Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Shopping for a SUV with third row seating

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-18, 04:04 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 232 Likes on 163 Posts
Default Shopping for a SUV with third row seating

So we have had our 2012 GX460 for five and a half years which is the longest we have kept an automobile. One of the reasons we have kept it for so long is that there really isn't anything out there we currently like. My wife really liked the Land Rover LR4 but since we knew it was getting a major overhaul last year we waited until the Discovery (LR5) came out because we thought it would be a more up to date version of the LR4. Unfortunately while it is a nice SUV, we just don't like the looks of it at all (which is kind of ironic since the GX is pretty ugly too) and we wished we had gotten a LR4 when we had the chance.

So we have looked at a handful of SUVs with third rows but none have really wowed us. We looked at the Q7, X5, XC90, etc. and we weren't feeling excited about any of them for various reasons. For example, we liked the XC90 but I have a hard time paying $65k+ for a four cylinder. We don't want another GX because it is the same thing we have but with a different front and rear bumper.

So it just so happened my wife saw a Durango SRT on the road last week and she thought it looked pretty good. I have tried to get her interested in one a while back but she wouldn't entertain it because it's a Dodge. I love the SRT products so we checked a couple out today. It was really nice inside and out. The tech in it is way better than what I have now with my Lexus' and the panel gaps/fit and finish weren't as bad as I have read on the SRT forums. We both loved it but we didn't have time to test drive it and won't have time until next weekend. Gas mileage is abysmal but it can't be much worse than my GX and IS which is about 16mpg and 18mpg, respectively, but at least it has the horsepower to make sense of it.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the Durango SRT or even Durango in general or if anyone had any experience with them. I know it is no Lexus in terms of fit and finish and reliability or holding value but I plan on leasing this so I am not too worried about that. Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 03-17-18, 04:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the Durango SRT or even Durango in general or if anyone had any experience with them. I know it is no Lexus in terms of fit and finish and reliability or holding value but I plan on leasing this so I am not too worried about that. Any insight would be appreciated.
I did a review of the present-generation Durango when it debuted several years ago. Here it is, though many of the images I posted with it expired and are no longer visible.

I was generally impressed with it, but, as you are also concerned, its reliability, even today, is somewhat of a roll of the dice.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...e-durango.html
Old 03-17-18, 04:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Also, besides Dodge, have you looked at any other American-nameplate SUVs?...there are many others, from Ford, Lincoln, Buick, GMC, Chevy, and Cadillac, that offer the third-row seating you want. Subaru is also about to introduce the three-row Ascent.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-17-18 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-17-18, 04:32 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Get the new Navigator, seems to be very nice or Expedition if u want to save $$$.
New BMW X7 will be out later this year.
Old 03-17-18, 04:37 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

A few other names, CX-9, Atlas, Explorer Sport, Highlander, Traverse
Old 03-17-18, 06:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I did a review of the present-generation Durango when it debuted several years ago.
I was generally impressed with it, but, as you are also concerned, its reliability, even today, is somewhat of a roll of the dice.
really? i've met many durango owners ans they all love them.
also, someone you respect, Alex on Autos, has recently been looking for a new suv for some time... guess what, of all the choices he got a durango.
Old 03-17-18, 06:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Patgilm, i recently drove a new durango, really nice. Very similar to my jeep grand cherokee only longer. I've driven a jgc srt but not a durango but i doubt it's much different. A total blast of fun while still being a comfy cruiser. As you say though, drinks gas but you've got to pay to play. one i drove just has the v6 which is oerfectly adequate and gets ok mileage,

and you mentioned the tech, yeah uconnect is light years ahead of most lexus infotainment.
Old 03-17-18, 07:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

really? i've met many durango owners ans they all love them.
also, someone you respect, Alex on Autos, has recently been looking for a new suv for some time... guess what, of all the choices he got a durango.
I didn't say that Durango owners didn't like them. Charger, Challenger, Chrysler 300, and Dodge/Chrysler minivan owners also, as a group, according to Consumer Reports, tend to have high owner satisfaction, though all of vehicles, except for the Pacifica, rate below average in reliability...the Pacifica, so far, is average. My own Lacrosse, according to Consumer Reports, dropped drastically from 2016 to 2017 in reliability, but I still liked the car enough to buy a 2018.....hopefully, the improvements for 2018, such as the new transmission, and the implementation of previous service-bulletins on the 2017s, will bump the reliability figure up somewhat. So far, no major problems with mine.

