LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Front End Clunk

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-18, 12:33 PM
Trent430
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Front End Clunk

First of all, I wanted to thank everyone for all the work and effort that has gone into this forum. What an amazing resource this is!

I bought my 2001 Ls430 (w/180k) a few months back after doing a google search for the "most reliable car ever made". I sold my 2012 VW cc and upgraded to the 01 LS. I think I am in love!!

My problem:
I have a clunk/looseness that I can hear/feel in the front end that is getting on my nerves. It is mostly coming from the driver's side. I notice it typically under 30pmh when driving on rough roads, gravel, or hitting pot holes. Slow large bumps like speed bumps or driveway curbs don't make any noise. I have been chasing the noise trying to fix it, and here is what I have done so far:

Steering Wheel column bushings ( fixed the play in the steering wheel)
Tie Rod inner and outer (tightened up the front end, reduced bump steer)
Lower Control Arm Bushings (no difference, but the old ones were SHOT)
Sway Bar Links (no difference)
4 New Tires
Alignment (helped as much as anything else)

I jacked the car up from the center and then the side and tried the "3 o'clock 9 o'clock" test and the "12 and 6" and found no play at all. I also took a giant pry bar and pushed up on the tire while watching everything and saw no play in any joint.

Possibilities after my research:
Bad Strut or Mount (passes bounce test and has no noise while bouncing it, no visible leaks)
Lower Ball Joint (no visible play, boot is fine, could still be bad)
Steering rack bushings (I doubt it, but also no play when turning the wheels while the tires are on the ground)
Upper control arm (no visible play, boot on the ball joint is fine)

Any thoughts on where to start or how to further identify the problem would be very appreciated!

Even if you don't reply, THANK YOU all for this forum, you guys are the best!
Attached Thumbnails Front End Clunk-leximg_0094.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
yick99 (06-19-23)
Old 03-02-18, 12:54 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I have a front end clunk that I can hear (but not feel). Kinda like Neil Young had a friend he's never seen.

My indie drove my car and heard it, and inspected it quite closely on the lift. His conclusion was as a first step, install the brake pad shims as they are all missing. I have purchased them, but not installed. He even tapped on my brake pad pins with his screwdriver, and it seemed to make the noise I hear. There is a part of me of course that's skeptical, but knowing that someone who's experienced with this car looked it over very carefully, I'd give it a try.

And before seeing the car, on the phone, he did say he bets it's sway bar links. Upon seeing the car, he said it's not...
Old 03-02-18, 12:56 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 166 Posts

Check the u joints on the steering shaft circled in purple
Old 03-02-18, 01:21 PM
Trent430
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 05ls430518

Check the u joints on the steering shaft circled in purple
Where is that picture taken from of the U-Joint? I am assuming you have to take something off to expose that?
Old 03-02-18, 01:28 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Trent430
Where is that picture taken from of the U-Joint? I am assuming you have to take something off to expose that?
That is right near the drivers side exhaust manifold, the black thing in the picture is my header. You can access the the steering shaft from below above or the side.
Take the drivers side wheel off by the frame there is a little black plastic shield about 8 inches long by 4-5 inches tall held on by two nuts attached to studds sticking out of the frame I believe they are 10mm. You can also view it from the driver side looking down into the engine bay.
The following users liked this post:
Trent430 (03-02-18)
Old 03-02-18, 02:44 PM
Hagar
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

WOW! What a coincidence. My 04 Ls430 has this clunking noise when going over bumps. It seems to be in the left side in the steering column as well. So I took it to a indie and was told it was the rack and pinion and to replace not only it but the outer tie rods and this he said would be the fix $1800. And with an OEM rack and pinion brand new for $875 called Marvel? NOT

SO I called my local Lexus dealer in Fife, Wa. and they said they wanted to look at it. And they came back and said it was the steering u joint I believe pictured. I pick it up later today. And its going to cost me $900. They said it wasn't a safety issue, just bothersome and would get worse. And before I let them fix it, I made them write it in blood that if it didn't, THEY OWNED IT, as in I paid once and they said it was that and so that's that. I'm not paying to troubleshoot on my dime.

