Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Amazon Grand Tour hoopla

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-18, 06:54 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Amazon Grand Tour hoopla

Looks like the original contract between the former TG trio has been completed, and you have to wonder if Amazon is trying to work fans into a froth over its future. The BBC series seems to have settled in for now with its hosts.

http://metro.co.uk/2018/03/11/fans-t...r-axe-7379200/

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv...-chris-tarrant

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...rand-Tour.html
Old 03-20-18, 08:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

The whole thing is kinda silly.

They havent finished shed the second season, there’s a special still being filmed. Let alone the third season. Why would they have even offered a fourth yet?

Clarksons “new Job” is a special short engagement of who wants to be a millionaire, not a permanent job.

Will ll there be a 4th season? My guess is yes if the stars want to do it. Will they? They may not.
Old 03-22-18, 02:02 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The whole thing is kinda silly.

They havent finished shed the second season, there’s a special still being filmed. Let alone the third season. Why would they have even offered a fourth yet?

Clarksons “new Job” is a special short engagement of who wants to be a millionaire, not a permanent job.

Will ll there be a 4th season? My guess is yes if the stars want to do it. Will they? They may not.
Pretty damn sure I watched that extra long series 2 finale about 3 or 4 weeks ago. They drove across Mozambique on some horrid muddy roads, transporting fish or some such nonsense. James May's Mercedes wagon fishbowl kept breaking down and dunking him in water, Richard Hammond kept falling off his $800 Chinese motorcycle to hilarious effect, and Jeremey Clarkson was the only reasonable one for once, he drove a 4wd Nissan truck.

They still have a whole season to film(maybe they are filming it now), so expect more "Grand Tour" later this year. If it gets renewed, well it depends if it made Amazon $$$$. All that on location filming, paying those three *****, well it gets to be a very expensive show.

I've met Jeremy Clarkson in person, when they were filming in Nashville. Asked him if he'd like to go back to LA, and then started talking about Los Angles, I interrupted him, and no, I meant Lower Alabama. He kind of turned stoned face for about half a second and then busted up laughing. We had a good little chat about southern culture, rednecks, getting stoned(literally getting stoned, aka rocks thrown at you), it was a good little bit of banter for about 2 minutes lol. Didn't ask him for a picture or autograph, shook his hand and told him to have fun in Nashville.
Old 03-22-18, 03:03 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Pretty damn sure I watched that extra long series 2 finale about 3 or 4 weeks ago. They drove across Mozambique on some horrid muddy roads, transporting fish or some such nonsense. James May's Mercedes wagon fishbowl kept breaking down and dunking him in water, Richard Hammond kept falling off his $800 Chinese motorcycle to hilarious effect, and Jeremey Clarkson was the only reasonable one for once, he drove a 4wd Nissan truck.
Yes, but the season was supposed to be 13 episodes, just like the first season was. Jeremy caught Pneumonia, so they released what they had. They recently shot a 2-part episode in Columbia which should be released in the next couple of months. Then Season 3 is coming in the fall.
Old 03-22-18, 07:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

geko is correct, the Mozambique was a “mini special”, it was only one episode in length, there’s a bigger special coming, then plus Season 3

Way too early to be talking about renewals.
Old 03-22-18, 08:07 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

i wonder if amazon feels like it got its money's worth... must cost a bundle between production and what they pay those 3 nuts.

i watched a couple of the first season and couldn't get into it. it felt like it was trying too hard and was very uneven. maybe it got better...
Old 03-22-18, 08:42 AM
190e30
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Season 2 was better as they shed some irritating segments from season 1 and couple of episodes were really entertaining. But i don't see Amazon getting their investment back from being only a prime show.
Old 03-22-18, 10:35 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

They still have a whole season to film(maybe they are filming it now), so expect more "Grand Tour" later this year. If it gets renewed, well it depends if it made Amazon $$$$. All that on location filming, paying those three *****, well it gets to be a very expensive show.

I've met Jeremy Clarkson in person, when they were filming in Nashville. Asked him if he'd like to go back to LA, and then started talking about Los Angles, I interrupted him, and no, I meant Lower Alabama. He kind of turned stoned face for about half a second and then busted up laughing. We had a good little chat about southern culture, rednecks, getting stoned(literally getting stoned, aka rocks thrown at you), it was a good little bit of banter for about 2 minutes lol. Didn't ask him for a picture or autograph, shook his hand and told him to have fun in Nashville.
I watched the Mozambique episode too, it was really funny, they never mentioned it was the end of the season though or the season finale during that episode like they normally do so I think there is still a episode or two left, it just has not aired yet.

