600 lights too), replace the black interior panel below where the driver's seatbel is attached (seatbelts usually scuff that part really bad), flush my coolant.... all for $300............. oh and i did not buy the stock headlights or the interior planels that i need replaced either..He is providing those for me too..
Old 03-15-13, 03:57 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

well, i got 8 spark plugs, 2 air filters and a cabin ac air filter yesterday for $130.... It can be side work, or not side work, but i am not going to complain about it. Just like i am not going to complain when he installs my spark plugs, Hid kit (i bought the kit) on the fog lights, swap out my ls600 headlighs for the stock ones (i get to keep my ls600 lights too), replace the black interior panel below where the driver's seatbel is attached (seatbelts usually scuff that part really bad), flush my coolant.... all for $300............. oh and i did not buy the stock headlights or the interior planels that i need replaced either..He is providing those for me too..
Must be be a very,very,very good friend.
Old 03-16-13, 10:46 AM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

So what's the point of this thread again?

Old 03-17-13, 12:59 AM
redoctane
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your point? I can't understand what are you trying to prove?
Old 03-17-13, 04:37 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

I wanted to know what problems have you guys had with yoru car. What are common problems with this vehicle? how much are the repair costs for such issues without a warranty?
I would like to hear from everyone who currently has or had owenership of a LS 460.
THANK YOU!
My car is a 2007 LS460 that I bought new in Sep '07.

I had a major wind noise problem. The dealer, one of the largest dealers in the US, replaced the windows in the front doors. That did not improve the wind noise. Lexus corporate was no help with the wind noise. I fixed the wind noise myself for about $2 in materials and 20 minutes labor.

My car was recalled for the Fuel Rail TSIB. No charge and uneventful.

My car was recalled to the Valve Spring TSIB. No charge and eventful.

When they did the Valve Spring TSIB I told them that the trunk release switch had been gummy for about two years and even though they insisted that it was the first incidence of that they had seen they replaced it at no charge. At the same time, my sister who lives 500 miles away from me had an '09 Toyota Sienna with a gummy lift-gate switch. I don't think anything that I did or my environment caused that problem.

My car has a whopper jawed glove box door. I have not complained about that to the dealer.

My car exhibits a surging/stalling condition that seems to coincide with getting the oil changed. I have not taken this up with the dealer as the condition seems to be "self clearing" and resolves before I can get to the dealership.

I have had a few times when the automatic door closer failed to complete on one of the rear doors. This condition is so rare that I have not complained to the dealer about it and it has not occurred in the last three years.

I remain very pleased with my car and love to drive it. It is exceptionally quiet, gets good gas mileage, is very comfortable and has a great sound system (ML). I have not added the car-in-motion override and I find the navigation system very useful although there was a learning curve.
CamelKool (06-28-20)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What should I look for with a used LS460? Common Problems? (merged threads)