LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Wire came out of my coil pack connector

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-18, 09:54 PM
caverman
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Wire came out of my coil pack connector

I changed the spark plugs in my LS tonight and when I got everything buttoned up and started the car it wasn't running smooth and threw a check engine. I looked up the code and it led me to the coil pack on #8 cylinder. Sure enough when I pulled the clip off I must have pulled one of the wire out of the clip. I've been doing some searching and haven't found much so thought I would ask.

Looks like I'm going to have to buy a coil pack clip, cut my harness wires, and solder a new one on. I just did something similar to my son's GS300 but the wires on the LS are a heck of a lot smaller. Just curious if anyone else had to do the same and if anyone has any recommendations on a clip?

Last edited by caverman; 03-17-18 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-16-18, 10:17 PM
bradland

Received 649 Likes on 531 Posts

I don't know where yours came apart but they are designed to be re built....
Double check with Lexus or Toyota to verify the correct part number for your car.
Old 03-16-18, 10:25 PM
caverman
Instructor

Finally found another post on the topic. I ended up buying these
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JDGES8Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JDGES8Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and they are supposed to be here tomorrow so I should be able to get it fixed this weekend. I'll try to pull the wires out and reconnect them but I know they aren't all that easy to do even when you have them on a work bench and will probably be near impossible with the harness on the car. It's the #8 coil which is the passenger side up against the firewall. More than likely I'm going to have to cut the plug off and solder the new ones on. I'll keep everyone posted.

Old 03-17-18, 03:24 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Here are some more photos of a similar "rebuild kit" as bradland mentioned in Post #2. They are widely available on eBay.

Old 03-17-18, 07:08 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by caverman
I changed the spark plugs in my LS tonight and when I got everything buttoned up and started the car it wasn't running smooth and threw a check engine. I looked up the code and it led me to the coil pack on #8 cylinder. Sure enough when I pulled the clip off I must have pulled one of the wire out of the clip. I've been doing some searching and haven't found much so thought I would ask.

Looks like I'm going to have to buy a coil pack clip, cut my harness wires, and soldier a new one on. I just did something similar to my son's GS300 but the wires on the LS are a heck of a lot smaller. Just curious if anyone else had to do the same and if anyone has any recommendations on a clip?
Replacing coil on plug connector

Buy the connector that comes with the wires.
Amazon - LS430 COP connector Amazon - LS430 COP connector

Also get electrical shrinktube

Amazon - electrical shrinktube Amazon - electrical shrinktube

Last edited by tradosauru; 03-17-18 at 07:12 AM.
Old 03-17-18, 08:16 AM
caverman
Instructor

Originally Posted by tradosauru
Replacing coil on plug connector

Buy the connector that comes with the wires.
Amazon - LS430 COP connector

Also get electrical shrinktube

Amazon - electrical shrinktube
That's the exact clips I bought and I already have the shrink tube. I just had to do all three of the clips on my son's GS last month (they have 1 coil for 2 plugs) and it worked out fine although I was nervous to pull the trigger and cut the wiring harness. Since the GS is inline I was able to get to them pretty easy. This one is #8 which is all the way in the back passenger by the battery which is going to make it a little more interesting. Also the wires on the LS look to be much small than an the one on the GS which again is going to make it much more fun to soldier. They are supposed to arrive today but it will probably be tomorrow afternoon before I can get them and try to install them.
Old 03-17-18, 08:28 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 166 Posts

That's the exact clips I bought and I already have the shrink tube. I just had to do all three of the clips on my son's GS last month (they have 1 coil for 2 plugs) and it worked out fine although I was nervous to pull the trigger and cut the wiring harness. Since the GS is inline I was able to get to them pretty easy. This one is #8 which is all the way in the back passenger by the battery which is going to make it a little more interesting. Also the wires on the LS look to be much small than an the one on the GS which again is going to make it much more fun to soldier. They are supposed to arrive today but it will probably be tomorrow afternoon before I can get them and try to install them.

Golden rule to live by dont soldier things in the engine bay ot by the exhaust the heat will melt and crack the soldier.
Old 03-17-18, 01:11 PM
caverman
Instructor

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
Golden rule to live by dont soldier things in the engine bay ot by the exhaust the heat will melt and crack the soldier.
I understand but I don't have a hole lot of choice. I always twist wires together, then solder, then cover with shrink wrap, and then cover with plastic loom cover.

Old 03-17-18, 01:24 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

I understand but I don't have a hole lot of choice. I always twist wires together, then soldier, then cover with shrink wrap, and then cover with plastic loom cover.
Don't worry about it. If you're using standard lead-tin solder, it doesn't melt until it gets to 370 deg F. Your'e not placing the wires anywhere near the exhaust manifold I'm sure...
Old 03-17-18, 04:08 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gronemus
Don't worry about it. If you're using standard lead-tin solder, it doesn't melt until it gets to 370 deg F. Your'e not placing the wires anywhere near the exhaust manifold I'm sure...
It still cracks due to the heat, engine bay and exhaust parts are twist together, crimp and heat shrink.
Old 03-17-18, 04:18 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

I understand but I don't have a hole lot of choice. I always twist wires together, then soldier, then cover with shrink wrap, and then cover with plastic loom cover.
Get the rebuild kit and re-pin the connectors its a pain in the a$$ but works better than splicing two wires together.
Old 03-17-18, 05:17 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
It still cracks due to the heat, engine bay and exhaust parts are twist together, crimp and heat shrink.
Wrong again young padawan. Granted, a properly done crimp connection is better than a solder joint (if you use the correct crimper, which most people won't spend the money for; usually a couple hundred bucks).

You do know that there are plenty of electronic circuits using solder that sit in the engine compartment...
Old 03-17-18, 06:41 PM
mykvr6
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I broke a spark plug connector along with a few other connectors. I was able to buy the connectors and pull the original wires and connectors out of the broken connectors and re-pin them into the new ones. its a tricky job if you've never done this, you have to study the connector and figure out the locking mechanism and release them with a pin tools or pick tools. I was able to release mine with a small pair of needle nose to slide the gray locking piece out of the plug and then release the wire pins with the picks. I did actually pull a wire out of the connector for one of my injectors. which seems to be what you did. I had a bare wire with no connector. So I found a place that sells the injector plugs. they sell just the plug, a re-pin kit or a prepinned pigtail kit which is what I used since I don't have a proper crimper to crimp those small pins to the wires correctly. Its only two wires on the injector so I just crimped them with proper sized insulated butt connectors and shrink wrapped them and put some new loom over them. I've done quite a bit of underhood wiring and in car wiring and I've never had a problem with crimped or soldered connections, unless it was crimped or soldered by someone else! lol.
Old 03-18-18, 06:47 PM
caverman
Instructor

Got it fixed today. It was a little hard to reach and with the small wires my soldering wasn't pretty by any means. Since the solder was bigger than I expected I had put on too small of a shrink wrap to go around it which meant I was stuck with using electrical tape. Again, not pretty, but it all worked and I covered it up with some plastic loom cover.

The clips linked above that I got off Amazon were nice quality. I would recommend them if someone needs to to this. I now have 3 extra clips that I hope to never have to use.
Old 03-19-18, 08:11 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Congrats on the fix... had to do the same on my LS400 when some rodent chewed through my fuel injector wires on the passenger side. Seems the wires were right where they wanted to nest.
Repaired and blew out the nest, nuts and droppings and sprayed down with lavender scent. We'll see if that works. Been a month now and so far so good.

Quick Reply: Wire came out of my coil pack connector