someone you respect, Alex on Autos, has recently been looking for a new suv for some time... guess what, of all the choices he got a durango.
Yes, I take Alex seriously, and he probably has reason to like the Durango...I liked it myself when I reviewed the 2012, which is the same basic-generation as the one still sold today. And, of course, it's done on the same platform as the Jeep Grand Cherokee, though the JGC hasn't (yet) stuck in a third-row seat.
Old 03-17-18, 08:15 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

My in-laws bought a new Durango last summer. They’ve been very happy with it.

Seating and cargo room is solid. I think some of the interior materials and design are a bit cheap and out dated but not enough so to not consider one.
Old 03-17-18, 10:39 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Does the Durango SRT have AWD standard like the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT??? V8+AWD= drinking problems worse than old country music stars.

Other than that, I think the Durango is a pretty *****ing SUV. Big, does truck stuff like tow heavy things, is unapologetic in its manliness. And if Anchor Man 2 was completely insufferable, that turd was worth it just for the Ron Burgandy Durango commercials.

Old 03-17-18, 10:39 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. The Navigator, Expedition, Tahoe, etc. are too big for my garage and bigger than my wife would like plus she doesn’t like the way they look. The other ones mentioned like the highlander are too small as there is zero cargo room behind the third row seats similar to my GX. The Discovery and Durango fits in this medium sized SUV where there is still cargo room when the third row is up. The one think I like with the Durango, besides the power, is that they have captains chairs in the second row so it’s almost minivanlike to get to the third row.

One SUV I didn’t look at yet is the Explorer Sport. I like the looks of those in pics so I will have to check them out next week. I didn’t even know they had a third row until just now.
Old 03-17-18, 10:43 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. The Navigator, Expedition, Tahoe, etc. are too big for my garage and bigger than my wife would like plus she doesn’t like the way they look. The other ones mentioned like the highlander are too small as there is zero cargo room behind the third row seats similar to my GX. The Discovery and Durango fits in this medium sized SUV where there is still cargo room when the third row is up. The one think I like with the Durango, besides the power, is that they have captains chairs in the second row so it’s almost minivanlike to get to the third row.

One SUV I didn’t look at yet is the Explorer Sport. I like the looks of those in pics so I will have to check them out next week. I didn’t even know they had a third row until just now.
Check out the Ford Flex while you are there. It has more space in it than the Explorer, same car under the skin. I know the wagon/bread van look is love or hate it, but IMO its a better vehicle than the Explorer due to the superior utilization of space.
Old 03-17-18, 10:56 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Question

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Does the Durango SRT have AWD standard like the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT??? V8+AWD= drinking problems worse than old country music stars.

Other than that, I think the Durango is a pretty *****ing SUV. Big, does truck stuff like tow heavy things, is unapologetic in its manliness. And if Anchor Man 2 was completely insufferable, that turd was worth it just for the Ron Burgandy Durango commercials.
Yea the Durango SRT has AWD standard but the sales guy was telling/showing me on the menu screen that you can change it to RWD which he said you couldn’t do on the SRT Jeep. Not sure how true any of that is because when he was showing me that I was kind of ignoring him and checking out other things in the truck.

As for the Flex, that’s a no go, my wife doesn’t like it.
Old 03-18-18, 01:02 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I'd be looking at the new Atlas. It's new tech, fresh on the road, and something different. The Durango, if I recall, is nearing it's lifespan and winding down. The Explorer is also tried and true, but due for a redesign soon. I also don't think there's any harm in keeping the GX. It's built well, trouble-free, and has luxury status.
Old 03-18-18, 03:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I'd be looking at the new Atlas. It's new tech, fresh on the road, and something different.
I thought of the Atlas, but suggested the upcoming Subaru Ascent instead, because I thought it would be more reliable (and have a better AWD system)

Quick Reply: Shopping for a SUV with third row seating