SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 LED headlight conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-18, 07:28 PM
Tosaman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC430 LED headlight conversion

I have a 2003 SC430 and would like to convert the headlights (at least high beam and low also if possible) to LED without the need to replace the entire headlight assembly. Any suggestions or links? Thanks.
Old 04-19-18, 04:58 AM
malema
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im trying to do the same thing! So far have swapped out the 194 bulbs in the front and back marker lights and the small long light on the outside of headlights with Philips 127916000KB2. works like a charm. Currently in the process of figuring out the headlights (low high beam). My dad is a mechanic (but not experienced in electrical) and he says a "converter" is definitely necessary but Im still doing research on it. Hopefully someone els has more info to share
The following users liked this post:
Tosaman (04-23-18)
Old 04-19-18, 12:04 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Tosaman
I have a 2003 SC430 and would like to convert the headlights (at least high beam and low also if possible) to LED without the need to replace the entire headlight assembly. Any suggestions or links? Thanks.
According to our 2003 Lexus SC430 Lighting Guide, the Low Beams are D2S HIDs from the factory, and your High Beams are 9005 Halogens.

Even if you can find a D2S-to-LED conversion, you would honestly be looking at a lighting downgrade at that point. HID is by far the brighter of the two lighting technologies at this point. Is there something in particular you are looking for from LED lighting? If you want something 'whiter' without having to sacrifice too much output, you can look at Philips D2S Xtreme Vision Gen 2 (4800K) or Philips D2S White Vision Gen 2 (5000K) bulbs. Normally you lose output as you move up the colour scale, but the Philips Gen 2 bulbs are engineered to be a bit more powerful than their colour temperature would normally allow.

As for your 9005 Halogen High Beams, however, those you can spruce up with some LEDs if you are looking for a bit of a bump in output and some nicer/more useful colour to the lighting. Our 9005 LED PRO Kit is a nice upgrade over stock, with a crisp white 5500K colour. If you have a Daytime Running Light on that same bulb you will need the CANBUS/PWM anti-flicker module option (and you need to be aware that the LEDs are not able to Dim in DRL mode), but if the High Beam is just a High Beam, then you are good to go as-is.

Hope this helps,

~Robert
The following 3 users liked this post by XenonDepot:
airmaui (07-16-18), JDaveSC430 (04-19-18), Tosaman (04-23-18)
Old 04-19-18, 01:01 PM
malema
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what do you recommend for a brighter option for the H1 fog lights?
Old 04-19-18, 01:21 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by malema
what do you recommend for a brighter option for the H1 fog lights?
Our lighting guide suggests the Fog Lights on these cars are H3s, rather than H1s, but we have options for both. No LEDs for either, unfortunately, but we do carry H1 HID Kits and H3 HID Kits. If you want an upgrade that is a bit simpler, we also carry H3 Osram Night Breaker and H1 Philips Xtreme Vision performance halogen bulbs - either of those will give you a bit more oomph, brighter/whiter light, without being a full-on conversion kit.