We'll see how long mister tough guy holds out.

And a write up is coming on the 2017 NX200t SUV they gave me as a loaner free compared to the 2004 LS430. You'll be surprised what I found.
Old 03-03-18, 09:31 AM
Trent430
Driver School Candidate

Default i tested...

Hagar: Let me know if this works for you

05LS430518: I got in there and pushed and pulled on both sides of the u joint and felt no play. is there a certain way to test these?

Johnhav430: i used the shims when i reinstalled brake pads so i don't think that is it
Old 03-03-18, 03:40 PM
ls430w140
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts

LS may generate a solid clunk in a wheel hub if this part is worn. Long time ago my car had symptoms similar to your description. I replaced front wheel bearing hub assemblies and the clunk was completely gone. Also, I had similar problem in the rear. I could hear annoying and loud single clunk as soon as I lower the car from the jack stands. I do not know exactly what was happening to wheel bearings, but i just assume the mass of the vehicle could contribute.
Old 03-03-18, 04:32 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by ls430w140
LS may generate a solid clunk in a wheel hub if this part is worn.
Can you please clarify which part are you referring to? Current discussion is about the steering shaft u-joint but I think you are talking about the hub only, correct???
Old 03-03-18, 04:37 PM
ls430w140
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gronemus
Can you please clarify which part are you referring to? Current discussion is about the steering shaft u-joint but I think you are talking about the hub only, correct???
Yes, I mentioned about wheel hub assembly only.
Old 03-03-18, 07:46 PM
911LE
Instructor

Received 226 Likes on 157 Posts

My '01 makes the same noise on the driver's side and it's getting worse. New lower ball joints didn't fix it. I've also replaced the lower control arm bushings. I still don't have any play in any of the joints with the suspension in full droop, at ride height, and with a pry bar. After reading what everyone else has replaced I'm beginning to think it may be in the hub bearing even though it spins smooth and quiet. I don't know what else it could be and with as much noise as it makes you would think it would be easy to find.
Old 03-04-18, 03:53 PM
Trent430
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 911LE
My '01 makes the same noise on the driver's side and it's getting worse. New lower ball joints didn't fix it. I've also replaced the lower control arm bushings. I still don't have any play in any of the joints with the suspension in full droop, at ride height, and with a pry bar. After reading what everyone else has replaced I'm beginning to think it may be in the hub bearing even though it spins smooth and quiet. I don't know what else it could be and with as much noise as it makes you would think it would be easy to find.

Sounds like we are on the same page. Are you planning on replacing the wheel bearing soon?
Old 03-05-18, 08:12 PM
911LE
Instructor

Received 226 Likes on 157 Posts

I hadn't planned on it but the noise/looseness is getting worse very quickly thanks to the crappy roads in Denver. I recently relocated from Phoenix where the roads are quite good. The problem is probably bad enough now that I should find some play wherever the problem is. I'll keep you posted.
Old 03-05-18, 08:24 PM
ls430w140
Advanced

Originally Posted by Trent430
Hagar: Let me know if this works for you

05LS430518: I got in there and pushed and pulled on both sides of the u joint and felt no play. is there a certain way to test these?

Johnhav430: i used the shims when i reinstalled brake pads so i don't think that is it
I have a question for you.

If you fully press the brake pedal right before predictable clunk, will you still hear it or not? Or, let’s say, when you are driving under 30 mph, do you feel that you constantly need to straighten the car in the lane as it goes left and right?
Old 03-06-18, 06:18 AM
Trent430
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ls430w140

I have a question for you.

If you fully press the brake pedal right before predictable clunk, will you still hear it or not? Or, let’s say, when you are driving under 30 mph, do you feel that you constantly need to straighten the car in the lane as it goes left and right?
If I am braking hard it still makes the noise.

I don't notice the wandering sensation at slow speeds, but I absolutely feel wandering at highway speeds. Constant correction and a tiny steering wheel shimmy when over 65mph

Does that denote something in particular?

Quick Reply: Front End Clunk