LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Curious - what did you cross-shop your LX570 with?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-18, 10:09 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Curious - what did you cross-shop your LX570 with?

Just curious what did each of you cross-shop your LX570 (or Landcruiser in Hankinid's case) against? Wife was replacing her 14 Pilot Touring (we 3 kids with 1 sitting in 3rd row), our shopping led us through these modesl:

Yukon/Tahoe variants - subpar interior quality, wife hated the acceleration hesitation (which did get better mpg), questionable long-term reliability
MB GL450 - loved the tech and in our config it was cheaper than the LX, but wife just "didn't like it" including a "this feels cheaper than it should" sentiment. Usable 3rd row though.
Sequoia - the closest competitor, wife really loved the room and reliability (adults can sit in 3rd row seat full time!), hated the outdated tech and that the truck drove....like a truck
Pacifica - yeah this lasted 3 seconds in the show-room, we left sans test drive
New body-style Pilot - again left without a test drive, didn't like the new shape and our dealership experience was horrible (i.e. Honda feels it should be a privilege for us to consider their suv)
Highlander - un-usable 3rd row
GX460 - hasn't been updated in a decade, didn't make sense to drop $60k on this (at least the Sequoia was very functional for the $60k Platinum trim)
Landcruiser - liked it, in fact kept looking out for deals for LX/LC's...there are more LX's sold in the US, ended up with a better (not cheaper) deal on the LX

We didn't try out the Land Rover, but curious what others test drove/cross-shopped before getting your LX/LC?
Old 03-25-18, 10:59 AM
zink
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I wanted to buy a vehicle that could tow our small horse trailer if our truck ever had an issue, could work off-road but still comfortable and smart enough for business and clients. I also wanted something that would last at least 10 years with pretty much just basic maintenance. I looked at the full size range rover diesel. Lovely interior, good looking car and drove well. Never seriously considered it due to reliability plus tongue weight capacity was on the low side. I initially wanted a Land Cruiser but in Houston almost no dealer had one in stock, the sales staff weren't interested in trying to sell one and when I eventually found one, for the money, the interior just came across as cheap. Never considered anything European due to reliability (mainly electrical issues and cost outside of warranty). Never considered any American SUV's, the non stop recall mailings on my 1 ton Ram don't give me much long term confidence in American. Happy with my '17 LX & no buyer regret even though it's a bit of a dinosaur! I removed the third row seats and added LT tires and 20" wheels and it meets my needs very well. I wish it were less susceptible to cross winds because of relatively short wheelbase.
Old 03-25-18, 02:16 PM
ntx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally looked at the LX when my wife was looking for a new car. She liked it but chose the Infiniti QX80 because it had a better third row and cargo area. I really liked the LX so about a year later I got one for me. I think both are great and excel in different ways.
Old 03-25-18, 07:33 PM
ships10
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ntx
Originally looked at the LX when my wife was looking for a new car. She liked it but chose the Infiniti QX80 because it had a better third row and cargo area. I really liked the LX so about a year later I got one for me. I think both are great and excel in different ways.
I thought about getting a QX80 ,too,but went for the LX 570. Compared to each other how are they better or worse?
i traded my 2002 sequoia for the LX570
last June. LX has needed no major upgrades other than LED lights and a tablet mount n holder with extra lightening cables for my iPhone and iPads. The ML audio is great for me at least.
Old 03-26-18, 03:11 AM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

After driving 80,000 miles up to 140k in my 04 ES 330 with only needing routine maintenance and new rotors, I was looking at the RX, GX, and LX.

GX has the more attractive price and enough space for me, but it rides stiff and transmits every bump into the cabin. Drove 2010 and 2016 models.
RX was a strong contender for value/money, and resale (an important buying factor) is strong with any of these, but a few things had me choose the LX:
-Capability: off road and towing
-Low range
-Ability to fit oversized tires
-Adjustable dampers and hydraulic height adjustable suspension (Lexus needs to do a better job communicating this, it sets the LX apart from most other SUVs)
-ML Audio
-6,000+ lb curb weight (horrible for MPG, great for safety)

Have driven 20,000 miles since buying and resale value has held up incredibly well.
Old 03-26-18, 09:35 AM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I figured out which vehicle I liked best in each segment before I figured out which segment I wanted to buy in. So on a ~$40k budget, I ended up looking at:

2011ish LX 570
2015ish Acura MDX Advance
New Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid

Factors in favor of the LX included
  • the highest-quality and best-designed interior
  • the best expected resale value (not entirely fair as the LX has already taken much of its depreciation)
  • the ability to handle light off-roading (I'll never be a hardcore rock crawler, but the ability to go down a poorly maintained two-track without fear is great)
  • the best audio system
  • the feeling of having a really well-engineered, non-cost-cut vehicle

The MDX was a much nicer drive than the LX on pavement, but when not driving, it felt like an overgrown Accord more than a proper luxury car. It's very competent but doesn't have the feeling of a flagship vehicle.

The Pacifica's powertrain tech is great, and I wish we had an LX hybrid using a variant of the LS 600hL powertrain, but the rest of the van lets it down. The interior feels low-rent, even in Limited form, and I think the exterior styling may age quickly. It will likely be a resale bloodbath and I don't trust its durability.