~Robert
Old 04-21-18, 10:01 PM
joconab
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by malema
Im trying to do the same thing! So far have swapped out the 194 bulbs in the front and back marker lights and the small long light on the outside of headlights with Philips 127916000KB2. works like a charm. Currently in the process of figuring out the headlights (low high beam). My dad is a mechanic (but not experienced in electrical) and he says a "converter" is definitely necessary but Im still doing research on it. Hopefully someone els has more info to share
I just bought a very clean 07 with 64K miles from an original owner. The headlight would turn on then a few minutes later the right side flicker then goes dead. I would like to change the HID Xenon bulb but looking at the car, I would need help from people who have done a light bulb change because it isn't a simple or easy to get to type of light bulb change. It looks like removing the whole assembly is more likely the case cause there are not enough space in the back to reach it. Please any help would be appreciated. Yes! I am very handy and have been messing with cars since my high school days in the mid 80's
Old 04-21-18, 10:36 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by joconab
I just bought a very clean 07 with 64K miles from an original owner. The headlight would turn on then a few minutes later the right side flicker then goes dead. I would like to change the HID Xenon bulb but looking at the car, I would need help from people who have done a light bulb change because it isn't a simple or easy to get to type of light bulb change. It looks like removing the whole assembly is more likely the case cause there are not enough space in the back to reach it. Please any help would be appreciated. Yes! I am very handy and have been messing with cars since my high school days in the mid 80's
....the best way to change the bulb, is to drop the bumper, then remove the light assembly. It's really not that hard to do, but can be intimidating....lol Some have accomplished changing bulbs by removing some items under the hood & with small hands. I would drop the bumper, because overall you'll save time (IMO)
joconab (04-21-18)
Old 04-21-18, 11:18 PM
joconab
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by texsexlex
....the best way to change the bulb, is to drop the bumper, then remove the light assembly. It's really not that hard to do, but can be intimidating....lol Some have accomplished changing bulbs by removing some items under the hood & with small hands. I would drop the bumper, because overall you'll save time (IMO)
Thanks again texsexlex. Doesn't SC owner work on their own car? I have tried every which way to search up any kind of mod or people working on an SC on youtube and only got short clips of video on review on the car by people who wants to sell an SC and some electrical mod on the radio system. Why? is it because SC owner don't work of their own car and post on YouTube or the car is too reliable and doesn't get broken down? LOL
Old 04-22-18, 04:31 AM
Hyper15125
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
According to our 2003 Lexus SC430 Lighting Guide, the Low Beams are D2S HIDs from the factory, and your High Beams are 9005 Halogens.

Even if you can find a D2S-to-LED conversion, you would honestly be looking at a lighting downgrade at that point. HID is by far the brighter of the two lighting technologies at this point. Is there something in particular you are looking for from LED lighting? If you want something 'whiter' without having to sacrifice too much output, you can look at Philips D2S Xtreme Vision Gen 2 (4800K) or Philips D2S White Vision Gen 2 (5000K) bulbs. Normally you lose output as you move up the colour scale, but the Philips Gen 2 bulbs are engineered to be a bit more powerful than their colour temperature would normally allow.

As for your 9005 Halogen High Beams, however, those you can spruce up with some LEDs if you are looking for a bit of a bump in output and some nicer/more useful colour to the lighting. Our 9005 LED PRO Kit is a nice upgrade over stock, with a crisp white 5500K colour. If you have a Daytime Running Light on that same bulb you will need the CANBUS/PWM anti-flicker module option (and you need to be aware that the LEDs are not able to Dim in DRL mode), but if the High Beam is just a High Beam, then you are good to go as-is.

Hope this helps,

~Robert
OP, what Robert is saying. I personally would not go above a 5k bulb. Also, in addition to the bulb upgrade and if you are handy you could also do the clear lens mod. This involves baking and taking the light apart.

I am preparing to do this and use TSX-R lenses which paired up with with the SC projectors have awesome output. I am also retrofitting projectors into the high beam bowls so I will have a quad setup. While I am in there I will also paint the shroud to probably match the gunmetal on the front grill as I hate chrome.
XenonDepot (04-26-18)
Old 04-22-18, 05:44 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Hyper15125

OP, what Robert is saying. I personally would not go above a 5k bulb. Also, in addition to the bulb upgrade and if you are handy you could also do the clear lens mod. This involves baking and taking the light apart.

I am preparing to do this and use TSX-R lenses which paired up with with the SC projectors have awesome output. I am also retrofitting projectors into the high beam bowls so I will have a quad setup. While I am in there I will also paint the shroud to probably match the gunmetal on the front grill as I hate chrome.
....please post pics of this mod when done
Old 04-24-18, 01:49 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I would be very interested if someone was willing to do a DIY from start to finish (to avoid breaking the headlight tabs) on baking the headlights to get the clear lenses off. I want to install some newer turn signal LEDs inside the housing. Anyone got the guts to attempt? :-)
Old 04-24-18, 02:02 PM
Hyper15125
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
I would be very interested if someone was willing to do a DIY from start to finish (to avoid breaking the headlight tabs) on baking the headlights to get the clear lenses off. I want to install some newer turn signal LEDs inside the housing. Anyone got the guts to attempt? :-)
I will try and do a DIY when I take mine apart. Im not messing with the turn signals, don’t wanna deal with resistors, etc.

Still trying to decide what color I am painting the shroud.

Either color matched to the car (Mill Silver) black or Gunmetal to match the front grill.