That episode several years ago where they supposedly were chased and got rocks thrown at them in the South with their anti Nascar/girlie decorated cars seemed so fake and just played on stereotypes, they insult Nascar so the locals get so mad they want to fight them and also call their hillbilly buddies to confront them in pick up trucks, straight out of a lame Hollywood script. I just don't buy that it really happened on its own, think they set it up.
Old 03-22-18, 10:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i wonder if amazon feels like it got its money's worth... must cost a bundle between production and what they pay those 3 nuts.

i watched a couple of the first season and couldn't get into it. it felt like it was trying too hard and was very uneven. maybe it got better...
It got way better. Amazon has never been worried about getting their moneys worth before LOL

Like I said, if they want to do more I'm sure Amazon will do more. Its a question of whether they want to...several interviews given around the time that they left the BBC all three of them were saying they were going to sign another 2-3 year deal with the BBC and then that was going to be it.
Old 03-23-18, 10:39 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I watched the Mozambique episode too, it was really funny, they never mentioned it was the end of the season though or the season finale during that episode like they normally do so I think there is still a episode or two left, it just has not aired yet.

That episode several years ago where they supposedly were chased and got rocks thrown at them in the South with their anti Nascar/girlie decorated cars seemed so fake and just played on stereotypes, they insult Nascar so the locals get so mad they want to fight them and also call their hillbilly buddies to confront them in pick up trucks, straight out of a lame Hollywood script. I just don't buy that it really happened on its own, think they set it up.
-
Dude, I don't think you have any sort of grasp on the culture of the rural south. Keep in mind this was 2006-2007, the age before facebook, high speed interent(hell there still isn't high speed internet in rural parts of lower Alabama), basically for the poor white trash people that lived there, they had no idea what the hell Top Gear was, that they were being trolled.

The mindset of a lot of rural, white southern people, man they are paranoid as hell, very isolationist, very conservative, some of them extremely religious(like old testament, god should kill all the gays because sodom and gomorrah), you go into their town and try to start ****, well this is what happens. I also think maybe Clarkson ran his mouth and it wasn't on camera, thus all the **** that went down.
Old 03-26-18, 11:59 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

-
Dude, I don't think you have any sort of grasp on the culture of the rural south. Keep in mind this was 2006-2007, the age before facebook, high speed interent(hell there still isn't high speed internet in rural parts of lower Alabama), basically for the poor white trash people that lived there, they had no idea what the hell Top Gear was, that they were being trolled.

The mindset of a lot of rural, white southern people, man they are paranoid as hell, very isolationist, very conservative, some of them extremely religious(like old testament, god should kill all the gays because sodom and gomorrah), you go into their town and try to start ****, well this is what happens. I also think maybe Clarkson ran his mouth and it wasn't on camera, thus all the **** that went down.
I have lived all over the US, including the South. While in the East Coast I had certain negative stereotype views of the South but I have actually found people from the South, even more rural South are some of the nicest people I have ever met or dealt with, not the violent toothless hicks often portrayed on tv. I never really noticed hard core Nascar fans either especially who would attack people just because they had something on their car against Nascar. Not saying all my experiences with people from the South were positive but I never really had any encounters or heard of any with the violent redneck type like they portrayed in that episode, in my experience you would really have to look for a group like that and really antagonize them to get a violent reaction and I just don't see it from having some stuff painted on your cars, I just don't buy it unless they paid those guys to do it or they really went out of their way to **** them off to get that cliched reaction, maybe that kind of stuff would happen in the 70's or 80's but in 2007 I have a hard time buying it. I think they had multiple camera views of the reactions so they would have had camera men standing around video tapping it making it more unlikely it was just random and not set up.

If you want to talk violence and encounters with violent people in my experience you are more likely to find it on the East Coast and to a lesser extent Mid West based on my experiences, that is where I have experienced and seen violence over some of the dumbest things from very violent out of control people. There are parts of Philadelphia and even Pennsylvania where if you wear certain foot ball team jerseys you stand a good chance of being openly harassed verbally and even physically despite not starting anything, I know someone who went to a Eagles game and simply had a Giants cap in his car, the car was vandalized, windows broken out and someone or put the Giants cap on his antenna and not a single person reported it and that is just kind of light stuff. Baltimore, New Jersey, parts of Virginia I have had some experiences, know some people who had bad experiences in Mass. too. It is not just the South that has unruly violent people and in my experience it is nowhere near as bad in the South as other parts of the country.