LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

GS 350 or LS 460

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-18, 09:18 AM
prtuc2
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GS 350 or LS 460

Hi Everyone,
Just looking for some inputs and experiences from current or previous owners thanks. I currently own a 2013 RX 350 AWD base model and was seeking for perhaps an upgrade in the near future, my commute is about 10% city and 90% expressway but do struck in traffic during morning rush especially in NYC getting about 21-24MPG. I would something with lower cabin noise, better ride quality, more comfortable seats, and somewhat better handling than my current RX. Let me explain, in my daily commute there is one of my exit ramp at speed above 35mph exiting the ramp my vehicle felt like losing traction or perhaps my body roll giving me that sensation.
The things I like about my vehicle is the height is perfect for getting in and out and the trunk space is very generous. However, I mostly don't carry any passengers only on special occasions during long trips. The side mirror is nice and big overall this vehicle have a good driving view and not sure if either the GS or the LS can match that especially the side mirror.
My local dealer have a 13 GS and 15 GS and a 15 LS, but the 12 LS is more of my price range at the moment.

Here are my priority:
1. More comfortable seats
2. Lower cabin noise
3. Ride quality
4. Vision
5. Handling
6. Rear leg room similar or better than my 13 RX
Old 04-13-18, 09:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I've had both, and based on your list of wants, the LS is the better car. The GS is sportier, room in the back will be less than your RX, not more.
The following users liked this post:
prtuc2 (04-14-18)
Old 04-13-18, 11:35 AM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 156 Posts

I looked at the GS for months before moving on to the LS. The LS will be quieter, more comfortable, and have great ride quality.

As for handling, I was surprised when I took a trip over the Poconos to Ohio that the car actually felt better in the curves than my previous Cadillac CTS, doing the same speed in both cars. It felt planted and there was no slip, although I'm sure AWD helps with that.
Old 04-13-18, 04:04 PM
prtuc2
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, another thing that sometimes I felt the brake on the RX 350 is kind of average (stopping distance) would the GS or the LS will be better in this aspect as well?
Old 04-13-18, 08:29 PM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I can tell you that the LS checks off 1, 2, 3 and 6 on your list better than the GS. (Can't make an informed decision about 4 and 5). If you want a super comfortable ride, even for your occasional longer road trips, the LS holds a very high standard in this area.

Last edited by Mbbarron; 04-13-18 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Left out and mistyped a word
The following users liked this post:
prtuc2 (04-14-18)
Old 04-13-18, 09:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Brakes are much better in both.

You will I’ll find both are notably better built and more robust than the RX
Old 04-14-18, 11:47 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts

So you want ride quality while maintaining some handling characteristics? That's an interesting trade-off, however both the GS and LS - just like any Lexus lineup in the current segment, have the adjustable norma/sport modes that 'assist' in whatever you're looking for.
Fit and Finish in my opinion the LS triumphs far over the GS, and while I love the GS350 in its own right, it still won't take the cake over the LS but it's also by my preference and opinion. This goes for comfort, vision and of of course - rear leg room (LWB model, or even SWB)

Aftermarket support overall is obviously more widely available for the GS platform.
Old 04-14-18, 03:23 PM
Kuhan
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

We have both LS 460 and RX 350. Our 2015 RX 350 has 19" wheels with Dunlop tires, and it's very bumpy compare to our 2013 LS 460 AWD with 18" wheels and Continental tires. I can't compare GS 350 as I've never driven one, but I agree with Mbbarron.

The RX 350 takes regular gas vs LS 460 takes premium. GS 350 has V6 vs V8 on LS 460 which you'll spend spend more $ on gas on V8.

1. More comfortable seats - LS
2. Lower cabin noise - LS
3. Ride quality - LS
4. Vision - not sure
5. Handling - not sure
6. Rear leg room similar or better than my 13 RX - 15 RX has a little more room than my 13 LS but not by much.