In the LX's segment, I thought about (and rejected) used versions of the QX80 (2014ish), the Q7 (2012ish), and the GL550 (2012ish). The GL550 was my favorite of the rest but the LX's interior was still nicer and I couldn't stomach expected maintenance costs on an out-of-warranty big Benz.
Old 03-26-18, 11:25 AM
ntx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ships10

I thought about getting a QX80 ,too,but went for the LX 570. Compared to each other how are they better or worse?
i traded my 2002 sequoia for the LX570
last June. LX has needed no major upgrades other than LED lights and a tablet mount n holder with extra lightening cables for my iPhone and iPads. The ML audio is great for me at least.
i think the front seats are more comfortable in the Infiniti and the navigation/technology looks more modern. It also feels considerably larger with a more usable third row and cargo area. It also drives very nice and feels almost sports car-like.

i think the LX interior looks higher quality-better looking wood, finishes, etc. Mark Levinson is better. Drives smooth and the air suspension on the LX seems to bounce a little less over rough stuff.

To be fair I’m comparing a 2017 QX that we’ve owned since December 2016 against a 2015 LX that I got in early January. We are driving to Seaside Florida in the LX this June so that should be a good test.

My wife moved to the QX from a 2008 sequoia, which I thought was a great car. If Lexus made something with the sequoia platform that would be a game changer.
Old 03-26-18, 02:55 PM
ndmiller
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl
Just curious what did each of you cross-shop your LX570 (or Landcruiser in Hankinid's case) against? Wife was replacing her 14 Pilot Touring (we 3 kids with 1 sitting in 3rd row), our shopping led us through these modesl:

Yukon/Tahoe variants - subpar interior quality, wife hated the acceleration hesitation (which did get better mpg), questionable long-term reliability
MB GL450 - loved the tech and in our config it was cheaper than the LX, but wife just "didn't like it" including a "this feels cheaper than it should" sentiment. Usable 3rd row though.
Sequoia - the closest competitor, wife really loved the room and reliability (adults can sit in 3rd row seat full time!), hated the outdated tech and that the truck drove....like a truck
Pacifica - yeah this lasted 3 seconds in the show-room, we left sans test drive
New body-style Pilot - again left without a test drive, didn't like the new shape and our dealership experience was horrible (i.e. Honda feels it should be a privilege for us to consider their suv)
Highlander - un-usable 3rd row
GX460 - hasn't been updated in a decade, didn't make sense to drop $60k on this (at least the Sequoia was very functional for the $60k Platinum trim)
Landcruiser - liked it, in fact kept looking out for deals for LX/LC's...there are more LX's sold in the US, ended up with a better (not cheaper) deal on the LX

We didn't try out the Land Rover, but curious what others test drove/cross-shopped before getting your LX/LC?
We actually replaced 15 pilot with 18 GX460, which led me to trade my E550 Coupe for the 15 LX570. New Pilot was a joke and tired of dealing with regular car dealers. Sequioa made little sense to us, like a tacoma with a cap. No minivans and Highlander is too small.
Old 03-27-18, 11:49 AM
docboy
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Started out looking at 4th/5th gen 4Runners. I gave up when finding out most 4Runners were rusted or were really high mileage and the dealerships here were wanting absurdly high prices, so I gave up on the 4R. I didn't like the new 4Runners, felt they were too cheap and wasn't worth $45k.

Then started looking at the GX 460 (a few on the 4R forum suggested it, due to the GX being easier to find and in generally better condition), but couldn't get over the barn door.

So I started looked at the LX470 but passed on the 470 as I felt they were under powered. Found a local LX 570 that was in great condition and had CPO, so here I am
Old 03-27-18, 12:36 PM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Cayanne Turbo. Performance vs reliability.
Old 03-28-18, 06:38 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

I thought I was going to get an FZJ80 but after looking for a clean one with lockers and about 100k miles for over 2 years I gave up. Looked at Land Cruiser 200’s and LX’s and settled on the LX because SI liked the creature comforts and found the AHC to offer just wanted I needed for CES commuting and the occasional trail. I love the interior with Luxury Package, and Mark Levinson Stereo.
Old 05-03-18, 01:12 PM
PH4
Driver School Candidate

Default Removal of third row seats

Originally Posted by zink
I wanted to buy a vehicle that could tow our small horse trailer if our truck ever had an issue, could work off-road but still comfortable and smart enough for business and clients. I also wanted something that would last at least 10 years with pretty much just basic maintenance. I looked at the full size range rover diesel. Lovely interior, good looking car and drove well. Never seriously considered it due to reliability plus tongue weight capacity was on the low side. I initially wanted a Land Cruiser but in Houston almost no dealer had one in stock, the sales staff weren't interested in trying to sell one and when I eventually found one, for the money, the interior just came across as cheap. Never considered anything European due to reliability (mainly electrical issues and cost outside of warranty). Never considered any American SUV's, the non stop recall mailings on my 1 ton Ram don't give me much long term confidence in American. Happy with my '17 LX & no buyer regret even though it's a bit of a dinosaur! I removed the third row seats and added LT tires and 20" wheels and it meets my needs very well. I wish it were less susceptible to cross winds because of relatively short wheelbase.
So the third row seat set up is keeping me from purchasing a 2018 LX 570... the dealers won't remove the third row due to electrical liabilities, and you can't get the same options on a second row as on a third row... how did you remove the third row? Thanks!
Old 05-27-18, 12:23 AM
1BlinkGone
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PH4
So the third row seat set up is keeping me from purchasing a 2018 LX 570... the dealers won't remove the third row due to electrical liabilities, and you can't get the same options on a second row as on a third row... how did you remove the third row? Thanks!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lx-...row-seats.html
Old 05-27-18, 04:30 AM
BACONMOTOR
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We went from a Touereg to the LX. Funny thing with the LX is I was think about long term reliability. Ended up in the shop twice for the AHC. It was fixed and never acted up again. Would probably consider a Yukon if GM has fixed the tranny issues.
Old 05-28-18, 12:53 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Rolls Royce Phantom

Quick Reply: Curious - what did you cross-shop your LX570 with?