By your priority list, LS 460 would be your car! Good luck!
Old 04-14-18, 07:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kuhan
GS 350 has V6 vs V8 on LS 460 which you'll spend spend more $ on gas on V8.
Having had both, actually the GS is no better than the LS in real world fuel economy.
Old 04-14-18, 10:57 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Having had both, actually the GS is no better than the LS in real world fuel economy.
My GS is getting 21.8mpg and that's on premium fuel with a 60 mile round trip commute to work everyday in the toll lane (driving in NORMAL mode). I think you're right with LS putting up similar numbers.
Old 04-15-18, 07:57 AM
prtuc2
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for everyone input, looks like my next vehicle is the LS. Is the A/C and heater decent on the LS as well? I heard the GS A/C is pretty weak compared to the RX.
Old 04-15-18, 08:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I’ve never heard that, and the AC in my GS and my LSs was/is plenty strong.
Old 04-15-18, 09:00 AM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by prtuc2
Thanks for everyone input, looks like my next vehicle is the LS. Is the A/C and heater decent on the LS as well? I heard the GS A/C is pretty weak compared to the RX.
It's great. If you get the cold weather package, there's an enhanced heating system that kicks out heat before the car is fully warmed up. You also get the heated steering wheel (the wood is not heated) which I found very useful on cold winter mornings.
Old 04-15-18, 10:00 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by prtuc2
Hi Everyone,
Just looking for some inputs and experiences from current or previous owners thanks. I currently own a 2013 RX 350 AWD base model and was seeking for perhaps an upgrade in the near future, my commute is about 10% city and 90% expressway but do struck in traffic during morning rush especially in NYC getting about 21-24MPG. I would something with lower cabin noise, better ride quality, more comfortable seats, and somewhat better handling than my current RX. Let me explain, in my daily commute there is one of my exit ramp at speed above 35mph exiting the ramp my vehicle felt like losing traction or perhaps my body roll giving me that sensation.
The things I like about my vehicle is the height is perfect for getting in and out and the trunk space is very generous. However, I mostly don't carry any passengers only on special occasions during long trips. The side mirror is nice and big overall this vehicle have a good driving view and not sure if either the GS or the LS can match that especially the side mirror.
My local dealer have a 13 GS and 15 GS and a 15 LS, but the 12 LS is more of my price range at the moment.

Here are my priority:
1. More comfortable seats
2. Lower cabin noise
3. Ride quality
4. Vision
5. Handling
6. Rear leg room similar or better than my 13 RX
1)Likely LS but a GS F sport or with the Luxury package has more adjustments, Luxury package GS has semi aniline leather
2)LS would be quieter
3)Ride quality likely goes to LS but GS Luxury rides very well
4)Vision, if that means outward visibility then the GS is a smaller vehicle and easier to see out of. If it is looks I think a GS F sport or Luxury is better looking then a LS.
5)Handling would definitely go to the GS
6)LS for rear legroom especially long wheel base, GS should not be too different from the RX

There are other big differences and that is trouble spots/maintenance, the LS460 has several and they can be extremely expensive like control arms, air suspension, noisy suspensions, brake actuator, melting dash/arm rests, ML amps, hesitation after oil changes, early LS engine issues, and a few other ones where the 4th GS is relatively trouble free and has no real common issues. Maintenance on GS will be less expensive, much less oil to change, not as much burning oil, costs less to maintain at dealership, no real common suspension issues/pre mature failure like LS, don't need tech stream for as much maintenance, less spark plugs, etc. If you are driving in NYC you are going to be replacing suspension parts on the LS a lot more frequently, better learn DIY and avoid a AWD.

Fuel economy will be close, the LS gets good fuel economy for a V8, the GS350 gets poor fuel economy for a V6.
Old 04-15-18, 10:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Rear seat room in the GS is considerably less than an RX. The RX has excellent rear legroom actually.

So for handling, certainly goes to the GS, however I had the opportunity earlier today to drive my new LWB on air suspension in Sport S+ on some curvy backroads and I was seriously impressed vs my coil spring SWB on similar roads. The S+ mode which firms up the dampers really does have an impact.

Having had them spec’ed both ways for the best experience I would recommend you look for a LWB car with the air suspension.

As for seats, the seats in my GS Luxury had more adjustments, the adjustment I miss is the articulating backrest, overall though the seats in the LS are cushier and more comfortable.

Cant really say what sorts of “premature” (debatable btw) failures the 4GS May have, they’re still new relative to the older LS460s out there. Less spark plugs? Two spark plugs less, saves you $16. Dealer service cost is the same. Service packages for my GS and the LS were/are exactly the same.

Having had had a loaded 4GS Luxury and two LS460s, I would never go back to the GS.

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-15-18 at 10:34 AM.

Quick Reply: GS 350 or LS 460